WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Nick Bockwinkle....A Real Pro... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nick Bockwinkle....A Real Pro...
unclefester
Member # 17559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unclefester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody asked.....but here's my impression of Nick Bockwinkle....I would suggest he was a real pro...A guy who puts on a genuine show with genuine effort. I've never seen him have a bad match. In short, I'd pay to see the guy and would feel he gave me my moneys worth. The late great Gene Kiniski used to say he'd give you 5 dollars of entertainment value for every dollar spent. To me, Nick Bockwinkle fit that bill too. Your thoughts appreciated...

[ 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------
Two out of three falls with a 60 minute time limit...

IP: Logged
Bucket T from MN
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bucket T from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear hear!

The consumate professional. Bockwinkel made everyone look good. He was not selfish in the ring, yet he pushed each person to be their best. He didn't stomp the mat; he made every punch count as if it were a struggle for a knockout.

I would buy a ticket any day to watch Tricky Nicky even still. The WWE would have quite the project to release a Bock retrospective on DVD.

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than Flair, more than anyone - to me, Nick Bockwinkel was THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I had no idea Nick, Lance and Jimmy had been to Chernobyl. Them boys got that rai-dee-A-shun burn somethin' powerful!

Thanks for the clip, Guerin. [Wink]

--------------------
Millennials are starting to refer to newspapers as 'hobo laptops' ... Chris Hardwick, @ Midnight, Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016

I believe vegans have an ideological eating disorder ... Mark Maron

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say he was great, too, but the fact that i don't like being called a "cretinous humanoid" forbids me from doing that.
Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Mojo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's the best that I ever saw--period.

--------------------
Wish it was 1968 again, & I was watching Ken Lucas battling heel Don Carson once more.

WickedNick1975
Member # 27146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedNick1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tojo Mojo:
He's the best that I ever saw--period.

Agreed. Flair and the rest are two. The line starts behind Tricky Nick.

--------------------
James Otis (in Latin) - "If Heaven I cannot bend, than hell I will stir."

Greg Capace
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Capace         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick was great on the mic as well !
I love some of his saying, callin us, "The creatinous humanoids, the 9-5 lifers"
I could go on and on about Nick Bockwinkle, since I grew up, watching the AWA,
Greg

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike other champions of his era who would wrestle ten different guys and have the same match ten times, Nick would wrestle the same guy ten times and have ten different matches.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Berger 1A:
Wow! I had no idea Nick, Lance and Jimmy had been to Chernobyl. Them boys got that rai-dee-A-shun burn somethin' powerful!

LLMBO [Smile]

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
—
Lawler would knock their wee-wee off!

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Nick was the total package. Throw Bobby Heenan into the mix and it gets even better.
WickedNick1975
Member # 27146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedNick1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a limit to how many times I can post 500 dollars a punch [Smile] . But I still say it's the greatest, most realistic heel promo I've ever heard. The best part is when he goes "now, I got the humanoids thinking." And I'm sitting there, I'd like to think I'm not a humanoid, but he makes a good point there. Heck, if Nick wants to call me a humanoid, then I'm a humanoid.

And Mask is right too. No two matches were the same. There was no Flair flip, there was no trademarks in the match.

I can't believe I'm going to Vegas and the biggest thrill will be meeting Nick. But it will be:)

--------------------

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick Bockwinkel was the professional's professional....and yes, I think the fact that no two matches were ever the same is the thing I liked best about his work.

j.d. out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I liked (besides what has been mentioned) was his ability to ... I don't know how to put it-- either sell or take potatoes.

To this day it is unclear to me whether his opponents were really laying it in or he just made it look that way. I'm thinking of some of his early matches against Crusher and Bruiser in particular. It looked really real when they'd lay into his face and chest with punches. I'm also thinking of some of his matches against Billy Robinson, who in one tag team encounter beats Nick with a brutal looking backbreaker onto Robinson's knee.

Was Nick one of those guys like Terry Funk who always wanted his opponents to be extra stiff with him? Was he that tough? Or was he just that good? Or both?

Bucket T from MN
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bucket T from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was just that good.

His opponents had absolute respect for him because they knew he would make them look like a million bucks. I've never once heard of a wrestler who didn't enjoy working with him or found him difficult.

Bud Miller
Member # 27129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick's a pro's pro out of the ring, too. I interviewed him for radio about 10-12 years ago. The hard drive recorder we recorded phoners on in the dawn of the digital audio age ran out of space while I was interviewing him. Man, was I *HOT*. I asked Nick if he could hang for a few minutes and we'd just do it live. Just do a couple of minutes, talk about his time in the AWA and plug his appearance. He was fine with it. Did the interview, 2 minutes turned into 10! Didn't feel like 10! Kind of a no-no on a Saturday night on a music station. I thanked him off the air for his patience and apologized for going so long with the interview. He laughed and said, "Eddie, my boy, if you ask me what time it is, I'll tell you how to build a watch." That man could unwrap a loaf of bread and make it compelling.
BadBoy Shields
Member # 1915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BadBoy Shields     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favs.....a real Pro for sure!

--------------------
Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at funeral? It is because we are not the person involved-Mark Twain

vtrockgod22
Member # 5576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vtrockgod22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one of those performers (along with Dick Murdoch and Terry Gordy) that who I knew was good when I was a kid but didn't realize just how he good he really was. Now that I've had time to look back and review old clips, I realize he was great. I know it's been said, but Nick was a pro's pro.
ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA
Member # 5496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You couldn't ask for a performer who was better suited for the role of the World champion in the '80s. As Guerin mentioned, to fans in the Memphis territory, Nick WAS the champ. His ability made everyone who was in the ring with him challenging for the title look like a million bucks. Class all the way. His pretentious interviews, in which he displayed his superior grasp of the English language, along with his sneering mannerisms, made him one of the best promo guys of the era. There were the little things, too, like his Beverly Hills address and the small white towel he carried to the ring and hung in his corner prior to starting the match--just in case sweat built up on his brow. He was often dressed smartly in a suit or blazer during his promos, but Nick also occasionally wore a loud, red half-unzipped jumpsuit (showcasing a small gold pendant tangled in his chest hair), which was emblazoned with "NICK" across the left chest of the jacket and "CALIFORNIA" on the back. Classic.

When I asked Jerry Jarrett about the decision to switch his promotion's titles to AWA affiliation and booking Bockwinkel instead of Harley as the World champion, he explained that he felt Nick was the best in the business at the time and liked his style better. (There were other reasons as well, but Nick's ability as champ was a factor.) Lawler told me Nick was just about the smoothest guy he ever worked with, putting him in that same elite class as Funk Jr. and Brisco--not surprising since Lawler had the best bouts of his career with Nick.

As Crimson Mask pointed out, Nick's versatility was what distinguished him from Flair, as you rarely saw the same match twice with Bockwinkel. I was a huge Flair as well, but the Nature Boy always looked like a wrestler attempting to be classy. Nick epitomized class.

--------------------
www.kentuckyfriedrasslin.com
Where Memphis Rasslin' lives.
"It's finger-breakin' good."--Jerry Lawler

loadedboot (originally from MS)
Member # 3966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loadedboot (originally from MS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:
More than Flair, more than anyone - to me, Nick Bockwinkel was THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION.

Did Bockwinkle eventually lose the Southern title back to Lawler, or was it actually taken out of town for a while?

--------------------
"Nothin' in this boot but a foot and five toes!" - Dr X

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA:
As Crimson Mask pointed out, Nick's versatility was what distinguished him from Flair

Well, and that other guy, too.

--------------------

Member # 5496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]Did Bockwinkle eventually lose the Southern title back to Lawler, or was it actually taken out of town for a while? [/QB][/QUOTE]

The story was that the only way Lawler could lure Nick back to the area to defend the Southern title was if he put his hair up. (I believe they played it up on Memphis TV that somehow as the World champ Nick could "retire" the Southern belt as the dual titleholder.) Lawler regained the title in a bout with his hair on the line, which drew about 7,300 fans on Nov 8, 1982. (Of course, this was after the supposed Flair/Bockwinkel match in California, which never happened.) Lawler's Nov. win (w/only the Southern belt on the line) set up a return bout for the World title on Dec. 27, which drew 10,000-plus fans. I love Nick's angry, off-the-cuff promo with Lance Russell on the Mid-South Coliseum floor after he seemingly dropped the World title to Lawler on the 27th.

--------------------

Billy The P
Member # 4259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy The P     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing performer, amazing interview, just one of my favorites of all time... and even when watching him as a kid, I loved the fact that he exuded class and intellect, because honestly, you were used to all of the other wrestlers yelling and screaming in their interviews. Nick was cool as a cucumber...

--------------------
"I don't know who invented arguing, but if I ever met him, I would have an argument with HIM." - Jay Johnston

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said it many times, the greatest thing about Nick Bockwinkel was that he made it REAL. He was so cool and calculating with everything he said and everything he did. He knew he was going to win everynight and he made every in the building know it as well. As a heel, he didn't need to be overly obvious with the rule breaking; he didn't need to break the rules to win. He knew he could get away with something here and something there, so breaking the rules was just something he subtly did as part of his character. He was one fo the very few who could be face or heel and never change one iota of who he was in the process. By himself, he was awesome. Throw Bobby Heenan into the mix and it was lightning in a bottle.
loadedboot (originally from MS)
Member # 3966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loadedboot (originally from MS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved his diagnosis of "cranial anal impaction"! I guess nobody in the coliseum noticed Bockwinkle's feet were on the ropes, huh?

--------------------
"Nothin' in this boot but a foot and five toes!" - Dr X

Member # 5496

quote:
Originally posted by loadedboot (originally from MS):
I loved his diagnosis of "cranial anal impaction"! I guess nobody in the coliseum noticed Bockwinkle's feet were on the ropes, huh?

It was impossible to tell if Nick's feet were indeed on the ropes from that camera angle. [Razz]
Lance and Lawler acknowledged that the champ's feet were on the ropes after watching the replay, setting up a bout with the title supposedly held up by Stanley Blackburn.

--------------------

Bucket T from MN
Member # 2889

It's no wonder why Gagne liked wrestling him. Bock would resort to a heelish forearm, Gagne would fire back and Nick would cower to the corner.

WickedNick1975
Member # 27146

Another great thing about Nick. Flair had a bunch of good matches where he would make the other guy look great, and in turn making himself look bad (not as far as work, but in a kayfabe sense). Nick was one of the few guys who could look strong as a champion and make the other guy look great at the same time.

Example - they kept drawing people to the Mid South believe that really, uh yeah, this time Jerry's gonna beat Nick. And they always had a little twist. Like the time Nick was slaughtering Lawyer but getting frustrated because Jerry kept kicking out. So the storyline became can Jerry get the draw. And the fans got into this in a big way.

--------------------

james beard
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james beard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with all the accolades thrown at Nick Bockwinkle. I regret I never had the opportunity to work with him as he was the very kind of worker I loved being in the ring with. Everything made sense and looked right with Nick and he fully took advantage of the premise that getting heat was the ultimate goal. Plus, his interviews were so compelling and believable. He was much like my old friend, Gary Hart, in that regard.

I met Nick a couple times and he was as classy a person outside the ring as he was a great performer inside it. If anyone represented the ultimate of what Pro Wrestling was supposed to be, Nick Bockwinkle was the guy who did it as well as it was ever done. Man, I would have loved to have been in the ring with him!

--------------------
"It's the truth....deal with it"...Bill Hicks

Kid Canada
Member # 7294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Canada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a kid growing up in the Hulkamania era, I didn't get the appeal of Bockwinkel. Now that I'm a little older and appreciate wrestling as an art form, I gotta say the guy is one of the best ever. It's already been said on this thread that he was so believable, but he really was. Everything he did seemed to make perfect sense. Just last night I was watching some Stampede from 82, and Nick was there defending the title against a very young Bret Hart. It was a great match and kind of cool to see a legend in his prime and a future legend on his was up.
Rick Hodge
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Hodge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how often did Flair and Bockwinkel wrestle each other? I remember Nick coming to Mid-Atlantic but I don't remember him tangling with Flair.
Member # 5496

I think Flair and Nick only worked together once in January '86, in Winnipeg.

--------------------

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had a match in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada I believe....might be the only one.

j.d. out-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCY39WjDYjQ

[ 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: hot stuff's stooge is back ]

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only agree with all the accolades, and add just a few more. Years after what most would call Bockwinkel's prime, I saw him wrestle Rick Martel on a house show in Utica, NY for about 25 minutes. What a great match by a giant talent (and Martel was a good hand, too). Outside the ring, he exudes class in every way and is fun to talk to. He travels to the Pro Wrestling Hall Of Fame induction weekend in Amsterdam, NY every year, and insists on paying his own way.

At a convention in NJ years ago, we were going up to my friend Brian's room to watch goofy wrestling tapes and angles. We saw Bockwinkel on the way and asked him if he wanted to watch some tapes. He came with us, and we laughed long and loud at tapes of Lawler and Piper and Jim Cornette and others, with Nick guffawing at the tapes and throwing in interesting comments about the wrestlers we were watching.
[Cool]

--------------------
"Now, my father cared about Country Joe and The Fish as much you probably do about sado-masochism." -Smith Hart to scizott792, Amsterdam NY 6/5/10

scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, you can even see it in the video that G. Shea posted--just the way he carried the title belt, like he was carrying a loaf of bread, but obviously showing that he as the champion held the title belt in such high regard. Just another simple thing that he did so well.

--------------------
"Now, my father cared about Country Joe and The Fish as much you probably do about sado-masochism." -Smith Hart to scizott792, Amsterdam NY 6/5/10

Tomcat
Member # 30202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I was walking out of the restroom at Market Square Arena I almost ran into Nick, Jerry Blackwell and Shiek El-Kaissie who had just arrived. He asked me 'if this is the men's room'. Not the john or sh*tter or head, the men's room.
Real class. Yeah, that's corny, but it's a memory lol.

Member # 5496

quote:
Originally posted by WickedNick1975:
Example - they kept drawing people to the Mid South believe that really, uh yeah, this time Jerry's gonna beat Nick. And they always had a little twist. Like the time Nick was slaughtering Lawyer but getting frustrated because Jerry kept kicking out. So the storyline became can Jerry get the draw. And the fans got into this in a big way.

I was there for this bout and it was unique as Lawler had just turned heel, turning on his partner Bill Dundee to get the title shot. Nick was on the offensive most of the way--they even did a spot where Lawler did his famous pull-down-the-strap comeback, but Nick blocked his first punch and decked him with a right hand that sent the King to the canvas. I had never seen that happen before. Lawler was taking all these great Harley Race-style heel bumps, selling big time for the champion. Nick kept trying to pin Lawler as time was winding down, but he couldn't finish him off. Nick was so frustrated that he asked for an overtime period, and Lawler pinned him with an inside cradle.

It almost came off like they were turning Lawler back to babyface but he remained a heel, debuting his new manager, Jimmy Hart, the following week.

--------------------

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really add anything, other that he's without question, the best I've ever seen, and it's not even close. He played the arrogant heel to the hilt, but the difference was, he backed it up with his speech, and his ring work.

The thing was, he didn't NEED Heenan, but the pairing was perfect.

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 6 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA:
quote:
Originally posted by loadedboot (originally from MS):

It was impossible to tell if Nick's feet were indeed on the ropes from that camera angle. [Razz]
Lance and Lawler acknowledged that the champ's feet were on the ropes after watching the replay, setting up a bout with the title supposedly held up by Stanley Blackburn.

GREATEST. ANGLE. EVER.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the funniest bits I ever saw with him came AFTEr he was retired and was inducted into the WWE hall of fame. If you remember(as many here do) Bockwinkel would use very fancy language in his promos. So on this night after Bobby Heenan(I think it was him) introduced him Bockwinkel came out using fancy uninteligiable(to the average person) language and the Heenan storms back up to the podium takes the mike and says this is your induction, speak english. The whole place roared.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations