WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Pro Wrestling in South Africa - Piecing Together Information and Looking for More (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pro Wrestling in South Africa - Piecing Together Information and Looking for More
dw
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Warrior/Masters over for Paul in 91 and he stayed in South Africa for the next 10 years. Butch married a South African lady, but she wasn't in the business.

--------------------
It may be my sole purpose in life is, quite simply, to serve as a bad example to others.

IP: Logged
Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Dusty! I'm writing Butch in the fantasy league (I am using him long-term). He is "suspended" right now, he'll come back sayin' he much enjoyed the trip back there! Beat a coupla local guys, nice payday, etc. Have NOT decided whether to bring Voges over here for him to feud with.

No idea where I got the reference his wife was in the business.

--------------------
Michael Moriarty as Henry Wiggen in, "Bang the Drum Slowly" (1973)

"From here on in, I rag nobody"

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides South Africa and Nigeria did any other countries in Africa have a regular wrestling circuit?

I have come across results from Zimbabwe, Canary Islands and Eygpt.

--------------------
email me at: inferno4l@hotmail.com
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
http://mlwradio.com/

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a fantastic thread...one that deserves the bump it gets every so often.

And good to see "dw" still shows up from time to time.

j.d. out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

dw
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We toured Mozambique for Paul.

--------------------
It may be my sole purpose in life is, quite simply, to serve as a bad example to others.

PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
Besides South Africa and Nigeria did any other countries in Africa have a regular wrestling circuit?

Zambia had a promotion in the 1960's--a man by the name of Fred Coates whom I'm otherwise unfamiliar with was the promoter and top star. They seemed to use a lot of European big men and "freaks" like Quasimodo and Ian Campbell, as well as Ski Hi Lee.

I'm not sure when South Africa made the switch, but looking at bills from the 1960's and '70s, at one time they were using the European round system and possibly the other Lord Mountevans rules as well (i.e., "two falls, two submissions, or a knockout" and public warnings et al). Zambia was the same way.

Spain had its own wrestling scene until the late '60s. Were those Canary Island cards under their jurisdiction or a separate company?

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to info about the pro wrestling scene in Northern Rhodesia as Zambia was known in the colonial days.
Pro Wrestling in Northern Rhodesia, Now Known as Zambia

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Dude (Coates) had gigantic hands and a gigantic diaper.

nuklz
Member # 68748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nuklz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrestling has all but disappeared in south africa. Now we have some weird show called thunder strike or something of that sort. Totally disgraceful to the name of wrestling. Wrestling hasn't been promoted and executed as it should thereby losing its allure and supporters. Wish we could go back to the days of sammy cohen and p l maharaj promotions. Those where the days when wrestling was big here. No idea why it fizzled out. These days we r bombarded by WWE wrestling on tv.
nuklz
Member # 68748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nuklz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrestling has all but disappeared in south africa. Now we have some weird show called thunder strike or something of that sort. Totally disgraceful to the name of wrestling. Wrestling hasn't been promoted and executed as it should thereby losing its allure and supporters. Wish we could go back to the days of sammy cohen and p l maharaj promotions. Those where the days when wrestling was big here. No idea why it fizzled out. These days we r bombarded by WWE wrestling on tv.
Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello new member Nuklz

Well, the "wish we could go back" part means you've joined the right message board.

So which type of disgrace is "Thunder Strike"? Is it a mixed-martial arts type thing or some sort of "reality" television? If it is MMA, I think that in this day and age, it is a reasonable type substitute.

YOUR job (please), is throw whatever nostalgia on this board as you can. As you can see, it is of interest.

--------------------
Michael Moriarty as Henry Wiggen in, "Bang the Drum Slowly" (1973)

"From here on in, I rag nobody"

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the Australian and New Zealand promotions ever send wrestlers to tour in South Africa or have any other relations? I ask because those three nations traditionally match up with one another in rugby union and cricket.
Jeff Luce
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Luce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Feb. 1981, Australian based wrestler Mario Milano came in for his second tour. This is from a newspaper article from Terry Justice's TNT Times.

--------------------
Joey: You didn't cry when Bambi's mother died?

Chandler: Yes, it was very sad when the guy stopped drawing the deer!

"If the Universe was created by Intelligent Design then why is the world full of idiocy"? - Me

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad this thread was bumped. Really like hearing about wrestling in Africa.

Anyone have any stories regarding Jan Wilkens? I've talked with guys that have worked him and he seems quite a character.

--------------------

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

This thread came up in another, so I'm bumping it up for more discussion.
stipe
Member # 115491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stipe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I enjoyed that Top 20 South African wrestlers on Youtube.

My favorite videos were for IIRC 2010-11, later little declined.

Above mentioned Tornado II is worth checking out, size of Vader but better moonsaults. Plus
pushing 50.

Wish we knew more about those tours of Nigeria, apparently good crowds but stiffed for money.

Luke Gallows wrestled someone there, no ring and worst "match" fake fight ever (youtube).

--------------------
Bad english warning !

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Years ago when Power Mike was running Nigeria he was bringing in a bunch of wrestlers to face either himself or later Power Uti. There was a time when Lagos Nigeria was getting old IWA Martinez tapes and one of the old WWF tapes from Allentown, and they were a few years behind.

Once in awhile the country got tapes from other parts of the world.

I recall talking with Buddy Rose and later Ed Wiskoski as both went over for Uti. I know Rose wrestled Uti at a soccer stadium in Lagos and Wiskoski was with him on the trip. Both Rose and Easy Ed have/had great memories and one thing stuck out in their heads is their flight was departing when they heard about the Space Shuttle Challenger exploding.

Both were paid, and paid well. I know Michael Hayes, Chris Adams, Sgt. Slaughter Jimmy Snuka went over around this time. And earlier Mil Mascaras, Bulldog Brower, Bill Eadie and Mighty Igor went over too.

--------------------

K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they speaking Afrikaans in that video?

--------------------
"It's the same all over: you fight for your life until death do you part -- and then you got it made." (Lester Young)

Pier 6er from NY
Member # 916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pier 6er from NY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by K. Fabian McClinch:
Are they speaking Afrikaans in that video?

Yes, they are. I wonder how bilingual South Africa is (how dominant English is to Afrikaans, or vice versa in both daily and official usage). I used to have a South African boss many years ago, and he told me that Dutch people used to tell him that his language (Afrikaans) sounded like "ancient Dutch".

--------------------
MMA is the new pro wrestling (and has been for quite awhile).

"A woman's place is where I put 'em"
- The Latin Heartthrob, Al Perez in World Class Championship Wrestling (approx. 6:10 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXOg4eKN79E

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Here is a link to a Nigerian Newspaper briefly discussing one the tours of Lagos Nigeria that Johnny Powers, Dick Brower, Ernie Ladd and a few others did while their TV was showing old Martinez tapes.

http://tribuneonlinetv.com/ancient-wrestler-in-pix/

--------------------

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Wanted to bump this up. As it was 30 years ago today that Power UTI defeated Buddy Rose at Taskun Balogun Stadium in Lagos Nigeria.

--------------------

DC
Member # 263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone knows anything about a South African wrestler Ferdie "The Hammer" Kemp? I found this photo online and found his title belt interesting.

-

Why would a South African wrestler be the "USWA" heavyweight champion?

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the Pinkie George and Ole discussions, this one's among my favorite threads of all time.
dw
Member # 2106

Ferdie was one of Paul Lloyd's top heels. Not much of a worker but a heat magnet. He worked from about 1989 to 2010. The belt explanation is fairly simple. Paul liked the design and had one made. I asked how the US part worked and he had a name that fit just fine in South Africa. A name I don't remember 20+ years later, but worked for the promotion. The fans in that part of the world had no idea about the USWA here in the states.

--------------------

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the official title of South Africa, until the 1930s, was the Union of South Africa; maybe it was tied to that (or could be made to fit).

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dw:
Ferdie was one of Paul Lloyd's top heels. Not much of a worker but a heat magnet. He worked from about 1989 to 2010. The belt explanation is fairly simple. Paul liked the design and had one made. I asked how the US part worked and he had a name that fit just fine in South Africa. A name I don't remember 20+ years later, but worked for the promotion. The fans in that part of the world had no idea about the USWA here in the states.

Upper Soweto White Assholes?
dw
Member # 2106

Possible, but not likely.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations