WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Why is Zack Ryder popular? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why is Zack Ryder popular?
Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, can someone explain the appeal of this guy?
IP: Logged
PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he was one of the first guys to use social media to get over, even when noone else was behind him.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get it either. I'd think that gimmick would lend itself more to being a heel tbh.

--------------------
RTR!

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he makes bad Youtube videos, I don't see how that gets one over to the point he has become.
Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's the underdog. He's the guy the company didn't give a chance to and he started doing his own thing that, at first, people thought was corny but the longer he continued to be ignored and the longer he continued to not be deterred by it in his pursuit of getting noticed. I think by now it's more about the story behind him and his determination than it is his character, gimmick or talent.

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madison, that is the only explanation I can think of, as well.

Otherwise, his gimmick is silly stupid, and he bores me.

I dont get his appeal at all either, Sed.

j.d. out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

C.C. Milani from NY
Member # 9769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.C. Milani from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like him. He's a good worker, he makes me laugh, and he seems to be living his dream.

--------------------
Let me share some good news: I HAVE FINALLY NAILED MY BORAT IMPERSONATION!!

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good worker. Probably a nice guy. Hate the friggin' gimmick.

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Tori:
Good worker. Probably a nice guy. Hate the friggin' gimmick.

what he said

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

Slasher
Member # 26328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woowoo you know it!
Sed76
Member # 6884

Everything about the guy seems to say opening match but since Vince just seems to have discovered Twitter we have him pushed to the moon.
malenko101
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malenko101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll stay out of this, since I helped train him...lol
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get why several guys are popular. Ryder's an OK worker but not someone I would ever consider one of the best. But I also have never got the appeal of Orton or Cena (which explains why I have little use for the WWE over the past 5 years). Cena is a decent worker, but predictable. Orton is IMO a poor worker. I never liked Cena even when a lot of people did when he was doing his edgy rap gimmick. Orton didnt' bother me too much in Evolution but as soon as he turned face for that first time, he's never appealed to me since.

I think Sed nailed it though. Ryder just happened to match up with Vince's new desire to ride the social media train. He's nothing special, he's nothing terribly offensive, although his "catchphrase" is among the worst of all time.

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do people like Daniel Bryan? Why do they like Punk? People can relate to Zack Ryder. He wasn't supposed to make it, but he didn't give up. He actually conversed with fans on a regular basis via twitter and before and after shows at arenas. He's willing to laugh at himself and have a good time as you can see in his YouTube videos. He's a likable person. He's as good in the ring as most of the roster. It's not like you watch his matches and think he just started training a week ago. He's the modern day "people's champion". Someone that ordinary people can relate to and live through. His appeal is similar to what made Forrest Griffin a popular MMA fighter during and after the first TUF. He's not the most skilled, but he was a "regular joe" willing to fight to the end.
Sed76
Member # 6884

Guess I'm just getting old cause I sure can't relate to some guy who calls people broski's and says woo woo woo all the time.
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:
Guess I'm just getting old cause I sure can't relate to some guy who calls people broski's and says woo woo woo all the time.

Kinda how I feel, but then again we aren't the target audience any longer.
Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don't get the whole "he's an underdog who wasn't supposed to make it" thing. When he and Hawkins were packaged with Edge, they put the tag belts on them and had them flanking the World champ in main event programs. The company obviously thought pretty highly of him from the start.

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

And the Edge-Head gimmick was cool.

--------------------

Cornette Fan
Member # 4170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cornette Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been wrestlers in several companies over the years that have gotten popular that I've never understood. Jimmy Valiant is the main one. To this day, I've never understood why anyone liked him. I think it's just that different people enjoy Ryder's act.

I'm not that young or that old, but I do like Ryder. I enjoy his in-ring stuff and I think he's funny.

Later,
Nate

--------------------
Hulk Hogan, you are a household word, but so is garbage. And it stinks when it gets old too.
(Jim Cornette...1997)

If your mother wasn't so fancy we could shop at a gas station like everybody else.
(Homer Simpson)

Risk aka Rob
Member # 8193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Risk aka Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really happy for Zack Ryder, the guy was literally months from being on the chopping block so he does what he can to get himself over in spite of what the company was going to do with him.

He started interacting with fans and putting up those silly video's on YouTube and basically used his intelligence and desire to be a part of the business to get himself over no matter what. I think that most people see that about Zack Ryder. I think a LOT of people can even identify with Ryder and wish that they could do what he has done.

It's not really about Zack Ryder's gimmick it's really about Zack Ryder himself that people are responding to.

Smart kid, fought hard to keep his job with the WWE and he's now collecting the fruits of his hard work and "moxie."

--------------------
Master of the Figure 8 Leglock & Son of COLD WAR CHAMPION & Ex-CIA Agent Boris Korczak

Bramma23
Member # 7378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bramma23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's funny

--------------------
"Mr. Benoit, would you please get your hands off my belt?" Kurt Angle, Raw 3/20/00

"I'm assuming he's dressed the way he is to mock both champion and challenger." Joey Styles, in reference to Steve Austin owning Mikey Whipwreck and Sandman, 10/28/95

Bramma23
Member # 7378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bramma23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's funny

--------------------
"Mr. Benoit, would you please get your hands off my belt?" Kurt Angle, Raw 3/20/00

"I'm assuming he's dressed the way he is to mock both champion and challenger." Joey Styles, in reference to Steve Austin owning Mikey Whipwreck and Sandman, 10/28/95

Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA
Member # 5559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's entertaining, a good worker, and a testament to a guy who never gave up to realize his dream, and seems to have a lot of respect for the business, sounds good to me

--------------------
"Tito Santana is like a cue ball -- the more you strike him, the more English you get out of him," Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Duke Of Dorchester
Member # 6218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duke Of Dorchester   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same reason reality shows (Jersey Shore) are popular. You put yourself out there, act a bit foolish, people react and follow you. (Them).

--------------------
[[[------]]]

erik
Member # 1675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply put, Zack Ryder has the it factor, i.e. undefinable charisma and charm. If you don't get "it", you never will:-)
Still Tar Heel, Still William
Member # 14837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still Tar Heel, Still William     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Zack Ryder. I'll echo the sentiments about his charisma, his talent and so forth. There's just something about a guy who the company basically forgot about so he decided to get himself over that appeals to a lot of us. He was basically off of the radar. He took matters into his own hands and put himself on the radar. Is his gimmick silly? Sure. But it's definitely not the silliest gimmick of all time. Is he the greatest worker of all time? Doubtful, but he's still young so there's always room for improvement. He may not appeal to everyone's tastes, but he appeals to enough people to warrant a decent push. I'm glad he's getting it.

--------------------
I want you to put your hands together, and welcome him to the stage. Big round of applauds for Jackson Heights own, Mr. Randy Watson, YES! Randy Watson!

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 33 and I like the guy. I'm not going to go out and buy Ryder tshirts or anything like that, but he's entertaining. Also, he personally marketed himself to perfection, you have to respect that.

Why do people like "The Rock"? Isn't an eyebrow and calling people Jabronis kind of silly? 10 minute interviews about "Pie". It's not like The Rock had the in ring skills of Hart.

Ryder stands out on a mostly boring roster. I'm not sure how long this gimmick can continue though. At some point he's going to have to change it a bit to become main event.

--------------------
Follow on twitter @dixiefriedsport
Listen to my sports radio show M-F at www.560theteam.com

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

quote:
Originally posted by Palmettopig:

Ryder stands out on a mostly boring roster.

Is the roster boring or is it just the template the company plugs them into? The Ringmaster was boring. Rocky Maivia was boring. We saw what happened when they let them cut loose and break free from the initial plan.

--------------------

martini
Member # 33060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't surprise me that a lot of the old-timers wouldn't get it.

He's gotten over with the internet crowd and he's the ultimate underdog because the office has jobbed him out for the last three years when he's been on tv.

Ryder's a guy that creative had zero for, who made his own way with what time he could find (mostly on the net at first).

I'd akin it to what Chris Jericho did during his WCW run in terms of getting himself.

He found some time and made himself one of the most entertaining parts of the show when the camera was on him.

I think it's refreshing that WWE creative has actually listened to the crowd and given them what they want.

It's been a long time since crowd reaction has turned an unknown into a upper midcard type guy.

[ 12-22-2011, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: martini ]

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's such an underdog, I guess. People can relate and sympathise with him. He's a good wrestler and should've been pushed as a heel initially. Instead, he was unfairly jobbed out and built a big babyface following because of that. Wrestling can be weird.
Dwayne Soper
Member # 4321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dwayne Soper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the pic below _ one would say the WWE has given the younger guys the chance to shine, wouldn't you agree? Not a fan of some of them, but they are for sure a younger generation.

-

--------------------
"Heroes come and go,but LEGENDS never die...."

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One issue I have with this picture and what it is supposed to represent is that having a belt doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. Air Boom are the tag champs, I like both guys, I hoped they'd build a division around them and all that. They seem to lose as many matches as they win even though they are the champs though.

--------------------
RTR!

bomberjacklord
Member # 4879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bomberjacklord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get his appeal. I don't care for the gimmick, but I believe real talent rises above a bad gimmick.

--------------------
The secret to immortality is to live a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee

SportOfWrestling
Member # 48107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SportOfWrestling   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm sort of on the fence with the guy.

I love the fact that he is a young fresh addition to the roster. I like the story and the way he got into his position. But I'm not the biggest fan of his work.

I've never understood the appeal of a lot of guys, including and especially John Cena. I get that he makes WWE money, and I get why he is in his position. I just don't get what people see in him.

That said I like the direction that WWE APPEARS to be going right now, creating and/or elevating a new, young, fresh main event roster. Again, I know that with HHH, Cena, Rock & Taker looming around the wrestlers in that pic above may not technically be the "main event roster" yet, but it appears as though WWE is grooming them for just that, and hopefully they continue to do it.

--------------------
THE LOST ART OF TAG TEAM WRESTLING
available in paperback & on Kindle @ www.sportofwrestling.com

Slam! website review: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Reviews/2012/11/27/20389986.html

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Palmettopig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Tori:
quote:
Originally posted by Palmettopig:

Ryder stands out on a mostly boring roster.

Is the roster boring or is it just the template the company plugs them into? The Ringmaster was boring. Rocky Maivia was boring. We saw what happened when they let them cut loose and break free from the initial plan.
Good points. You are probabl right. The roster is boring because guys can't cut decent promos since everything is PG.

That's not to say all promos have to have bad language, but "dark" promos will never exist in this current WWE culture.

--------------------

Palmettopig
Member # 50706

quote:
Originally posted by mckinneydg:
One issue I have with this picture and what it is supposed to represent is that having a belt doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. Air Boom are the tag champs, I like both guys, I hoped they'd build a division around them and all that. They seem to lose as many matches as they win even though they are the champs though.

I'm not a big Air Boom fan, but the others on the list I really do see potential in. My problem with Air Boom is that they are probably too strong of faces for me. They also don't have a strong group of heel challengers to compete against.

The potential is there with all these guys, but as long as the PG culture exists we will never see what they truly could be.

--------------------

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

I really like the idea of a pure babyface tag team like Air Boom. They have not been booked well and Evan getting Wellnessed probably didn't help either. The name is awful as well.

[ 12-22-2011, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: mckinneydg ]

--------------------
RTR!

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

quote:
Originally posted by martini:
Doesn't surprise me that a lot of the old-timers wouldn't get it.

My musical tastes are current.

My movie tastes are current.

My TV viewing habits are current.

He's got a lame gimmick, that's all.

--------------------

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Is 33 considered an old-timer? I don't get that gimmick at all. I think there may be a regional aspect to it as well. It seems that a lot of Southerners I've interacted with like it a lot less than those up in the Northeast.

--------------------
RTR!

Sed76
Member # 6884

I'm 35 and from the South so that may be part of why I don't get what he is trying to do. I'm not the old guy screaming at kids to get off his lawn but admit to not getting the appeal of the Facebook and Twitter craze. I have Facebook and it's great to catch up with old friends but certainly not anything I feel the need to check several times a day. Totally don't get Twitter. I not stupid enough or arrogant enough to think that anyone wants to know or cares to know what I'm doing and thinking every second of the day.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations