WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » UWF's Colonel Red

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UWF's Colonel Red
Chan of Chan and Charlie
Member # 292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chan of Chan and Charlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have watched some of the UWF on ESPN Classic.

I was wondering who is Colonel Red, the manager? Did he work elsewhere?

Thanks

IP: Logged
Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from the "dead letter" office.

Has any info emerged on Colonel Red? Other than he was a funny, funny, guy doing a very bad job entertaining thousands?

Was he a member of the Witness Protection program? Was he, in fact, a member of the WCMB hierarchy and there is a conspiracy of silence I am unaware of? Same for Rocky Mountain Thunder.

It takes longer to find things that aren't there.

--------------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours." -
Richard Bach

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did he manage ivan koloff in the uwf?
Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Red (or anyone else, for that matter) entertaining thousands? Obviously you have grossly overestimated the popularity of Abrams' UWF.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter - @wjburgess64
My followers are growing - must be the steroids.

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant "thousands" as a cumulative guesstimate, and certainly not paid attendance. A LOT of the audience look like they were allowed to just wandered in, and I recall no celebrity shots.

So, we have had our fun kicking dirt on poor Herb.

I am going to try to keep the thread alive long enough to get the poop on Colonel Red. He DOESN'T look like the type who would be able to erase all documentation of his existence. Unless he was the guy bugging the offices of "Mr. Electricity" for the CIA.

--------------------
Richard Bach

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
did he manage ivan koloff in the uwf?

Sorry, your post was so brief, I skipped by it. Yes, your one sentence contains pretty well all the information available - managed Ivan Koloff in Herb Abram's UWF. Most opinions are that he was unintentionally, hilariously bad.

I am wondering if there some sort of inside joke or conspiracy that is keeping him so anonymous.

--------------------
Richard Bach

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UWF rocked and made wrestling seem like it was 1985 again.
Blind Guy
Member # 40601

I sense some irony. The thing that tugs at me, is that Herb Abrams and Gordon Scozzari had their shortcomings. But at the time, who could say that they were 100% doomed to failure? I don't think it is a huge leap of faith to consider, with a little bit of (dumb) luck and a few factors being different, we might be viewing the AWF and UWF in a more respectful way.

I like your reference to 1985. With a bit more research, I think I will come up with a date around there, where my opinion of the product started going downhill.

--------------------
Richard Bach

Phobos271
Member # 10147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phobos271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
UWF rocked and made wrestling seem like it was 1985 again.

You may be the only one that feels that way lol. I watched it and still do and yes they brought in the names but...eh...um...yeah.
Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Phobus271

The UWF showa can be considered "watchable". I've seen other message boards where every show has been analyzed and every embarrassing moment was appropriately mocked. The names were there, a few matches went well, and most TV's do have a "mute" button. So you watched UWF and didn't obsess over learning more about the true identity of Colonel Red?

--------------------
Richard Bach

brawler2711
Member # 26849

the orndorff/steve williams angle was well done.

muraco, blair, cactus, spivey and other well known names were in.

the penta looked good on tv and the familer voices of craig degeorge and bruno were on the stick for some of the show.

i like the captain lou segment as well.

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a name like "Colonel Red", I would have expected someone inspired by Kenny Delmar's Senator character on Fred Allen's radio show ("it's a joke, son) or Foghorn Leghorn (inspired by the Senator as well).

--------------------

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

I'll match your Fred Allen reference, and raise you an Oofty Goofty! Nice reference, fellow iconoclast. I believe Foghorn was direct spoof of the radio character.

Colonel Red was more like the bast**d spawn of Foghorn and Natalya from the Bullwinkle show.
Sort hard to really tell as he was barely coherent. Maybe did the same pre-taping prep work as Mr. Electricity.

Yes I knew Bruno and preppy Craig original made the call. But I think that lasted as long as it took for the first paycheck to NOT clear. Then we had Herb with "Coach" John Tolos (who I have DESPISED since age five, when I first stumbled onto TV wrestling).

--------------------
Richard Bach

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it the same guy who was Dr. Red Roberts in the GWA?

--------------------
"I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen."
Orson Welles on "Transformers: the Movie"

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 14 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good Colonel's work was discussed here:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105612

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
Is it the same guy who was Dr. Red Roberts in the GWA?

Absolutely not. That guy was a real shrink btw.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:
The good Colonel's work was discussed here:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105612

Yes, we passed by on that thread. Still skunked on the true identity of the Colonel. Thanks CM for saving me a wild goose chase on Red Roberts. YOU weren't Colonel Red, perchance?

--------------------
Richard Bach

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Colonel Red probably went on to a not particularly lucrative career as Bruce Pobanz' webmaster/"testemonial" writer.

--------------------

TheGreatKenji
Member # 8909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheGreatKenji     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Howard Brody's book:

Colonel Red's real name was Marty Yesburg.

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Dear Kenji, you are a gent and a fine example of the bushido tradition. I have no idea why I was obsessing over that speck of information. The chances of me spotting it in that book would be NIL

--------------------
Richard Bach

DR. PAPUFNIK
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. PAPUFNIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here ya go.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foothills-Event-Calander/116854431710422#!/profile.php?id=593155790

TheGreatKenji
Member # 8909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheGreatKenji     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to be of service. I was reading through the book today, and just happen to come across that tidbit of info.
Bombs Away 21
Member # 2223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bombs Away 21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bburgess64 from OR via VA:
With a name like "Colonel Red", I would have expected someone inspired by Kenny Delmar's Senator character on Fred Allen's radio show ("it's a joke, son) or Foghorn Leghorn (inspired by the Senator as well).

Senator Beauregard Claghorn, on the Fred Allen show from '45' to '49

--------------------
"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations