WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » You know, when Memphis was good, it was second to none. Alas, when it was bad........ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: You know, when Memphis was good, it was second to none. Alas, when it was bad........
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 8 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

IP: Logged
Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst. Humongous. Ever.

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

WickedNick1975
Member # 27146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedNick1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there was the Dr. Frank thing. I still cringe at that.

--------------------
James Otis (in Latin) - "If Heaven I cannot bend, than hell I will stir."

eighities fan
Member # 4361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighities fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you talk about bad Memphis what about Adam Batman West snd Jerry Lawler as superking?
Thank goodness this was only to promote a carshow and not a angle. IMHO the worse Memphis ever was the commossion talked about in the worse stables ever thread.

Rob
Member # 4213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:

I watched all three and I can say without question or doubt, that white rat had more talent than all of the rest combined. I do not know what the commentators were paid, but it was not enough to try and have to cover for these.

--------------------
I am always right, because I always listen to my wife.

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Mojo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny stuff--thanks G. By the late '80's, & especially the '90's--Memphis could be Gawdawful--at times.

--------------------
Wish it was 1968 again, & I was watching Ken Lucas battling heel Don Carson once more.

Oldmark
Member # 4008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oldmark         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very funny
Troy Lowe
Member # 8575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troy Lowe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the migraine!
scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least we know that they didn't just hire women in Memphis because of their looks!

--------------------
"Now, my father cared about Country Joe and The Fish as much you probably do about sado-masochism." -Smith Hart to scizott792, Amsterdam NY 6/5/10

Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scizott792:
At least we know that they didn't just hire women in Memphis because of their looks!

One thing is clear - Nurse Kratchett had been into the Percodans.....

--------------------

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

Tabe
Member # 1083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tabe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madison Carter from TX:
Worst. Humongous. Ever.

Can you really be "Humongous" if you're only as tall as the announcer?

Tabe

--------------------
Check out my poker blog: http://coachtabe.blogspot.com

JHawk
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless Dave Brown for trying to put this stuff over

--------------------
"Wrestling fans watching a wrestling program want to see wrestlers wrestle!" -Jim Cornette

Don't miss Smart Mark Radio, Sunday nights at 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific at www.blogtalkradio.com/smartmarkradio

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great name in Freezer Thompson!

I love the psychology-- Dr. Death in a one sided squash and Nurse Cratchet feels the need to knock Freezer out with a bed pan for the duke. [Smile]

--------------------
Wait-a-minit Mort!!! I got a number 1-900-909-4LOU!!!
------------------------
Bob Backlund fought Communists, racist Hawiians and badasses from Hell's Kitchen...Bob Backlund never fought any Gobbledy Gookers.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also love it when a guy gets foreign object cold cocked enough for him to be so flat out that he gets pinned and can't put a shoulder up but can adjust his tights.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

CWFmark from FL
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CWFmark from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bushinyou:
quote:
Originally posted by Tabe:
quote:
Originally posted by Madison Carter from TX:
Worst. Humongous. Ever.

Can you really be "Humongous" if you're only as tall as the announcer?

Tabe

Heck, I think he's shorter than Dave Brown! [Eek!]

I always loved when some go-nowhere heel tried to get heat in that Memphis studio and the fans would go dead silent. Always deafening in that studio when that happened. [Big Grin]

Should have been Humongouscito maybe?

--------------------
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery
- junk email

MIDNIGHT RAIDER
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIDNIGHT RAIDER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All thjree of these clips were beyond horrible.
Dr. Death at least could have actually been interesting they hadn't have hired someone's female cousin to be Nurse Kratchett. Even if tey would have hired the same girl., more than 20 inutes before the show and coached her on how to be nurse like and taught her a couple of things to say.
The Humongous thing is just destined to go wrong from the beginning when again Humongous is average sized, and Humongous should never be a slap hands and greet kind of face, that talks. He can be a face, but he should always be a liottle bit unstable and should NEVER talk. Samantha has a nice backside, but when she turned around, not so nice. The Humongious guy sounded like he was trying hard not to climax while she was trying to give hom a kiss.
I couldn't even watch all of the Grave Digger garbage.

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Guerin, I only made it through about 10 seconds of the first 2. I presume they were of the usual high quality Memphis is known for. [Smile]
bAzTNM
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bAzTNM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume Gravedigger was around the same time The Undertaker started getting big? Why wasn't he sued? Who was the "Gravedigger"? Thanks.

--------------------
From Scotland!

My website with random stuff

Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if that's the same Gravedigger who showed up on some low level St. Louis indys in the early 2000's. I'm not sure by watching the clip, but if he lost some hair and put on some weight, it could be the same guy. Level of "talent" looked to be about the same....

--------------------
For the best in Poltical commentary, visit my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/americasevilgenius

Check out my new political/cultural blog: http://askaconservativewhiteguy.blogspot.com/

"In your gut...you know I'm right!"

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who the hell thought this Dr. Death would get over with a mouthpiece (Nurse Kratchett) who was completely unattractive and couldn't do anything remotely close to even a mediocre promo? Is it possible the two came in as a package deal? Almost anyone could have been better for Dr. Death, even...

Nate the Rat, who once again proved he didn't have what it took to be a decent manager in Mempho with The Gravedigger. Like Dr. Death, I've seen worse try to be put over as star material in Memphis, but Nathaniel Whitlock ain't the guy to do it. Nate was better suited as the manager of enhancement talent he normally was - but even there, Eddie "Boss" Winders was better in the role.

As for "Humongous", I'm not sure anyone could have put this guy over in the gimmick. Dave Brown tried, Samantha tried, Bull Pain tried, but it's like trying make chicken salad from...well, you know.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter - @wjburgess64
My followers are growing - must be the steroids.

Freeman
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

Troy Lowe
Member # 8575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troy Lowe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bert Prentice had "turn off the tv" heat.
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the debut of the Dragonmaster in USWA Memphis

and of course he didn't stick around for very long

and of course he's managed by Christopher "Honey" Love

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

Member # 1443

Icon 14 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good contributions, all. Alas, they pale in comparison to.....

--------------------

Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIDNIGHT RAIDER:
All thjree of these clips were beyond horrible.
Dr. Death at least could have actually been interesting they hadn't have hired someone's female cousin to be Nurse Kratchett. Even if tey would have hired the same girl., more than 20 inutes before the show and coached her on how to be nurse like and taught her a couple of things to say.

Dr. Death = Kenny Kendall. Nurse Kratchett = Connie Cook (Bob's wife).

--------------------

Member # 1443

quote:
Originally posted by BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan:
the debut of the Dragonmaster in USWA Memphis

and of course he didn't stick around for very long

and of course he's managed by Christopher "Honey" Love

The thing is I really liked this.....at first. The first week they showed the video (which I thought was really cool, especially the music) and Bert Christopher Honey Love Prentice interrupted Lawler's studio promo on the mike on the back to intro it - he wasn't on camera - and was really good.

Alas, the second week, we had this.....

--------------------

Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a tribute to the beauty and artistry of spoken English language, Jerry Lawler moderates a debate between Jeff Gaylord and The Sandman (during his "beach bum" phase)! Don't say I didn't warn you...

--------------------
For the best in Poltical commentary, visit my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/americasevilgenius

Check out my new political/cultural blog: http://askaconservativewhiteguy.blogspot.com/

"In your gut...you know I'm right!"

Member # 5853

the USWA debut of Jack Hammer

lol what a bad bad road warriors ripoff

--------------------

Troy Lowe
Member # 8575

You guys are killing me with this drek.
KingGregzilla
Member # 5023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingGregzilla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically they could do a MST3k episode around Memphis wrestling.

--------------------
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Gregzilla!
Gregzilla!
Gregzilla!

Dragon Shai
Member # 26632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon Shai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that Carrot Top that Ta-Gar squashes in the first match?
Member # 1443

quote:
Originally posted by Neal Snow:
You guys are killing me with this drek.

Just please, in the name of all that is holy and sacred, don't leave the remains in a park.....

--------------------

Rash at the beach
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rash at the beach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
I also love it when a guy gets foreign object cold cocked enough for him to be so flat out that he gets pinned and can't put a shoulder up but can adjust his tights.

Me Too!

--------------------
Promotional Consideration paid for by the following

https://www.facebook.com/savagehogan

Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasnt there some wrestler named melvin penrod jr doing a nerd gimmick? And i still want to know what the gimmick of the "man of the 90s" was (for that matter, are there any pics?)
jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could they have found a way to make Humongous look dumber than to have him do the Marty McFly backing away from his mom in backseat routine?
Member # 5853

the USWA debut of The Dream Warriors

did these guys even stick around very long?

what a god awful promo

one guy sounds like he is gonna cry and the other screams the entire time he speaks

and their manager is Ronnie Lott

--------------------

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine:
Wasnt there some wrestler named melvin penrod jr doing a nerd gimmick? And i still want to know what the gimmick of the "man of the 90s" was (for that matter, are there any pics?)

Penrod was a nerd gimmick paired with CW Bergstrom as a principal type. I don't know what happened to Penrod, but Bergstrom returned to Oregon and I think still does some work in Portland-area indies.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter - @wjburgess64
My followers are growing - must be the steroids.

1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere along the way, I heard Penrod had died. He was a nerdy student, while Bergstrom was the principal. Bert Prentice was involved as well. They were always punishing Penrod for not learning his lessons in wrestling. Penrod dressed in short pants, white shirt, suspenders, horn rimmed glasses, and some kind of beanie.
James D from OH
Member # 3414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D from OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Cook:
I wonder if that's the same Gravedigger who showed up on some low level St. Louis indys in the early 2000's. I'm not sure by watching the clip, but if he lost some hair and put on some weight, it could be the same guy. Level of "talent" looked to be about the same....

There was a Gravedigger at a show here in Springfield, OH around 94 or 95. He actually looked almost exactly like a scaled down version of the Undertaker. The funniest part, looking back, is I'm almost certain Joey Styles was his manager that night.

--------------------
"Keep Fighting" - Heather D from OH 12/24/13.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations