WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » wRESTle In Peace: Connie Marker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wRESTle In Peace: Connie Marker
whtreslr
Member # 48

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whtreslr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cartertrent.com/obitdetail.php?id=2441

I didn't know him, but Duke West talks about him in his book, Long Days and Short Pays, that I published last year.

Here's what Duke wrote:

My style was inspired by one of the great refs I watched growing up. Connie Marker was a referee for the Bruiser/Snyder operation in Indianapolis. Marker had the ability to look like he was in control of the match the whole time. Yet, the heels got to do their thing and so did the “baby faces”. The results and substance of the matches he worked were no different than the ones worked by Johnny Shorn or one of the other refs in that outfit. Yet, Connie Marker was respected and loved by the fans. It was all a matter of the fans perception.

If a heel pummeled a baby face and used some dastardly deed to win the match, if Connie Marker was the ref, fans would say Marker was overwhelmed and not able to handle what went on. If you took that same gimmick someplace else and Johnny Shorn or one of the other guys was the ref, the fans would come away saying that the ref was “bought off” or “blind”. The other refs just kind of stumbled around the ring and stayed back until they were called for. Connie Marker wore you out just watching him. This guy worked harder than the wrestlers.

Marker jogged around the ring throughout the entire match. His eyes were always fixed on the wrestlers and he would stop, back peddle, or change directions on a dime. He was a non-stop dynamo from bell to bell. When it came time for him to get in there and take action, he was right on it and he helped sell whatever gimmick or angle they were working on. The other refs in that outfit were classified by the fans in the same category as the heels. Connie Marker however, was the baby face of the referees.

When I was in high school, I attended a Golden Gloves boxing tournament in Muncie. Connie Marker was one of the referees. He was just the same during the boxing matches as he was with the wrestling. During one of the intermissions I actually caught up with him as he climbed out of the ring and asked him for his autograph. He seemed shocked but politely obliged. I, too, classified Marker as “one of the good guys”. Anybody who stood up to those bad guys I saw on T.V. every Saturday was a hero in my book!

Later, when I got into the wrestling business, I really appreciated a good ref like Marker. Fans like to see action. When guys were locked up or just taking a break in the action, Connie Marker’s constant movement gave the impression there was a lot more going on than there really was. A good ref covered a lot of mistakes and helped sell the match. I think most of the guys appreciated it. When I refereed, I tried to help the guys out and rarely did I get a complaint. There were a few who didn’t like it when I tried to get them to move on when their gimmick was getting no reaction from the crowd or they were beating it to death. I loved the business too much to let some of the stuff go by. I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t the greatest wrestler in the world. However, I did my very best to see that the fans got their money’s worth. That wasn’t going to change because I was now wearing the striped shirt.

IP: Logged
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As he was always referred to on Bruiser's TV: Connie Marker was the Dean of the Wrestling Referee's.

Rest In Peace, Connie.

***BONG***

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one hurts. Connie was by far the best referee in the WWA or the AWA. It wasn't even close. RIP to the man they called the Dean of the Wrestling Referee's. Might have to go to youtube and dig up some WWA matches with Connie reffing.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And great obit Scott. Thanks for posting the link to it.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know that I ever saw Connie Marker in action, but based on the linked article and Scott Teal's own words, I'd categorize him as among the best. For all of the reasons Mr. Teal gave, that's more-or-less the definition of a damn good ref.

R*I*P*, Mr. Marker.

--------------------
"Jews communicate by mutually agreed interruption" - Simon Schama, author of 'The Story of the Jews'.

"Grammar: It's the rules what makes your mouth feel dumb" - Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, Oct. 24, 2013

M.DuPree
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M.DuPree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of Dick's main ref's were amazing to work with.Connie's secret to popularity was that he never reffed the big heat bouts.Winko took the bouts where the heels were going to go over with sneaky moves as he loved being the heat machine.Johnny Shorn was the in between and Marker was the babyface ref.If there was a finish where two refs rendered different decisions, you can bet Connie held the babyface's hand up.This in no way diminishes how good Connie was, and he always looked like he was in charge as a true official would.Working bouts with Dick's main refs,including Connie,was as big of a thrill to me as meeting and working some of the boys.He was a super nice fellow and at 87,he had a pretty good run in life.See ya down the road Connie.
Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, what referees in other territories where you worked qualify as selling the authority figure role credibly? Just curious what companies and names you might suggest.

--------------------
"Jews communicate by mutually agreed interruption" - Simon Schama, author of 'The Story of the Jews'.

"Grammar: It's the rules what makes your mouth feel dumb" - Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, Oct. 24, 2013

JWLPromoter from FL
Member # 3978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWLPromoter from FL   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R.I.P.

--------------------
"BANG BANG!"

"Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it."- George Santayana

"...the strongest force in the world is a woman!"- Jimmy Hart

The George The Animal Steele Fan Page!

Your uncrowned IWA World Heavyweight Champion

M.DuPree
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M.DuPree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Berger 1A:
Mike, what referees in other territories where you worked qualify as selling the authority figure role credibly? Just curious what companies and names you might suggest.

Richard,that's a really good question.There were some guys noone would have ever heard of working small shows in various places that I encountered.One that does come to mind was Gulas old ref Tommy Sloane.I'd have to really think about it,but usually unless I was working with them,I didn't pay much attention.Marker I grew up with,and then worked with,so the impression was different.
Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

quote:
Originally posted by M.DuPree:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Berger 1A:

Richard,that's a really good question.There were some guys noone would have ever heard of working small shows in various places that I encountered.One that does come to mind was Gulas old ref Tommy Sloane.I'd have to really think about it,but usually unless I was working with them,I didn't pay much attention.Marker I grew up with,and then worked with,so the impression was different.
Thanks for your reply, Mike.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations