WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » From Sugar Bear Harris to Khamala

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From Sugar Bear Harris to Khamala
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did people know who he was?

--------------------
"If I had realized that you people would be so damned stupid as to give the world champion $750,000, I would have made myself the champion." — Ole Anderson, to the executives at WCW and WTBS

IP: Logged
SteveCrawford
Member # 20279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveCrawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some fans that saw him work for the Culkins in Mississippi did. I doubt that many Memphis fans did. He had only been in Memphis for a few short runs prior to the Kimala gimmick.

And he was not working in the promotion right before starting with the gimmick, as compared to Randy Colley in the WWF being a Moondog one night and then in Demolition the next.

[ 05-25-2012, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: SteveCrawford ]

ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA
Member # 5496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't recognize him at all--but then I was only 11 years old and had first seen Harris as Sugar Bear when I was only 10. While the intro video seems cheesy in hindsight, I recall turning to my buddy and saying something to the effect of "Ohh...myyy...gawwsh. Lawler's a dead man!'

That said, when the Moondogs debuted in Memphis '83, I immediately recognized Spot as Larry Latham, former Souther tag champion with fellow Blonde Bomber Wayne Ferris. (Maybe that's because I had watched the infamous Tupelo concession stand brawl so many times on this rather new invention in 1979 called a VCR. Several fans used to chant Larry at Spot in 1983; his partner, Randy Colley, suffered the same fate in the WWF years later with the Demolition gimmick, when Northeast fans especially recognized him as the former Moondog Rex, so much that he was replaced by Unmasked Superstar Bill Eadie.

[ 05-25-2012, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA ]

--------------------
www.kentuckyfriedrasslin.com
Where Memphis Rasslin' lives.
"It's finger-breakin' good."--Jerry Lawler

TBooze
Member # 7305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBooze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got to see the Mississippi Mauler and Big Daddy on opposite sides of a tag team match in, if I remember correctly, Hackney Town Hall in early 82.

I then went to Wembley in 92 to watch Summerslam. I would of called you a liar back then if you told me, that was the second time I saw Harris 'wrestle' live.

SteveCrawford
Member # 20279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveCrawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

Minor correction. Colley originally teamed with Eadie in Demolition. Colley was replaced by Barry Darsow.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations