WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Can you identify the where and when of this Randy Savage photo? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Can you identify the where and when of this Randy Savage photo?
The Following Contest
Member # 6746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Following Contest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The WWE website says St. Louis' Busch stadium in 1991. Except Busch didn't look like that and Savage wasn't dressing like that in '91.

Given his bare waist, body language and attire, I'm guessing late summer/fall of '87.

State fair? Anybody got a guess?

IP: Logged
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savage was a guest ref for Hogan vs. Slaughter at the '91 Busch Stadium show if memory serves correctly.
PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually think that might be before winning the IC belt. By the time he'd won the title I don't think he was wearing sleeveless robes anymore. So I'd wager this is quite early in his WWF run.

Unfortunately prowrestlinghistory says Savage wasn't on any of the mid-'80s stadium cards (Ohio State Fair, Foxboro Stadium, etc.) And that looks awfully big to be a minor league ballpark or something of that nature.

I forget how much light there was at WrestleFest at County Stadium or if that even resembles County Stadium. Yes, he was WWF Champ but maybe he handed the belt off to the referee before shot was taken. And yes, he's got the sleeveless robe, but he *is* wearing MegaPower yellow and red...

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Following Contest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's certainly his face era, and judging by the weather, either the fall before he won the title or the summer after.

I just can't find any stadium results with Savage on the show.

It's not Milwaukee for WrestleFest '88:

-

And it's not Busch Stadium as the website claims:

-

And for those wondering, the above image of Savage has him in the ring clothes he wore from his WWF debut until he started wearing long pants as the "Macho King" in late '89.

Here's how he looked in '91, the date the WWE website wrongly (obviously) ascribes to the photo above:

-

Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may seem like an odd observation...but are we 100% sure the photo of Savage in the ring isn't superimposed over a crowd shot to create some kind of promotional piece?

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first guess was Milwaukee at Wrestlefest but it seems people confirmed it was not.

Could it possibly be in Ohio? There were a few outdoor shows at a fair. Could possibly be Australia as didn't WWF promote a few small outdoor shows in late 85 or 86.

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Trongard's Hair:
This may seem like an odd observation...but are we 100% sure the photo of Savage in the ring isn't superimposed over a crowd shot to create some kind of promotional piece?

Yes. Look at Savage's robe draped over the top rope, the slight shadow created by his foot and the way the exposure is more bleached/bright with light on his head and raised hand. It would be the greatest photo shop effort of all time now, let alone then.

That same venue appeared in some promotional stickers the WWF issued in Canadian potato chips when I was a kid. That's when I first noticed this venue and began to wonder. In that image, Savage is sweaty and standing on the top turnbuckle with the exact same background behind him.

It's gotta be a State Fair or Grandstand show from 87 or 88.

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

I wonder if the photo was filed in the WWF archives under "St. Louis" or "Missouri" because the venue was a Fair or something similar and the website guy just assumed Busch Stadium.
PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone posted a photo of Roddy Piper from an outdoor event at Foxborough Stadium a while back. Anyone remember which thread that was in? From memory, I'm not sure it looks the same but it was another outdoor venue and it was from around the same time frame.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Mr.Mo
Member # 8573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSem:
Someone posted a photo of Roddy Piper from an outdoor event at Foxborough Stadium a while back. Anyone remember which thread that was in? From memory, I'm not sure it looks the same but it was another outdoor venue and it was from around the same time frame.

I was thining of that. I Mr.Searchy'd the word photo in the topis and i couldnt find it. There were alot of things to look at but most of them were "caption this photo" threads.
Mr.Mo
Member # 8573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found it. OK i dont think its Foxborough....

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=124744

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking it is County Stadium in Milwaukee from 1988.
The Following Contest
Member # 6746

quote:
Originally posted by stlbrodyfan:
I am thinking it is County Stadium in Milwaukee from 1988.

See above. It is not. There is no single tiered grand stand covered by an extended awning, like the one pictured, at County Stadium.
stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the angle from which the photo was taken might be throwing you off.

In the photo there is a guy in a white polo shirt with blue stripes, if you watch the video in the link below the camera is panning the crowd at around the 39-40 second as it cuts from the crowd back to the ring action you can see that guy. At least it looks like the same guy to me.

http://youtu.be/b7vECtFbDmE

[ 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: stlbrodyfan ]

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible it's from here:

From thehistoryofwwe.com

WWF @ Evansville, IN - Roberts Stadium - May 6, 1987
Included WWF IC Champion Ricky Steamboat

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:

From thehistoryofwwe.com

Isn't Roberts and indoor arena? Based on the lighting in the photo I am 99.9% sure it's an outdoor venue.
PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I almost think it has to be (WrestleFest88). I don't think you can tell from the far off shot of the stadium if it is County Stadium or not.

The tights are definately 87-88 era. He could have already given the belt to the referee maybe? I don't recognize the sleveless robe though. That is what is throwing me off mostly.

By later Summer 88 Macho was sporting the 'Mega Power' tights and after he turned heel he was going with Neon colors.

[ 06-03-2012, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: PsychoSem ]

--------------------

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stlbrodyfan:
quote:

From thehistoryofwwe.com

Isn't Roberts and indoor arena? Based on the lighting in the photo I am 99.9% sure it's an outdoor venue.
Ah ok. With it being called Roberts Stadium I just figured it was an outdoor facility.
stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

The begining of the Bret Hart V. Bad News Brown match from WrestleFest 1988 match linked below gives you a good look at where the ring is positioned in County Stadium.

http://youtu.be/ZDct-OcZaxI

[ 06-03-2012, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: stlbrodyfan ]

PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

From thehistoryofwwe.com

Despite the name, Roberts Stadium is an indoor arena a la Chicago Stadium.
PeteF3
Member # 1298

Well, we can scratch WrestleFest. Dailymotion has the match with DiBiase, and Savage is wearing black kneepads (also the sky is pretty much black).
jerseybulldog
Member # 70200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jerseybulldog         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a second photo from the same event on WWE's website:

-

So, there you go. Savage opposing Harley Race; that should limit it down quite a bit. Looking through some results, it seems these two did a lot of shows against each other in the summer and fall of 1987, including a supershow in November of 1987 dubbed "Legends Battle Royal."

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a stadium or a race track?

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

Jeff Luce
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Luce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching over The History of WWE.com, I only found two outdoor shows where Savage wrestled Race in 1987. The first one was Sept. 29 at the Oakland Coliseum, and the second one was Nov. 16 at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ.

--------------------
Joey: You didn't cry when Bambi's mother died?

Chandler: Yes, it was very sad when the guy stopped drawing the deer!

"If the Universe was created by Intelligent Design then why is the world full of idiocy"? - Me

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

The 11/16/87 show wasn't outdoors.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The 11/16/87 show wasn't outdoors.

Same goes for the 09/29/87 show

[ 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: brawler2711 ]

Laditow Bosqueeps Albano
Member # 5722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laditow Bosqueeps Albano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the WWF going abroad at this point?

--------------------
"The three of us (should) end the album with a duet."
-Jesse Ventura, The Wrestling Album

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Race's results page at the Mid Atlantic Gateway has these additional singles matches listed, all from 1987:

07/22 Kitchener, Ontario Randy Savage beat Harley Race

08/18 Utica, NY Randy Savage beat Harley Race by DQ

09/18 Philadelphia, PA Randy Savage beat Harley Race

09/26 Nashville, TN Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/01 Salt Lake City, UT Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/02 Omaha, NE Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/18 Los Angeles, CA Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/19 Portland, OR Randy Savage beat Harley Race

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donovan Stadium in Utica?

-

[ 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Martin Tori ]

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

Jeff Luce
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Luce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Race's results page at the Mid Atlantic Gateway has these additional singles matches listed, all from 1987:

07/22 Kitchener, Ontario Randy Savage beat Harley Race

08/18 Utica, NY Randy Savage beat Harley Race by DQ

09/18 Philadelphia, PA Randy Savage beat Harley Race

09/26 Nashville, TN Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/01 Salt Lake City, UT Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/02 Omaha, NE Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/18 Los Angeles, CA Randy Savage beat Harley Race

10/19 Portland, OR Randy Savage beat Harley Race

All of these were indoor shows. Info from History of WWE

Kitchener, Ontario - Memorial Auditorium - June 1, 1987

Utica, NY - Memorial Auditorium - August 18, 1987 (2,157)

Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - September 18, 1987 (9,000)

Nashville, TN - Municipal Auditorium - September 26, 1987 (10,000)

Salt Lake City, UT - Salt Palace - October 1, 1987

Omaha, NE - Civic Auditorium - October 2, 1987 (2,480)

Los Angeles, CA - Sports Arena - October 18, 1987 (5,000)

Portland, OR - Memorial Coliseum - October 19, 1987 (4,388)

--------------------

"If the Universe was created by Intelligent Design then why is the world full of idiocy"? - Me

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

That looks very similar to the Donovan Stadium setup though, even down to that pole on the right.

--------------------

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Then again, the pic in the Savage pic appears to have another level behind the bleachers (sky boxes maybe).

--------------------

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

Very nice work gentlemen. So, the plot thickens, and we can say for certain that it's not WrestleFest '88 (although I think the photo above of County Stadium solved that question long ago).

I'm assuming then that this is a show from 1988 since all of the '87 results were indoors.

Will have a look over at Graham's site for Randy vs. Harley matches...

Jeff Luce
Member # 1822

I checked Graham's site earlier today for 1988, and I didn't see any match ups between Savage and Race.

--------------------

The Mississippi Mauler mark II
Member # 1561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mississippi Mauler mark II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Tori:
Donovan Stadium in Utica?

-

Spent many fun evenings watching the Blue Sox at that stadium

--------------------
"The best fine producer in our tournament was a guy from Tennessee named Moondog Randy Colley. He'd spent a few years in the WWF as part of the Moondogs tag team and claimed to have invented the leather-clad face-painted gimmick of Demolition, which Vince then stole from him. I liked Demolition better when they were called the Road Warriors anyway.", Chris Jericho from A Lion's Tale

Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA
Member # 5559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like Exhibition Stadium in Toronto to me, did they ever have a daytime outdoor show?

--------------------
"Tito Santana is like a cue ball -- the more you strike him, the more English you get out of him," Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Graham's site is great, but I have noticed some incorrect things on it from time to time. Do we have another verification that the Utica show was indoors?

--------------------

doublenogginknocker
Member # 39765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublenogginknocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA:
looks like Exhibition Stadium in Toronto to me, did they ever have a daytime outdoor show?

The Ex was my thought as well when the thread was first posted, but I checked and the "facade" of the grandstand roof is way too thick to be a match.

-

The Mississippi Mauler mark II
Member # 1561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mississippi Mauler mark II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Graham's site is great, but I have noticed some incorrect things on it from time to time. Do we have another verification that the Utica show was indoors?

Not Utica for sure.

--------------------
"The best fine producer in our tournament was a guy from Tennessee named Moondog Randy Colley. He'd spent a few years in the WWF as part of the Moondogs tag team and claimed to have invented the leather-clad face-painted gimmick of Demolition, which Vince then stole from him. I liked Demolition better when they were called the Road Warriors anyway.", Chris Jericho from A Lion's Tale

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

quote:
Originally posted by The Mississippi Mauler mark II:
quote:

Not Utica for sure.
Agreed. The Utica awning is too narrow and the grandstand isn't nearly wide or deep enough.

And if Savage is a face going up against a heel Harley Race, then it has to be an 87 or 88 show that is not listed on Graham's site.

This is now officially an obsession.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations