WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Oh Mick, you should have stayed retired

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh Mick, you should have stayed retired
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, I love Mick Foley, but to me, this is the worst match of his I've seen, he looked blown up from the beginning and moves so slow it just wasn't pleasant to watch. The match is really awful, just a collection of gimmick spots and much of it poorly executed. The mess up with the three count on abyss then him kicking out was bad and they missed the shot of Daffney going through the barbed wire board.

I thought this was a truly bad match, and actually, it's the first TNA match I've watched. Is it typical of TNA's hardcore stuff? Is the rest of TNA's output this gimmicky and poorly done? Just wondering so I know whether it is something I want to check out or not.

Sorry Mick, I wish you'd stayed in retirement, and I'll try and blank this match from my memory and remember all the entertaining matches you had in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=xJZiFJ-GTvo&NR=1

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

IP: Logged
SpiderGuard
Member # 6369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpiderGuard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here ever worked with Mick Foley?
RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crimson Mask has!! Or, tried to, anyway.

--------------------
"... let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"- Strong Bad

"STOP KICKING ME!!"- Christopher Daniels @ Unbreakable '05

... I believe in Auburn, and love it.

Swimming is just floating forward

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the Sting vs Foley cage match next and I thought it was even worse. Really boring, no intensity, such a slow pace, poorly laid out and the highspots all sucked. The fake barbed wire bat looked bad too, there was a bit of the plastic wire hanging from Sting's hair. Also seemed like there was little crowd heat.

How was this PPV received at the time? I really haven't seen many worse PPV main events to be honest, because I found it really boring and the finish sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=G4becmaXrvM&feature=endscreen

I don't like being negative but man, I'm really surprised how bad this stuff is. [Frown]

[ 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Grobbit ]

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Grobbit
Member # 80932

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDvnsukyHjs

The barbed wire in this Sabu vs Abyss match looks fake to me, what's the story with the TNA barbed wire?

--------------------

bAzTNM
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bAzTNM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that Sabu vs Abyss match was better than it had any right to be. Super stuff.

--------------------
From Scotland!

My website with random stuff

Grobbit
Member # 80932

I'd give it 2 stars, passable, but not comparable to Sabu's best matches.

--------------------

Five Count
Member # 29572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Count     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calm down, Jesus. When you start criticising camera angles as a citation of bad matches, you know you should probably go for a jog or something.
Wanderlust Diaz from SIU
Member # 4108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wanderlust Diaz from SIU         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you watching four year old matches of washed up wrestlers to base your judgement on TNA?

--------------------
"(Nick) Diaz marches to the beat of his own drum. In his case, the bongos." Mike Goldberg

Dank
Member # 2517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderlust Diaz from SIU:
Why are you watching four year old matches of washed up wrestlers to base your judgement on TNA?

This seems to be a common thing with Grobbit. I thought it sounded familiar...

quote:
Originally posted by DreamIceCold:
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
BUNCH OF STUFF TRIMMED

Was the last time you watched 1995?

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody calm down. And btw camera angles are certainly a valid criticism of a company's 'output'.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"... let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"- Strong Bad

"STOP KICKING ME!!"- Christopher Daniels @ Unbreakable '05

... I believe in Auburn, and love it.

Swimming is just floating forward

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Whoa, you guys sure do read a lot into things. I like Mick Foley, didn't know he had wrestled since his retirement, the Abyss match popped up on youtube when I was watching something else and I was surprised to see Mick was back in the ring so I watched it and was really surprised at how bad it was on a number of levels, as I explained.

I'm not judging TNA at all, I was merely saying my first impression was not positive.

I'd like to hear some suggestions for TNA matches and workers I should check out, I'm far from done with checking them out just because I didn't like the snippets I've seen so far.

I'm a wrestling fan, I stopped watching WWE a few years ago and have never watched TNA before. My preference is for wrestling and I don't care much for a lot of aspects of the modern US product so In the last few years I've mostly been watching puroresu, lucha and MMA, but I realise the product is constantly evolving and I may have missed something I would like, but I feel I may need some suggestions and guidance in order to find it as a lot of it doesn't appeal to me.

Sorry I provoked a negative reaction, was far from my intention.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a question. Given your tastes, why on earth do you like Mick Foley?

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All hardcore matches have sucked for a long long time.
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foley's post-retirement career has been like a low-budget horror movie... "The Thing that Wouldn't Leave!"

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Wanderlust Diaz from SIU
Member # 4108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wanderlust Diaz from SIU         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't being negative, I just don't know why that would be the place for you to look...

--------------------
"(Nick) Diaz marches to the beat of his own drum. In his case, the bongos." Mike Goldberg

tilleycs
Member # 6077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tilleycs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
Foley's post-retirement career has been like a low-budget horror movie... "The Thing that Wouldn't Leave!"

True. He's not even with TNA any more, he's back with the WWE...at least that's the last I'd heard. Didn't he have some verbal confrontations w/ CM Punk?
Grobbit
Member # 80932

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Got a question. Given your tastes, why on earth do you like Mick Foley?

Two reasons, firstly I think he's a wonderful promo guy and I liked the Cactus Jack persona. Second, he's had a lot of matches I really enjoyed, Beach Blast 92 against Sting, the many matches with Vader, hell, he even had a good match with Norman The Lunatic.

My favourite wrestlers are guys like Stan Hansen, Terry Funk, Bruiser Brody, I think liking Mick isn't so strange for a man of my tastes. [Wink]

--------------------

Grobbit
Member # 80932

quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:

Yes, I think I'll just try and forget he carried on after his first retirement. Same way as I try to ignore most of Ric Flair's work after the Starrcade 93 match with Vader. I prefer to remember these guys when they were still great.

--------------------

C.C. Milani from NY
Member # 9769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.C. Milani from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Yes, I think I'll just try and forget he carried on after his first retirement. Same way as I try to ignore most of Ric Flair's work after the Starrcade 93 match with Vader. I prefer to remember these guys when they were still great.

Flair had some really good matches vs Steamboat and Savage after that. His retirement match vs Shawn was a classic.

It's wrestling. There are a few exceptions, but pretty much everyone hangs on too long and still performs long after their prime.

--------------------
I want you to notice when I'm not around you're so ******* special I wish I was special but I'm a creep I'm a weirdo...

Grobbit
Member # 80932

That's why I said most, not all of course. He's cut some amazing promos and done some good stuff since 93 but he's also done a lot that I wished he hadn't.

--------------------

SkullKrusher12000
Member # 4720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkullKrusher12000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] Yes, I think I'll just try and forget he carried on after his first retirement. Same way as I try to ignore most of Ric Flair's work after the Starrcade 93 match with Vader. I prefer to remember these guys when they were still great.

Thank God. I thought I was the only one who thought Flair went drastically downhill after that match. He had one more good year in 94 and after that, it was like some kind of switch flipped and he just wasn't credible in the ring.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Yes, the match with Vader is perhaps the last time Flair was 'The Man', sadly.

--------------------

U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES
Member # 3568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U can putitontheboarrrrrrd....YES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated Flair's match with Vader at Starrcade 93. Flair looked old, and very unconvincing in beating Vader, and the match came off.. i dont how else to say this.. but extremely fake looking when Flair was on offense. Flair actually has had much better matches since that PPV, though clearly the good to great ones were outnumbered by the "average flair" ones, as should be expected for a guy who was even then pushing his mid-40s.

--------------------
now you know.. and knowings half the battle... GI Joe

C.C. Milani from NY
Member # 9769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.C. Milani from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the Flair vs Vader match.

Blowing the dust off this old anecdote...by the mid 90's I pretty much stopped going to wrestling shows altogether, but I did make one exception, a WCW show to see Ric Flair live, "one last time".

That was in 1995.

--------------------
I want you to notice when I'm not around you're so ******* special I wish I was special but I'm a creep I'm a weirdo...

Slasher
Member # 26328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by C.C. Milani from NY:
quote:
[QUOTE]Yes, I think I'll just try and forget he carried on after his first retirement. Same way as I try to ignore most of Ric Flair's work after the Starrcade 93 match with Vader. I prefer to remember these guys when they were still great.

Flair had some really good matches vs Steamboat and Savage after that. His retirement match vs Shawn was a classic.

It's wrestling. There are a few exceptions, but pretty much everyone hangs on too long and still performs long after their prime.

That farewell match against Shawn was a good sendoff but it was not really a good match. Don't blame people for wearing rose colored glasses for that one though.
I am Yo-Yo's roomie
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I am Yo-Yo's roomie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should check out Foley's I Quit match with Flair at Summerslam '06 if you haven't already seen it. Entertaining as all get out.

--------------------
The 50 Best WWF Wrestlers 1990-2009: http://englishdreambrother.blogspot.com/2009/12/50-greatest-wrestlers-in-wwfe-1990-2009.html

Grobbit
Member # 80932

I saw Flair live early in his WWF run. Right there and then I wished he'd retired after the Vader match, watching him in the ring with Hogan was just painful, Hogan was, as usual, horrible and Flair was a shadow of his former self, people were leaving 5 mins into what turned out to be a excreable 30min main event.

--------------------

C.C. Milani from NY
Member # 9769

quote:
I saw Flair live early in his WWF run. Right there and then I wished he'd retired after the Vader match, watching him in the ring with Hogan was just painful, Hogan was, as usual, horrible and Flair was a shadow of his former self, people were leaving 5 mins into what turned out to be a excreable 30min main event.

[Confused] [Confused]

1. Flair's WWF run took place *before* the Vader match.

2. "Painful" and "horrible" are subject to opinion but all of the 1991 / 1992 Flair vs Hogan matches I saw were really good, with more heat and bigger crowds than anything the WWF had done in a long time.

3. No one ever left five minutes into the main event. Stop and think about that one- a person sits through the typical dreck that was a 1991 WWF house show, only to leave five minutes into the main?

[ 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: C.C. Milani from NY ]

--------------------

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seen Flair/Hogan @The old Boston Garden,I believe the night before the 92 Rumble in Albany and they had a really fun match,and the crowd was electric for Flair,in Boston no less.As I recall,no one was leaving as it was on before intermission,iirc.

I think a lot of Flair stuff post Vader holds up.His matches with Hogan when Hogan 1st came to wcw,the mid 90's Savage feud,The Steamboat match from Spring Stampede 94,lots of promos,and assorted stuff from his wwe run,including the Raw match vs HHH where they had a celebration for him afterwards,WM18 vs The Undertaker,and the HBK Wm24 match.I'll admit he was hit or miss in the mid to late 2000's,but he wasn't an embarressment by any stretch.

--------------------
"I'm like Sam the Butcher bringing Alice the meat/Like Fred Flintstone I'm driving 'round with both feet."

Grobbit
Member # 80932

quote:
Originally posted by C.C. Milani from NY:
quote:

[Confused] [Confused]

1. Flair's WWF run took place *before* the Vader match.

2. "Painful" and "horrible" are subject to opinion but all of the 1991 / 1992 Flair vs Hogan matches I saw were really good, with more heat and bigger crowds than anything the WWF had done in a long time.

3. No one ever left five minutes into the main event. Stop and think about that one- a person sits through the typical dreck that was a 1991 WWF house show, only to leave five minutes into the main?

Well, it was in Manchester, I saw a few WWF and WCW shows there, so it was probably a WCW show and my memory fails me.

You do leave if you need to catch the train and the show has gone overtime.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations