WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » The infamous and PERFECT Ron Wright December 1972 Knoxville interview (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The infamous and PERFECT Ron Wright December 1972 Knoxville interview
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 6 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

IP: Logged
Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Mojo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from late Nov., 1972--Knoxville, Tenn. tv tapings.

--------------------
Wish it was 1968 again, & I was watching Ken Lucas battling heel Don Carson once more.

scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that awful man! [Big Grin]

That is just great. How about that for a ringside sign? "Ron Wright is like castor oil-Runs off"! [Big Grin]

I once saw the entire episode that this interview is from. There may have been transportation problems (four flat tires?), because a long match with Tommy Gilbert vs somebody is the only match on the whole one hour show!

Even the big mouthed announcer works here, up against the baddest man in horn rims, Ron Wright.

[ 08-07-2010, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: scizott792 ]

--------------------
"Now, my father cared about Country Joe and The Fish as much you probably do about sado-masochism." -Smith Hart to scizott792, Amsterdam NY 6/5/10

SkullKrusher12000
Member # 4720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkullKrusher12000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was perfect. What a great heel!!
malenko101
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malenko101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you close your eyes, it sounds like Larry the Cable guy..ll
SMN from CA
Member # 3253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SMN from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the full hour as well. By far the (unintentionally) funniest part of the show is the announcer, who clearly has never watched wrestling in his life, who calls 90% of the moves a "tear your head off" hold
loadedboot (originally from MS)
Member # 3966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loadedboot (originally from MS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time!

--------------------
"Nothin' in this boot but a foot and five toes!" - Dr X

Valueratio
Member # 4486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valueratio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is classic!

Some questions:

What promotion is this? Gulas?

Who are the other 3 participants in this clip - besides Ron Wright?

Does anyone have any other clips from this promotion that they could post - or direct me to on Youtube?

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny stuff. But who were the other players in this scene?

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

MaskedGoofIV
Member # 5862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaskedGoofIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did this footage come from? How did it survive after nearly 40 years? I thought knoxville's footage was mostly erased.

--------------------
tcaro.hubpages.com

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's from a complete hour show thats out there,I'm sure Tojo will be along with complete details soon

--------------------
gulascantfoolus
proud winner of 2012
greatest name ever contest

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Mojo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I posted above early in this thread--it's from Knoxville, Tenn.--tv tapings from a sat. morning in late Nov., 1972. I used to have this on videotape. First match saw Tommy Gilbert vs. sam Bass. Went 2 falls. Next bout on the show was Tommy Gilbert (again) vs. Jerry Lawler--went three falls. Others on the show were promoter John Cazana, tv announcer Big Jim Hess (perfect for this area's fans), ref/wrestler (who wants to wrestle Ron Wright)??--can't recall his name, & wrestlers Sam Bass & Jim White (Jim was Lawler's regular tag partner back then).They had their local live cards on Friday nights, & did tv Saturday mornings. knoxville tv wrestling was Southern redneck heaven!! [Smile]

--------------------
Wish it was 1968 again, & I was watching Ken Lucas battling heel Don Carson once more.

MaskedGoofIV
Member # 5862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaskedGoofIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the master tape of the show survive after all these years? I doubt anyone had home recorders in those days and if they did I am pretty sure early betamax systems only recorded in black and white

--------------------
tcaro.hubpages.com

Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They referred to the referee as "Brunson", could it have been Devoy Brunson? Seems like I've heard that name down around Tennessee.

--------------------
For the best in Poltical commentary, visit my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/americasevilgenius

Check out my new political/cultural blog: http://askaconservativewhiteguy.blogspot.com/

"In your gut...you know I'm right!"

Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Cook:
They referred to the referee as "Brunson", could it have been Devoy Brunson? Seems like I've heard that name down around Tennessee.

Yup, that's him.
quote:
Originally posted by MaskedGoofIV:
Did the master tape of the show survive after all these years? I doubt anyone had home recorders in those days and if they did I am pretty sure early betamax systems only recorded in black and white

Ron had the master tape and gave it to Brian Hildebrand (RIP). Through Brian, it got circulated on the tape trading market. The commercials - especially the Wolfe Dairy commercial - are almost as good as the rasslin. [Big Grin]

Here's some more clips of the show:

--------------------

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe a big snow storm was the reason that only 4 or 5 wrestlers showed up for the taping. This show has, to my knowledge, the earliest surviving footage of Lawler.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Yep, that's classic material.Jim White & Lawler started teaming here in Tenn. & Ala.--for Gulas--in the spring of 1972, w/ "valet" Jim Kent. Thanks for posting these clips, Guerin. You win a prize for doing so--will be to you shortly.Seriously.

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, Big Jim calls it the "Warp your head off" hold.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Member # 3966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loadedboot (originally from MS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SMN from CA:
I've seen the full hour as well. By far the (unintentionally) funniest part of the show is the announcer, who clearly has never watched wrestling in his life, who calls 90% of the moves a "tear your head off" hold

At one point Gilbert did use a "body flip" on Lawler, and hit him with several "brain dusters".

--------------------

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Knoxville's announcer back then--Big Jim Hess--was one of the alltime South's classic mic men. Team him up with "Motormouth" Ron Wright & it was hilarious!! Jerry Lawler back in '72-'76 was just a great heel here in Tenn..

--------------------

Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tojo Mojo:
Knoxville's announcer back then--Big Jim Hess--was one of the alltime South's classic mic men. Team him up with "Motormouth" Ron Wright & it was hilarious!! Jerry Lawler back in '72-'76 was just a great heel here in Tenn..

David, when did Jim pass away? I know he went with All Star Wrestling after the split with Fuller in 79, but I didn't hear of him working after that.

--------------------

Philly Sports Fan
Member # 18264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philly Sports Fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved those promotions with small rosters. It forced the booker to get creative, and put a lot of focus on each wrestler.

--------------------
***This post requires participatory viewer discretion.***

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guerin - Not trying answer for DW, but Jim passed away earlier this year (or late last year) after many years of battling cancer. He had missed a couple of GC reunions but was back last year and looked great. We were all hoping he'd beaten the cancer, but sadly it wasn't to be.

Wonderful guy and is sorely missed by all who knew him.

--------------------

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Thanks diamondmd--just got in from work & read this. I didn't really know--so thanks for the info.

--------------------

mrknoxville
Member # 1816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrknoxville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:
quote:
Originally posted by Tojo Mojo:

David, when did Jim pass away? I know he went with All Star Wrestling after the split with Fuller in 79, but I didn't hear of him working after that.
Big Jim Hess was a salesman at WTVK Channel 26 for many years, even when he was the announcing Knoxville wrestling before Ron Fuller bought the Knoxville territory from John Cazana and during the All-Star years after they broke off from Fuller (Knoxville wrestling moved from Channel-26 to WBIR Channel-10 after Fuller bought the promotion). I think he remained at channel 26 until WTVK moved to channel 8 in the late '80's, when he went to Channel 43 as salesman, where another former Knoxville area wrestling announcer, Phil Rainey was station manager. Big Jim Hess, also did a lot of commercials in Knoxville for local businesses, such as car dealers and furniture stores (His catch phrase was "No Boby but Noooobody got lower prices than"). As far as when he died, I was under the impression that he died several years ago (maybe as far as ten years ago) instead of just the last year or so.

[ 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: mrknoxville ]

Member # 3966

quote:
Originally posted by scizott792:

Even the big mouthed announcer works here, up against the baddest man in horn rims, Ron Wright. [/QB]

There is something about that look - mutton chops, zip-up long-sleeve sweater, and black horn rim glasses that just screams "Bad A**"!! And with an accent that makes him sound like he just fell off the tater truck, overall that is one heck of a presentation!

I like Big Jim, though. Reminds me of Southwest's Gene Goodson.

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

I totally screwed up. I thought Shea was asking about Jim White. Didn't cross my mind he was asking about Jim Hess.

So now it's back to you David. Sorry, G....

--------------------

mrknoxville
Member # 1816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrknoxville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diamondmd:
I totally screwed up. I thought Shea was asking about Jim White. Didn't cross my mind he was asking about Jim Hess.

i assumed he was asking about Jim Hess , since he was the announcer for both John Cazana'a Knoxville promotion and the All-Star promotion that split off from Fuller's group. Maybe I screwed up and Shea was asking about Jim White. I don't know that Jim White ever wrestled for Al-Star.
Member # 1443

quote:
Originally posted by diamondmd:

No problem. At the Knoxville SMW Night of the Legends show in 94 they said he had passed away, so I knew it was before that.

--------------------

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sem...that snowstorm story is what Tommy Gilbert told me was the reason behind him wrestling both Bass and Lawler as well....must be the truth.

j.d. out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first saw this clip I got my wife (not a wrasslin' fan by any stretch of the imagination) to watch it. She got really mad at him, talking about how horrible he was. That shows how good he was. Shoot, a lot of people knew he worked for Kingsport Press and was a nice guy. That didn't stop them from getting worked up when they saw him on tv or at the arenas. Ron told me he stayed close to home mainly because he didn't want to be away from his kids. I think a psycho hillbilly routine would have been big in other territories, especially after Deliverance came out. Can you imagine how thrilled I was, after watching him on tv as a kid, to sit in his kitchen and interview him? Sure, he kayfabed a lot; I really didn't care. I hear his health hasn't been good for some time; I'm sure he could use all the good thoughts and prayers fans send his way.
Member # 3966

How was he as a wrestler?

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Thing is, Ron has always had the rep as a "motormouth", but brother Don is just as good. I love hanging out with Don every year at the GCWR and just hearing him tell stories. One of the funniest human beings I've ever been around.

--------------------

Member # 1443

I know David has answered this before, but I've forgotten. Whitey Caldwell was killed 10/7/72 and this TV was (I think) 12/2/72. How long was Ron a babyface after Whitey died?

BTW David, I got your mail today. Thanks so much, buddy. [Smile]

--------------------

Member # 1443

quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:
I know David has answered this before, but I've forgotten. Whitey Caldwell was killed 10/7/72 and this TV was (I think) 12/2/72. How long was Ron a babyface after Whitey died?

BTW David, I got your mail today. Thanks so much, buddy. [Smile]

BUMP.

--------------------

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

The tv show the clips are from late Nov., 1972---Ron was only cheered a very short time, mainly because he subbed for Whitey Caldwell vs. the hated Don & Al Greene. Before long, Ron was hated as much as ever.Ron was no great technical wrestler, but, a super brawler, & he knew all the dirty tactics. Sometimes he would be smoking a lit cigar coming to the ring, & he would use to burn his opponents. One of the best heels that I ever saw--could of been big in a number of territories, if pushed right. He was magic on the mic, with his loud, obnoxious hillbilly way of ranting & raving. A true classic in the '60's & '70's!

--------------------

Member # 1443

I'd never heard of him before until I saw him on Ron Fuller's USA Wrestling in Chattanooga in 3/88. From the first time I heard that LOUD, abrasive East Tennessee voice, I wanted to kill him. [Smile]

--------------------

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

So did thousands of other fans, believe me. The guy got super heat!

--------------------

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great upload, Guerin!

I've only seen clips of Ron Wright as a much older and heavier man in a wheelchair. (BTW, was his inability to walk a gimmick? For his sake, I hope so!)

The man certainly had the gift of gab and was glib as hell. What makes this instance and so many others from various southern promotions as good as they were is really a simple formula: know what you want to do and how to get it done in an impromptu fashion.

The secret ingredient in the mix was that they didn't plan it out to the point where the spontaneity was lost. In which case, the angles came across as relatively realistic, depending on how preposterous the concept was. Much of today's efforts are so very stilted and sterile. I've actually felt embarrassed for some of the guys I've seen on WWE and TNA who are clearly reading off cue cards, desperately attempting to remember where to place the pauses and inflections as they'd been so instructed.

What results is a lack of genuine emotion, their soulless blathering ringing as counterfeit, utter fakery at its worst. Being a Westerner and then a Northwesterner all my life, I've loved most of the Southern promotions even before I got to see them. The mark mags of my youth were enough to sell me on what they were presenting.

Ron Wright, Jim Cornette and so many others prove my point. Before the territories died, the vast majority of promotions had their own regional sensibilities and styles. Since they disappeared due to national expansion, there's a bland sameness with minimal variation. Unfortunately, too many of the independent companies take their cue from WWE and TNA. Those that do look like poor imitations of what the national companies are doing. (Happily, certain indys make a sincere attempt to employ a philosophy that deviates from the impotence of the aforementioned "leaders.")

What's my point? Oh, yeah ... my thanks to you and others that post these terrific reminders of what pro wrestling once was. You should be lauded for providing irrefutable visual evidence of the biz when it could be fun and exciting, which is to say before it went national.

Whew ... am I wordy or what?  -

[ 08-15-2010, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Richard Berger 1A ]

--------------------
"Jews communicate by mutually agreed interruption" - Simon Schama, author of 'The Story of the Jews'.

"Grammar: It's the rules what makes your mouth feel dumb" - Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, Oct. 24, 2013

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

In other words, Rich--you like old time Southern rasslin'!! [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations