WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » AWA in 1991

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AWA in 1991
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just some interesting bits of info to add to the ill fated demise of the AWA.

The Last AWA Card promoted by the Gagne Family before AWA Closed:

Courtesy of Clawmaster
http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000988

"Results from the AWA Card held at
5/3/91 Bloomington-Kennedy High School, Bloomington, MN
Greg Gagne & Wahoo McDaniel def. Mike Enos & Wayne Bloom when Gagne pinned Enos
Larry Cameron def. Tommy Jammer
Steve O def. Ricky Rice
Buck Zumhofe def. Johnny Love
The Karate Kid def. Tokyo Joe "

Most of us know this already. I just posted it to set up the rest of topic

PWI still posting AWA Ratings as of their May 1991 issue

I read something on Google Groups (Google aquired alot of the old BBS archives from the 80s and early 90s, so it's cool to see what computer geeks/wrestling fans were writing about before the days of a real Internet)
Even though there was barely any life left in the AWA, the Apter mags (PWI) still were printing ratings for them in May 1991.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/browse_thread/thread/ac1a4f1d2046bc5b/ced98f07b508ff5a?hl=en&q=AWA+wrestling
Posted by Andrew Jay Shurak on rec.sport.pro-wrestling on 5/7/1991. Subject "Pro Wrestling Illustrated Report"

"A bunch of other leagues are listed in small type (like mine above)
AWA: No champ, Tommy Jammer, The Trooper, Steve O, Col. DeBeers, Larry Cameron,
Mike Enos, Brad Rhenigans, Buck Zumhofe, Wayne Bloom, Jake Milliman
(WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?). Supposedly, Wahoo McDaniel and Greg Gagne won the
tag title last weekend. "

Two things of interest

1. Either Apter came up with this bogus top ten contenders list himself or Gagne sent it in. Tommy Jammer as #1 contender? Jake Milliman #10?
According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Jammer , Tommy Jammer may had been the last guy Larry Zbyszko was feuding with before the AWA champ left for WCW and had his belt stripped, although no results or TV shows support this.

2. Another thing is about what the person posting believes of the May 3rd 1991 card in which Greg Gagne & Wahoo defeated the Destruction Crew. Were DJ Peterson & The Tooper stripped of the titles? Were they given back to the Destruction Crew? or was this match between the two top tag teams for the AWA Tag Team Championship?
Actually, that is not the first time I have seen someone refer to Greg Gagne & Wahoo McDaniel as AWA tag champs. However there is no AWA title history anywhere that acknowledges these title stripes & switches.

Here is an interesting conversation between three other guys from the same BBS who are talking about the infamous last AWA card.
One guy seems to think that they were showing promos for the match on ESPN, but the AWA/ESPN contract had already ended in 1990. So, I am sure he meant local TV in Minneapolis, who were showing "classic" matches during AWA's All Star Wrestling timeslot.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/browse_thread/thread/eb7eef7de26faa0a/c0758a3418491779?hl=en&q=AWA+wrestling

"I heard it on TV (ESPN I think). Gagne gabbed about coming out of retirement
to kick butt. The crew came out crying about wanting 2 refs, international
object check, to top rope acts,.....cry and moan. From this I expected they
would loose. I found out yesterday that the crew lost, but they won't show
the match. The match appeared to be a squash. Sad....... "

It also seems apparent that many knew Wayne Bloom and Mike Enos were on their way to the WWF.

AWA No Longer Considered World Title Status by the Apter mags

Here, Mr. Shurak posts more about his recent issue of PWI. This time, he notes that the AWA Title, although vacant, had it's "World Title Status" removed, while USWA had gained "World Title Status":
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/browse_thread/thread/30c2d016673d15d9/b99e2aa379c9cf0d?hl=en&q=AWA+wrestling

"PWI is heavily biased towards the WCW/NWA, who advertises heavily in there.
It looks like they are trying to set up the USWA as the logical succesor to
the AWA, who they have removed from World Title Status. Note that there are
two or three other leagues with world status besides WWF, WCW, USWA:
the PWA, IWCCW, and UWF are included in this. "

IWCCW? So was this the return of World Class?

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

"A draw is like kissing your sister" ~ Larry Nelson, 1987

IP: Logged
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be way out of time frame, but I think the IWCCW was Tony Rumble's thing out of New England. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
I could be way out of time frame, but I think the IWCCW was Tony Rumble's thing out of New England. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. It was ICW, then Kevin Von Erich got involved briefly and the name changed to IWCCW as it "merged" with World Class.
codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The IWCCW was a merger of World Class and ICW, but the World Class part of it ended quickly, if I recall. I never saw any clips, but read an article or two in wrestling mags. I believe they had a couple (or more) of shows with either Kevin or Kerry and mostly local guys.

The Apter ratings could be a bit silly. They recinded "World" title status for the WWF back when Backlund was champ, but never reinstated it (at least in the listings) as a "World Title" when Hogan was champ and the WWF was THE company. Granted, Vince never (or at least, rarely) referred to it as the WWF World Championship, just the World Wrestling Federation Championship. Also, the matches were completely within the WWF, while the AWA and NWA had international matches (with member or associated promoters), so at least the AWA and NWA titles felt like world titles, in storyline logic. Personally, I never read the ratings. I always preferred the Championship listings in Inside Wrestling. It helped you keep up on what was going on in promotions around the world.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was another card too in Minnesota right around the 5/3/91 show. I've posted in before on KM. Let me see if I can dig it up.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5/2/91?
I remember seeing it. Very less impressive card, if that is at all possible

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

"If people fall asleep in front of the TV, it still counts as a rating point" ~ Dave Meltzer, 2009

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep the night before.

5/2/91 Bemidji, MN
Wahoo McDaniel & Baron Von Raschke beat Wayne Bloom & Mike Enos
Larry Cameron ddq Tommy Jammer
Ricky Rice beat Jamie Magnum
Karate Kid beat Little Tokyo
Buck Zumhofe beat Johnny Love
att: 450

[ 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: clawmaster64 ]

--------------------

clawmaster64
Member # 743

You can read more about both cards here on KM.

--------------------

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Reading these results before, I always wondered if Johnny Love and Johnnie Stewart were the same guys, considering Zumhofe was in the middle of a feued with Stewart during the last days on ESPN

--------------------
~BIG DADDY MEATYBONE
_ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Meatybone:
"I heard it on TV (ESPN I think). Gagne gabbed about coming out of retirement
to kick butt. The crew came out crying about wanting 2 refs, international
object check, to top rope acts,.....cry and moan. From this I expected they
would loose. I found out yesterday that the crew lost, but they won't show
the match. The match appeared to be a squash. Sad....... "

The "international object" line always gets me. To this day, people use that term without understanding that it was part of an inside joke at TBS.

The term since the beginning of time was "foreign object." But in the late 80's, Ted Turner was going global and he got on a kick to save the world and make everyone on the planet get along (nice job, Ted). He banned the word "foreign" from all his networks, making his employees substitute the term "international" instead.

Of course it didn't really apply to the term "foreign object" (at least I hope it didn't) but Jim Ross began to refer to brass knucks, cell phones, tennis raquets, and such as "international objects."

When people outside of WCW started using the term without even a hint of irony, I knew the level of genius that was running roughshod on the wrestling world.

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Reading these results before, I always wondered if Johnny Love and Johnnie Stewart were the same guys, considering Zumhofe was in the middle of a feued with Stewart during the last days on ESPN

Wasn't Johnny Stewart managed by Christopher Love? (In other words, perhaps "Johnny Love" was an accidental abbreviation of "Johnny Stewart w/ Christopher Love.")

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

NNDman
Member # 142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NNDman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Apter mags actually had deadlines that were a couple months before their dates of issue. So the May issue likely had a deadline of February or maybe even Jaunuary.
Bucket T from MN
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bucket T from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HMFiles from WA:
quote:

Wasn't Johnny Stewart managed by Christopher Love? (In other words, perhaps "Johnny Love" was an accidental abbreviation of "Johnny Stewart w/ Christopher Love.")
Love and Stewart are two separate guys.
MaskedGoofIV
Member # 5862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaskedGoofIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when Larry Z was dropped out of the PWI Top 10 even though he was a World Champ. The magazines made mention of it saying something to the effect that they can't rank a champ that never wrestles. Or something to that effect.
BestThere'llNeverBe
Member # 127797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BestThere'llNeverBe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by codystarbuck:
Also, the matches were completely within the WWF, while the AWA and NWA had international matches (with member or associated promoters), so at least the AWA and NWA titles felt like world titles, in storyline logic.

Except that the WWF title was defended outside the WWF by Bruno (both reigns), Pedro, Superstar Billy Graham, Backlund, Hogan, Randy Savage, Bret Hart
BestThere'llNeverBe
Member # 127797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BestThere'llNeverBe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the actual last AWA card prior to these May '91 high school shows? They had been airing classics on ESPN since about November '90. I thought the last card had been September of '90, or was that just the last card with an AWA champion? I have seen the results for the December 9th 1990 high school card. What was the last AWA card prior to that?

Did the Team Challenge winner ever get the One Million Dollar prize?

As far as tag title changes going unrecorded, does anybody else remember (towards the end) Destruction Crew were barred from using their doomsday device-like finisher, doing it anyway and getting DQ'd. One squash match, ruling is announced that if they do the move, not only will they be DQ'd but they will lose the titles. They squash, do the move, and two unknown guys win the tag titles. I saw this on ESPN and assumed there was some kind of dusty finish/returning of the belts situation, because I never saw it mentioned again and thought whoever was booked to face those jobbers the next episode would obviously win the tag belts. I think I missed an ep or something, and next I know the belts were back on Destruction Crew. Anybody else remember this?

[ 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: BestThere'llNeverBe ]

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: The Apter ratings..

They only recognized the NWA, AWA, and WWF championships as World titles up until they also gave that status to ECW in 1999.

It was temporarily removed from the WWF championship only because Vince created his own magazine and banned photographers from outside publications. The "because the WWF title is only defended in the WWF or against WWF wrestlers" reason they gave was pure BS.

The AWA had theirs' removed sometime before it folded and was basically relegated to independent promotion status and the NWA's World status carried over to WCW when Turner finally dropped the NWA name.

USWA, PWA, IWCCW, nor any other group were ever considered a "World" title. They didn't even recognize Lawler's title as "Unified". They just rolled their recognition of the World Class title, which no longer even existed, over to the USWA.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BestThere'llNeverBe:
What was the actual last AWA card prior to these May '91 high school shows? They had been airing classics on ESPN since about November '90. I thought the last card had been September of '90, or was that just the last card with an AWA champion? I have seen the results for the December 9th 1990 high school card. What was the last AWA card prior to that?

10/20/90 Coon Rapids, MN
Destruction Crew Wayne Bloom & Mike Enos beat Baron Von Raschke & Buck Zumhofe
AWA Champion Larry Zbyszko beat Tommy Jammer
Larry Cameron beat DJ Peterson by reverse decision
Steve Berg beat Jamie Magnum
Tony DeNucci beat John (Pete?) Palstooka
Est. Attendence: 100

BestThere'llNeverBe
Member # 127797

The AWA lost it's World title recognition imo, when it became part of the USWA World title. The Battle Royal belt was never a World title in my eyes.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USWA Unified World title was only ever recognised as the USWA Championship in PWI, whereas what USWA called the USWA Championship was only ever recognised as the Southern Championship within the pages of the Apter Mag publications.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
The USWA Unified World title was only ever recognised as the USWA Championship in PWI, whereas what USWA called the USWA Championship was only ever recognised as the Southern Championship within the pages of the Apter Mag publications.

Right. They explained in one of the 1993 issues that USWA had renamed the championships. What had been the Southern title was now the USWA title and what had been the USWA title was now the Unified title because of the AWA-WCCW unification. But the fact is the Memphis promotion called it the Unified title all along. The only thing they actually changed was the Southern title to the USWA title. PWI said they didn't consider the title "Unified" because the AWA title split off about a month later and were sticking with the recognition of the USWA title and the Southern title.
Deputy
Member # 127521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deputy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the old AWA title belt Vince McMahon wore for the WWF Memphis rivalry TV promo around 1994?
Dan P-170
Member # 32

quote:
Originally posted by Deputy:
Was it the old AWA title belt Vince McMahon wore for the WWF Memphis rivalry TV promo around 1994?

Yes. The actual Unified belt was kept by Eddie Crawford after he left the promotion a few years earlier so they began using the old AWA belt that Lawler never returned to represent the title. Vince referred to it as the "United" championship in his promos.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations