WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » Andre vs. Akira Maeda (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Andre vs. Akira Maeda
Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I didn't say there was anything wrong with passing along unsubstantiated gossip as long as you admit thats what it is. I'm saying there are no named sources for any claims that Andre was 'ordered' to do this or that. Andre was a guest performer, he did not work for the promotion and who could order him to do anything anyway at his size? If Andre didn't want to shoot, he wouldn't have done so and Inoki couldn't have done a damn thing about it.
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I sort of think Inoki could have handled Andre about as easily as Maeda did.

Feel free to email Meltzer and accuse him of making this up. Like Pete said, you accusing anybody of 'making things up' or 'repeating gossip' is enough to give Alanis a coronary.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't accuse Meltzer of making this up, I accused him of just repeating the gossip he heard. CM you are hypocritical too because you post rules about not quoting news from unreliable sites and unsourced news, but you accept unsourced info as news instead of qualifying it as gossip at the same time. Meltzer is good but he has, as we all know, gotten stuff wrong too.

Why didn't Inoki just put himself into the match vs. Maeda and do the shooting himself? That would have avoided this whole pathetic scene.

[ 03-20-2010, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Hong Kong Phooey ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meltzer is unreliable and not a source? Jeez. YOU sure quote him a lot.

Any YOU'RE calling ANYBODY, let alone ME, a HYPOCRITE?

And I notice you're still talking **** about people the second they die. It's some kind of compulsion with you. Some sublimated sexual problem, probably.

Everybody remembering why we banned this guy now?

Bye, wally. LIKE YOU AGREED TO, this time it's forever.

This time? Take my advice and get some therapy.

--------------------

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Crimson Mask from FL!
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mister Hollywood:
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
quote:
I don't get the point. Andre was unsteady on his feet, but could still work his style of match. Nothing for the fans in this match. Isn't Maeda the same dude who kicked a guy's face in? Seems like a totally un-entertaining performer.

How many Maeda matches have you seen? Would you also consider Takada to be "totally un-entertaining"? Certainly taste is subjective, but your comment shrieks of ignorance.

Cheers,

OSJ

"Shrieks of ignorance."

Because you don't like it?

CHEERS! [Roll Eyes]

-

Cheers,

OSJ

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
1. You really need to look into what was going on between Inoki and Maeda at the time.

2. Feel free to explain why Inoki wasn't yelling at Andre for trying to gouge 'one of his guys' eyes out.

I bet if Andre had smaller fingers he would have gotten that eye out.
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I certainly stirred up the proverbial Blue Knight hornet nest, no? [Wink]

I just thought it was interesting after all the stories I've read to FINALLY see the match (edited though it may be).

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Mister Hollywood
Member # 8547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mister Hollywood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't get the point. Andre was unsteady on his feet, but could still work his style of match. Nothing for the fans in this match. Isn't Maeda the same dude who kicked a guy's face in? Seems like a totally un-entertaining performer.

How many Maeda matches have you seen? Would you also consider Takada to be "totally un-entertaining"? Certainly taste is subjective, but your comment shrieks of ignorance.

Cheers,

OSJ

"Shrieks of ignorance."

Because you don't like it?

CHEERS! [Roll Eyes]

-

Cheers,

OSJ

OSJ. Do you have a life-sized pin-up of Maeda, in your closet? Do you always try to bully those posters who don't agree with your view of your "sacred cows?" I wonder, are you, in fact, one of these "internet tough guys" that pop up, from time to time, from the dampness of their parents' basement?

[ 03-21-2010, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Mister Hollywood ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Enough. He asked a relevant question you didn;t bother answering. I'll repeat it: how many Maeda matches have you seen?

And I'll add another one: how can you watch even this clip of THIS match and come to the conclusion that it's Maeda, not Andre, who is doing 'nothing for the fans'?

--------------------

Mister Hollywood
Member # 8547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mister Hollywood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Enough. He asked a relevant question you didn;t bother answering. I'll repeat it: how many Maeda matches have you seen?

And I'll add another one: how can you watch even this clip of THIS match and come to the conclusion that it's Maeda, not Andre, who is doing 'nothing for the fans'?

I do appreciate Japanese wrestling, although I like what we have (or had) here, more. I think the greatest pro wrestlers, ever, were Americans. Just my opinion.

So, a while back, I started a thread, messing around, teasing in good fun about Japanese Vs. American wrestling. People got hot.

My first comment, in this thread, wasn't meant as a continuance of an attack on Japanese wrestling in general.

Although I had heard about Maeda kicking Andre, I didn't know the exact story behind it, or why it happened. In this video, I see Maeda kicking at Andre, taking him down, and a boring match. Andre's attempts to lock up appeared to me to be his wanting to work with Maeda. Inoki comes out, and yells at Maeda. Looked to me like Maeda screwed up, and got in trouble with the boss. I haven't read much Meltzer, so I didn't know the full story. I accept the version of events offered by CM as what occurred.

And so, back to OSJ's question, which I chose not to answer because I perceived it to be a set-up for sarcasm: I know little of Maeda's work, other than a few clips, and of course, the story about him kicking in dude's face, and other stunts he's pulled. All of which make him sound like he doesn't care about having a good match, but would rather shoot on people.

Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious since it was mentioned, did Andre ever provide any insight on this match later?

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PoorlyToldJoke from OH:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF3:
quote:
Originally posted by PoorlyToldJoke from OH:
UWF-I might be my favorite wrestling promotion of all time. It was the last time I had any suspension of disbelief

Maeda had no direct involvement in that, though.
Oh, for some reason I thought UWF-i was an offshoot of his UWF.
It was. But Maeda had nothing to do with UWFI. In 1990, the UWF imploded because of internal politics. As a result of that turmoil, after their final show (and this should give you an idea of how LOADED the UWF was) THREE new shoot-style groups were formed: RINGS, UWFI, and PWFG. RINGS was Maeda's group. They eventually went to legit MMA and helped launch Fedor Emelianenko's career. UWFI was Nobuhiko Takada's group. They were the most-successful of the three but sold out to New Japan and died in 1996. PWFG was Yoshiaki Fujiwara's group and was a distant third to the other two in every respect.

It was PWFG's guys - Masa Funaki and Minoru Suzuki - that formed the basis of Pancrase, the granddaddy of Japanese MMA.

Tabe

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
[qb] Enough. He asked a relevant question you didn;t bother answering. I'll repeat it: how many Maeda matches have you seen?

And so, back to OSJ's question, which I chose not to answer because I perceived it to be a set-up for sarcasm: I know little of Maeda's work, other than a few clips, and of course, the story about him kicking in dude's face, and other stunts he's pulled. All of which make him sound like he doesn't care about having a good match, but would rather shoot on people.

Okay, so you admit that you're basing your opinion on hearsay and minimal knowledge. Fine. No sarcasm here at all, seek out a few Maeda matches and get back to me. There's probably plenty on YouTube and if not, the investment in a few dvds would be well worth it. You've missed some great stuff and I doubt you'll need to see more than a handful of matches to see how special a talent Maeda actually was (he was also somewhat of a jerk, but that doesn't detract from his legacy).

You may also want to view a few Choshu (the guy he kicked in the face) matches as well, another outstanding performer.

Cheers,

OSJ

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I would agree with the characterization of Choshu as a p---y. During the NJ/UWFI feud in 1995/96, Choshu went out of his way to be an uncooperative dick to UWFI guys. But ONLY UWFI guys that were smaller than him and couldn't really defend themselves. When he was in with somebody like Takada - who was as big a star as Choshu - or Takayama, who was physically larger, Choshu was fine. But put him in with Kakihara or something and he was a total jackass.

Tabe

The Alternate Warrior
Member # 11936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Alternate Warrior         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm beginning to think that the two of them agreed to a shoot match beforehand, and Andre, not realizing it at first due to being drunk, figured out after a few kicks to his knees and the easy means with which Maeda was nailing him with the single leg takedown that he was in over his head.

--------------------
"I could go in there, and wrestle a broom." (4:29)

Jeff Bowdren
Member # 652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Bowdren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
seek out a few Maeda matches and get back to me. There's probably plenty on YouTube and if not, the investment in a few dvds would be well worth it. You've missed some great stuff and I doubt you'll need to see more than a handful of matches to see how special a talent Maeda actually was (he was also somewhat of a jerk, but that doesn't detract from his legacy).

You may also want to view a few Choshu (the guy he kicked in the face) matches as well, another outstanding performer.

Cheers,

OSJ [/QB]

First of all....Maeda was really a special talent. However, in terms of being a New Japan wrestler, he always had the voice of his mentor, Karl Gotch, in the back of his head telling him that "pro" wrestling was nothing but a show, and that shoot wrestling was a sport that really demonstrated who the best "wrestler" was. Now...combine that with the fact that Maeda left New Japan in early 1984, along with Satoru Sayama, to form the original UWF. When he returned to New Japan, Antonio Inoki accepted him back--knowing how good Maeda actually was, even at "showy" pro wrestling. However, Inoki was never going to have a singles match with Maeda, because he didn't trust him (and that match would've made HUGE money during that time period, trust me). Maeda reestablished himself, to a certain degree, in the New Japan rings...including an incredible match with Tatsumi Fujinami that may have been the best match in the world during 1986. Just when Maeda is reestablishing himself fully with New Japan---Riki Choshu jumps BACK to New Japan from All Japan...and essentially swoops in and steals his spot. That is the Reader's Digest version of what lead to the infamous "shootkick" in November of 1987 that Maeda through on Choshu during a 6 man tag. You may look at the match here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi0XBW3X_zE&feature=related

A couple of things to understand about that clip: the kick itself occurs about 20 seconds in, when Choshu has Osamu Kido (one of Maeda's partners in the 6 man) in the scorpion leg lock. Choshu is in a vunerable position, and Maeda takes advantage of it. After the kick....Choshu doesn't realize what has happened at first, then reaches up and feels his face. The entire match falls apart at that point....and to quote Gordon Solie...."Katie bar the door!" Chaos reigns. The older pro's, like Masa Saito, try and get the guys to finish the match.....Choshu wants at Maeda....Nobuhiko Takada is trying to keep Maeda out of the ring....finally, trying to be a "team player", Takada goes into the ring and takes a clothesline from Choshu and allows the match to have a finish. Enjoy the clip...its hell on wheels. Also, one last note...if you scroll down from the clip, you might notice a 1997 clip that features Maeda greeting Choshu in the ring after Choshu's retirement. Obviously, even 10 years after the incident, its a huge deal to the crowd on hand.

--------------------
"I don't believe the good times are over..

I don't believe, the thrill is all gone...

real love...is a man's salvation, the weak ones fall but the strong carry on.."

Tom Petty

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by The Alternate Warrior:
I'm beginning to think that the two of them agreed to a shoot match beforehand, and Andre, not realizing it at first due to being drunk, figured out after a few kicks to his knees and the easy means with which Maeda was nailing him with the single leg takedown that he was in over his head.

No. You have to see the whole thing. It started out normal rasslin.

--------------------

ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good times, good times
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations