WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Al Lovelock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Al Lovelock
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering if anybody could tell me about Al Lovelocks in-ring style. I never saw him wrestle. Also did he have an amateur background and was he respected by his peers?

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al was born and died in Paris, Texas. He lived until the mid 1980's I believe. Paris is where I was born and my dad knew Mr. Lovelock. Al was the original Great Bolo and he was a kayfabe carney, according to anybody that really knew him. He was not a bad fellow as long as you were one of the group, from what I am told. But he was raised in turn of the century northeast Texas and he had a reputation of being especially difficult for black and Hispanic wrestlers to work with. I saw him as a kid in Bonham Texas doing the Bolo thing, but honestly the only thing I remember is going into the dressing room with him and the guys sitting around playing cards. The matches were very slow and plodding, but the crowd was hot as a firecracker. Farmer Jones was on the card that night and he had his pig with him, so I vaguely remember the highlights, but that's about all I can tell you.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I ever saw him work and don't really know but Jody Hamilton hated him and says he punched him out in the ring one night. He says Lovelock gave Tom Renesto the Bolo gimmick to use in Charlotte and then tried to come in and take it back when Tom got it over big. There's also a story that he tried to run opposition in Amarillo and Funk Sr. kicked his ass all over downtown.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
I don't think I ever saw him work and don't really know but Jody Hamilton hated him and says he punched him out in the ring one night. He says Lovelock gave Tom Renesto the Bolo gimmick to use in Charlotte and then tried to come in and take it back when Tom got it over big. There's also a story that he tried to run opposition in Amarillo and Funk Sr. kicked his ass all over downtown.

So long from the Sunshine State!

If memory serves me correctly, he actually was booking for Funk at one time and then took some of the talent and went into business for himself. The rest of it I haven't heard, but I can tell you it wouldn't surprise me. I tried to be nice in my description of Al, but he really wasn't known to be a standup guy of any kind back home.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations