WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Best Monday Night Raw match ever (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Monday Night Raw match ever
Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA
Member # 5559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discuss........

--------------------
"Tito Santana is like a cue ball -- the more you strike him, the more English you get out of him," Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

IP: Logged
glorifiedkaraoke
Member # 46301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glorifiedkaraoke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bret Hart vs. 123 Kid was pretty damn good.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glorifiedkaraoke:

Was just going to mention that!

How about Michaels - Jannetty and Flair - Perfect from around same time?

Didn't Michaels and Cena have a great one a few years ago?

[ 07-12-2012, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Lance Goodthrust from NL
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lance Goodthrust from NL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
quote:
Originally posted by glorifiedkaraoke:

Was just going to mention that!

How about Michaels - Jannetty and Flair - Perfect from around same time?

First one I thought of was Cena vs Michaels from Raw after 'Mania a few years ago. Think it was in the UK and the match went nearly an hour.
SportOfWrestling
Member # 48107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SportOfWrestling   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The matches already listed popped into my mind immediatley.
I remember back in 04-05 (?) HBK-HHH had a match that was GREAT and I think it went something like 45 minutes.

--------------------
THE LOST ART OF TAG TEAM WRESTLING
available in paperback & on Kindle @ www.sportofwrestling.com

Slam! website review: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Reviews/2012/11/27/20389986.html

SportOfWrestling
Member # 48107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SportOfWrestling   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The matches already listed popped into my mind immediatley.
I remember back in 04-05 (?) HBK-HHH had a match that was GREAT and I think it went something like 45 minutes.

--------------------
THE LOST ART OF TAG TEAM WRESTLING
available in paperback & on Kindle @ www.sportofwrestling.com

Slam! website review: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Reviews/2012/11/27/20389986.html

TBooze
Member # 7305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBooze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:

Yes, over here.
Pink And Black Attack
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink And Black Attack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Davey Boy Smith vs Owen Hart, WWF European Championship, 1997. (click link, I forgot how to embed it.)

[ 07-12-2012, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Pink And Black Attack ]

--------------------
The Pink & Black Attack is back, baby!!

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Following Contest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That 10 man tag with the child killer and and what's his name with the sock... you know the one. That was good.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about best, but one of the "hottest" matches was that 10 man with Too Cool, Rikishi and whoever else from Texas maybe. That place was completely into that match.

I just looked it up and it appears to be the same one The Following Contest just mentioned.

Rock/Rikishi/Cactus Jack/Too Cool vs DX/Radicalz on RAW February 7, 2000.

--------------------
RTR!

PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always dug the HHH/Flair match where the whole world thought that Naitch was going to go over that night.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

slingshotsuplex from MD via PA
Member # 4067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slingshotsuplex from MD via PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure it was Raw but Austin/HHH VS Benoit/Jericho.

This is the match where HHH tore his quad the first time and he and Austin actually PUT OVER their opponents.

Mr. Iron Anderson
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Iron Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by slingshotsuplex from MD via PA:

This is the match where HHH tore his quad the first time and he and Austin actually PUT OVER their opponents.

This is the match I would choose. I was their in San Jose, CA so that added to it greatly. Believe it was May 21, 2001.

I know it wasn't a good thing to turn Steve Austin bad but I liked Austin and HHH together. Actually was hoping they would add two more members to compete as a Tag-Team allowing Austin and HHH to remain solo more often then not.

Of course Im guessing this woulda led to HHH the good guy taking out Austin the bad guy? Or vice versa until HHH was injured.

If it had been able to run it's course for a good 10 months or so they coulda squared off at WM-02. Or turned Austin sooner and some how transition the title to HHH so Austin can win the RR-02 and regain the title for a last time at WM.

Member # 4067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slingshotsuplex from MD via PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Iron Anderson:
quote:

This is the match I would choose. I was their in San Jose, CA so that added to it greatly. Believe it was May 21, 2001.

I know it wasn't a good thing to turn Steve Austin bad but I liked Austin and HHH together. Actually was hoping they would add two more members to compete as a Tag-Team allowing Austin and HHH to remain solo more often then not.

Of course Im guessing this woulda led to HHH the good guy taking out Austin the bad guy? Or vice versa until HHH was injured.

If it had been able to run it's course for a good 10 months or so they coulda squared off at WM-02. Or turned Austin sooner and some how transition the title to HHH so Austin can win the RR-02 and regain the title for a last time at WM.

I can only imagine how hot and loud this crowd was live!!
Who Was Pack
Member # 1756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Who Was Pack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there an Austin & Michaels vs. Owen & Bulldog Tag Team title match on Raw that was really good?
Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madusa and Bull Nakano had a good Raw bout once.

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call it the all-time best in light of what came later, but I really think Jannetty vs. Doink II was the best match of Raw's first year, better than either of the two Jannetty/Michaels matches and far better than Flair/Perfect.

Ultimately I think the Benoit/Jericho-Austin/HHH match is my pick, at least through 2002-03.

The Michaels/Cena match that went 50+ minutes is also up there and I don't even like Michaels, especially post-comeback Michaels.

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like squashes.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go with the HBK-Cena match, especially as it was so unexpected to see a match on Raw go 50 minutes.
CJ in Savannah
Member # 26303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ in Savannah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say Shawn v Cena as well, with Benoit Jericho v HHH and Austin a close second.

--------------------
Because you know I'm all about that one, bout that one hit wonder.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mckinneydg:
I don't know about best, but one of the "hottest" matches was that 10 man with Too Cool, Rikishi and whoever else from Texas maybe. That place was completely into that match.

I just looked it up and it appears to be the same one The Following Contest just mentioned.

Rock/Rikishi/Cactus Jack/Too Cool vs DX/Radicalz on RAW February 7, 2000.

This is my pick as well. It just felt like a big time event.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still pretty partial to the HBK-Jericho match the night after their WM XIX meeting. Also still think it's better than their WM match....

"The Best"? Maybe not. But it should at least be included for discussion....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't really the most fantastic match, but Razor-1-2-3 might be the most important match on Raw. It really sold that on Raw you could see anything.

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport
Listen to my sports radio show M-F at www.560theteam.com

Cornette Fan
Member # 4170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cornette Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Who Was Pack:
Wasn't there an Austin & Michaels vs. Owen & Bulldog Tag Team title match on Raw that was really good?

Yes. That would be my favorite Raw match ever.

Other choices of mine....

Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena (WM rematch)
The ten man tag in Dallas
Davey Boy Smith vs. Owen Hart (European Title finals)
Hunter vs. Cactus at MSG that was the debut of Cactus Jack in the WWF

I also really enjoyed Jerry Lawler's title match against The Miz in late 2010. It wasn't the best "wrestling" match ever but it was really enjoyable to watch.

There are a ton of other ones that I can't remember at the moment.

Later,
Nate

--------------------
Hulk Hogan, you are a household word, but so is garbage. And it stinks when it gets old too.
(Jim Cornette...1997)

If your mother wasn't so fancy we could shop at a gas station like everybody else.
(Homer Simpson)

Hollywood & Vine from WA
Member # 1987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood & Vine from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal fav was when Mankind first won the WWF title against The Rock, taped last Monday of Dec. 1998 but shown the first week of Jan. 1999. The pop that exploded when Foley won was incredible. This was also the RAW that ran against the "Finger Poke of Doom" on Nitro and on which Schiavone did his "butts in the seats" comment.

--------------------
Dedicated to Mark Markley...who is at this moment trying to explain to Jim Morrison what the "Dusty Finish" is...9/22/2007

In memory of Buddy Rose, who is currently talking to John Belushi about the time Mark Markley "broke" his camera...4/28/2009

Mon-Ray-Al
Member # 3439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon-Ray-Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That guy vs Angle in the cage.

And I don't even like either of those guys but the Taker - Hardy ladder match was pretty good.

Orton vs RVD in a match that in my opinion made Orton as a top guy.

HHH vs Jericho when newbe Jericho "won" the match.

--------------------
THE FIRE WITHIN

Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA
Member # 5559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HBK-Jannetty would be my choice

--------------------
"Tito Santana is like a cue ball -- the more you strike him, the more English you get out of him," Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mon-Ray-Al:

And I don't even like either of those guys but the Taker - Hardy ladder match was pretty good.

It was. I remember the one expression on 'Taker's face when Hardy called him back to the ring and he captured the "Dammit, just what am I going to have to do to stop him?" and the resultant look of resolution that followed.

It was a small thing in an otherwise reasonably predictive match once you saw what was happening (and that realization happened early on). But it was a near-perfectly captured moment that summed up the whole thing with two warring emotions on The Dead Man's face.

I think most of us agree that a really good match tells us a story of some kind. That was an instance of one shot in an entire match that told the story -- what happened in the ring itself was window-dressing.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Ordell
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ordell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 10-man in Dallas around 2000, right after the Radicalz jumped from WCW. What a match, what a crowd.
Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shawn Michael and Shelton Benjamin had a really good match that ended with a awesome super kick out of nowhere as Benjamin flew off the ropes.
Member # 4067

quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:
Shawn Michael and Shelton Benjamin had a really good match that ended with a awesome super kick out of nowhere as Benjamin flew off the ropes.

That was indeed a great match but I am 99.9% sure it happened on Smackdown.
TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed this when it aired but didn't Hart and Austin have an awesome no dq street fight where Austin ended up attacking Hart in the ambulance?
RJ
Member # 267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANGLE VS LESNAR IRON MAN

--------------------
XSTREMEADVANTAGE.COM

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomethingSavage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All fantastic choices. There are a few here that I would strongly consider as being my "FAVORITE", for sure. Best is purely personal preference anyhow.

The 10-man tag from 2000 was supremely hot. Seeing the Radicalz added to the fray, hot off their debuts, really sparked the crowd. Exciting stuff. As far as telling stories goes? Plenty are mentioned here. Taker/Hardy with the ladder, the tag title changeover from Two-Man Power Trip to Benoit & Jericho, etc. all top my list.

Angle/Lesnar was on SmackDown in 2003, by the way. Great match there though. A SD! discussion would probably be dominated by the original SmackDown Six in 2002, I'd have to think.

Anyway, what I'll do is toss a few new matches onto the list, just for argument's sake. Again, there are matches already listed here that I think rank a little higher, but I'll just include these bouts to spark up a bit more discussion.

The Miz & Rey Mysterio Jr. had a HELL of a match last summer, over the "vacant" WWE Championship. This concluded the mini-tourney that ultimately saw Cena just challenge Rey, beat him, and go on to feud with CM Punk again. So yeah. It's overlooked, which is a shame. I really thought it'd be the springboard to catapult Miz back into the upper-tier of things again. He hasn't been pushed the same way since.

Also, Mark Henry (say what you will) did a great job of mixing it up with CM Punk earlier this year. I think it was part of the buildup to WrestleMania, with Jericho attacking Punk with the bottle of whiskey after the match & all that.

SomethingSavage
Member # 49196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomethingSavage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought of another - Chris Benoit (c) versus Shawn Michaels 2004, for the World Heavyweight Championship. The big gold belt. I think it took place between WM20 and Backlash that year. I believe it was in Phoenix.
RJ
Member # 267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benoit VS Triple H Ironman

--------------------
XSTREMEADVANTAGE.COM

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:

That was indeed a great match but I am 99.9% sure it happened on Smackdown.
Nope, it was part of the WWE Gold Rush tournament back in May of 2005.
elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razor v Martel IC Finals
Quebecers v Headshrinkers WWF tag

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razor v Martel IC Finals
Quebecers v Headshrinkers WWF tag

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

A personal favourite was Shelton Benjamin and HHH, which I thought told a great story, had both guys doing some outstanding work in one of the very last matches that actually had my suspension of disbelief turn itself back on for a minute or two.

The ending sucked, and was totally predictable, but right up to that multi-man run-in, it was very very good.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations