WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Mark Lowrance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Lowrance
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you like his commentary?
IP: Logged
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Liked it a lot better then Mercer, that's for sure.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

mm92280
Member # 11388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mm92280     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
Yes. Liked it a lot better then Mercer, that's for sure.

He was okay but I actually preferred Mercer. Neither one was a wrestling guy, so they both struggled a bit with calling the action in the ring. However, Mercer had that warm grandfatherly charm to him that Lowrance didn't have. They both struck me as very nice guys from seeing them in the Heroes of World Class DVD and the WWE DVD.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Lowrance line to Akbar:

"Excuse me for talking, while you're interrupting."

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lowrance had a kind of old-timey type of "announcer-thing" about his calls. He was kind of a "Tony Schiavone-type" with a deeper and mellower voice. He reminded me a lot of the Dennis James/Chris Schenkel 1950's style wrestling announcer. He didn't always get the moves right, but I don't remember as many goofs and gaffes from him.

Bill Mercer, ON THE OTHER HAND, had much more of an...I don't know...kind of an "Hey it's your old Uncle Wild Bill calling the rassling for ya!" thing going on. I know a lot of people have said what a great guy Bill was and how professional he was when announcing football and whatnot, but gawd he made some spectacular gaffes calling wrestling!!! I ended up finding it funny, but...I mean seriously...it got to the point that it just seemed like he wasn't trying or didn't care or...sorry for this one...but was just that stupid. I mean to call everything a bodyslam or a piledriver is bad enough...but he will live forever in infamy for "Nord the Norwegian from Norwegia!"

So, I guess that's why I respected Lowrance a little more, but I sure loved hearing Bill goof and gaffe his way through an interview or a call of a match.

PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND NOW THAT FAT SLOB IS CHOKING OUT JEFF JARRETT!

I'm not sure anyone in history not named Lance Russell could get a storyline or angle over better than Lowrance. I thought he was that good.

Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Marc Lowrance. I remember watching Championship Sports on KTVT as a kid when my parents had the c-band dish. He wasn't the best wrestling announcer ever, but he had kind of a dorky charisma and didn't try to put himself over rather than the wrestlers.

I still remember Lowrance's line about John Tatum's valet Tessa, "If I had a swingset like that, I would never leave my backyard."

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

MIDNIGHT RAIDER
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIDNIGHT RAIDER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up in Texas, I much prefered Lowrance over Mercer. I would sometimes turn the sound off on Mercer and record my own audio on my cassett player. Yep I'm that old, but I cna live with that.
Lowrance may not have known wrestling holds and the such in the beginning but he made an effort and he was tons better than Mercer ever thought about being. On the other hand I loved listening to Mercer do Cowboy and Ranger games.

Seven
Member # 3904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This is the worst abortion I've ever seen!" is my favorite Lowrance call. Well that and the time he fled to the top of the production truck during Abby/Brody. I think he was a great announcer.
Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Mark Lowrance. Good memories of both him and Bill Mercer.

I miss WCCW. I am glad I got to watch it as a child- strange, given that I grew up in Eastern North Carolina and WCCW never even came close by for a show. But every Saturday at 10 AM, I watched on Channel 22 out of Raleigh, NC. Good memories...

C.C. Milani from NY
Member # 9769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.C. Milani from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never liked him, but...

1. When he was doing the Fort Worth shows he would constantly beg the fans to come out and see the action live. It was annoying but I get that he was just doing what he was told.

2. Poor guy rarely had anyone to interact with, and it's tough having to do a wrestling show basically sitting there talking to yourself.

I remember one time Terry Taylor stomped on his foot, and Lowrance lost his composure on air. That had to have been an unplanned spot. Pretty funny.

--------------------
Let me share some good news: I HAVE FINALLY NAILED MY BORAT IMPERSONATION!!

PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by C.C. Milani from NY:
2. Poor guy rarely had anyone to interact with, and it's tough having to do a wrestling show basically sitting there talking to yourself.

When WCCW decided they had to be like everybody else and add a heel commentator to the booth, Terrence Garvin brought Lowrance WAY down. Marc put forth a really great feel of understated, resigned disgust with Garvin and a lot of the heels in general, but Terry was mostly an albatross.
Jody Cooper
Member # 1204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jody Cooper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a HUGE fan of Lowrance, but he knew how to talk to people about buying tickets for the Thanksgiving and Christmas shows.

I remember hearing him tell parents that tickets would make good stocking stuffers and how parents would just love to see the smiles on their kids faces when they see that they were going to the shows.

To me, that was pretty darn effective.

--------------------
Bill Dundee: It's hard work being a sex symbol!
Buddy Landel: *thick Southern drawl* Brother it's hail!

The Bill and Buddy Show

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.-Yohe
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 14 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marc was tremendous. I still consider him by far the most underrated announcer of all time. He's also a good man.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by C.C. Milani from NY:
I remember one time Terry Taylor stomped on his foot, and Lowrance lost his composure on air. That had to have been an unplanned spot. Pretty funny.

Betcha he didn't see these coming either.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

The Golden Spike Again
Member # 31210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Golden Spike Again     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are just priceless, GShea!

--------------------
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/attractivedecoy

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations