WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » List Of Retirement/Career/Loser Leaves Town Matches Where The Loser Comes Back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: List Of Retirement/Career/Loser Leaves Town Matches Where The Loser Comes Back
Pink And Black Attack
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink And Black Attack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok please don't kill me if there is already a list like this somewhere. I actually did do a search and all I found was questions asking retirement matches where the loser actually stayed retired. After reading the Undertaker/Shawn Michaels thread most people don't think the retirement stipulation would stick. So I figured we'd make a list of "retirement" matches, "career" matches, and "loser leaves town" matches where the loser of course came back.

I know there are tons of them but I'll name the ones that immediately come to mind, none of them extremely old...

Macho Man Randy Savage losing a "career match" to Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania VII in 1991.

Ric Flair losing a "career match" to Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig in the WWF in 1993.

Ric Flair losing a "retirement match" to Hulk Hogan in WCW at Halloween Havoc 1994.

Rugged Ronnie Garvin losing a "career match" in the WWF to Greg The Hammer Valentine in 1989.

I know there's TONS more.

[ 02-25-2010, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Pink And Black Attack ]

--------------------
The Pink & Black Attack is back, baby!!

IP: Logged
Pavlov's Dawg
Member # 22288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pavlov's Dawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of 'em. Every one. Ever.

Every match Terry Funk has had since 1997. And a couple before that.

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, all of them man. All of them.

Konnan lost against Cien Caras back in '93 in Mexico in a career match but came back.

Kevin Nash,Hoga,Goldberg, all of them!

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Studd, 1980, JCP. Loser leave town. Came back a few weeks later as Masked Superstar #2.

Paul Jones, 1982, JCP. Loser leave town. Came back a month or two later with no explaination.

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

New Age Old School
Member # 6833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for New Age Old School         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince McMahon in 1999.

--------------------
"The word processor is mightier than the pen."

Bob Hazlewood
Member # 26996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Hazlewood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be a shorter list to find those where the loser DIDN'T come back.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Tori:
John Studd, 1980, JCP. Loser leave town. Came back a few weeks later as Masked Superstar #2.

Paul Jones, 1982, JCP. Loser leave town. Came back a month or two later with no explaination.

Jones lost a Loser Leaves Town match to Ole Anderson on January 1, 1982 in Richmond. Weird stipulation for a match between two guys that weren't even feuding then.
PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hazlewood:

Marc Mero losing to Gillberg in '99.

Umm...

Monsoon losing to Patera? Did he come back after that?

Adrian Street losing to Terry Taylor in Mid-South (Houston, to be exact).

Jerry Calhoun Fan
Member # 5656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Calhoun Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not too familiar with the cicumstances, but I don't know if Dutch Mantell or Billy Travis ever came back....but there was Texas Dirt and The BT Express.
Pavlov's Dawg
Member # 22288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pavlov's Dawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF3:
quote:

Umm...

Mero & Street both came back in other companies.
Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
quote:

Jones lost a Loser Leaves Town match to Ole Anderson on January 1, 1982 in Richmond. Weird stipulation for a match between two guys that weren't even feuding then.
They had sorta gone round the horn a little while prior to that. Ole & Gene beat Jones & Superstar for their last reign as champs, then defended against Jones and a series of partners (Wahoo, Steamboat, etc), but yeah, it was kinda odd to do that match at that point.

As I remember, this is when Paul went to work for George Scott in Tulsa, who was booking McGuirk's territory (which was renamed "Midwest Championship Wrestling"). Scott, who had previously been in Georgia for a short run, brought in Jones, Jimmy Snuka, Rip Hawk & Swede Hanson, Frank Hill (Jules Strongbow), Mr. Pogo, and others. Scott was gonna buy in but didn't like the deal upon investigating McGuirk's finances and bailed. That's when Watts moved in.

Jones then went back to Crockett, was being moved way down the card (to the point of even jobbing in tag matches on TV, though his partner always looked at the lights), and finally turned heel again at the request of Jack Brisco to restart their old Florida feud.

[ 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Martin Tori ]

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov's Dawg:
quote:
quote:

Umm...

But not in the company/town they had to leave.

Mero explicitly said he'd "leave the WWF" if he lost to Gillberg. He never wrestled for the company again.

Bob Hazlewood
Member # 26996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Hazlewood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you lost to Gillberg, wouldn't you leave town even if that wasn't a match stipulation?
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't a lot of the "loser leave town" matches stipulate that the losing wrestler had to leave town for x number of weeks/months whatever? I remember Lance Russell mentioning that on the Lawler/Dundee LLT match that was on the Superstars and Superbouts VHS release.
reckoning
Member # 25020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckoning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane McMahon's friends (Pete Gas & ????) lost a loser leaves WWF match to Patterson & Brisco and were never seen again.
Pavlov's Dawg
Member # 22288

quote:
Originally posted by reckoning:
Shane McMahon's friends (Pete Gas & ????) lost a loser leaves WWF match to Patterson & Brisco and were never seen again.

I dunno about Pete Gas, but Rodney returned after 'training' (cough!), to be a wrestler.
Los Narcosatanicos
Member # 23572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Los Narcosatanicos         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
Didn't a lot of the "loser leave town" matches stipulate that the losing wrestler had to leave town for x number of weeks/months whatever? I remember Lance Russell mentioning that on the Lawler/Dundee LLT match that was on the Superstars and Superbouts VHS release.

And that one didn't even last the full time period due to extenuating circumstances. They were feuding with other guys when Jarrett and Ole made the deal to work together for the WCW Superstars satellite territory. Dundee would be booker and one of the top heels, so he had to leave Memphis ASAP, and they set up the match to make some money in the process. It worked, as it drew the biggest gate in MSC history. WCW Superstars, on the other hand, lasted 6 weeks (plus a few more as "Championship Wrestling" in Chattanooga), and then everyone went back to Memphis.
SuperDFan
Member # 4695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperDFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not doubting anyone. Im just asking for a reminder. When did Paul Jones lose a Loser Leaves match in JCP in 82?
Martin Tori
Member # 27175

quote:
Originally posted by REO Speeddealer:
quote:

--------------------

SamHoustonColiseum
Member # 5771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SamHoustonColiseum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it was a 90 day rule in Mid-South for Loser Leaves Town matches.

--------------------
It bees that way sometimes, have mercy!

john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Tommy Rich lose a match when he became Mr. R?

Jimmy Valiant showed up with the ridiculous mask.

Dusty Rhodes came back with the mask in Florida. Something Slim?

Pink And Black Attack
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink And Black Attack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Midnight Rider?

--------------------

Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by john820321:

Jimmy Valiant showed up with the ridiculous mask.

Dusty Rhodes came back with the mask in Florida. Something Slim?

Uvalde Slim

--------------------
I'm going down to the Greyhound station, gonna get a ticket to ride...

stone2k
Member # 7649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stone2k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Miz did this recently... came back in a mask as the Calgary Kid the next week and won a contract on a pole match vs Eugene

--------------------
If you can't say anything nice, say something vague.

john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup Uvalde Slim. The funny part was that Gordon Solie acted like he was an accomplished wrestler and in no way said it looked like Dusty.

They even unmasked him as someone else. It was classic stuff.

PCmor
Member # 7229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PCmor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by john820321:

As I recall, it was to Ted DiBiase and culminated when Brad Armstrong was unmasked as Mr. R and won the National title on TV as Rich showed up with Gordon Solie at the podium.

I just was watching a bunch of early 1980s Continental DVDs and saw Bob Armstrong come back to wrestle under a mask as The Bullet during his family's feud with the Fullers and Jimmy Golden. I imagine he eventually wrestled again in that fed as himself.

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the one in Tampa where Boris Malenko lost a loser leave town match. He showed up the next week with a torn in half greyhound bus ticket proving he had in fact left town [Smile]
Pink And Black Attack
Member # 6037

quote:
Originally posted by Hong Kong Phooey:
I like the one in Tampa where Boris Malenko lost a loser leave town match. He showed up the next week with a torn in half greyhound bus ticket proving he had in fact left town [Smile]

A good one. I like that story.

--------------------

midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the regional promotions did it pretty well back in the 80's...Tommy Rich as Mr. R, Dusty as the Midnight Rider....but JYD coming back as Stagger Lee was pure GOLD
BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it was the actual match referred to in the thread, but Monsoon as an announcer, post in-ring career, always credited Patera with "sticking a fork in my career". He characterized more as if I lose, I'll retire match than loser leaves town. Patera cleaned his clock, and I don't think Gorilla wrestled again after finishing up his previous commitments.

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by reckoning:

I dunno about Pete Gas, but Rodney returned after 'training' (cough!), to be a wrestler.
Both Pete Gas and Rodney came back within weeks. This was early on in the Posse's WWF stint and Joey Abs hadn't even been added to the group yet. The match in question took place in early May of 1999. The Posse were regulars well into 2000.
Cornette Fan
Member # 4170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cornette Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Umm...

But not in the company/town they had to leave.

Mero explicitly said he'd "leave the WWF" if he lost to Gillberg. He never wrestled for the company again.

Does anyone know what the plans were for Marc Mero when he returned? I always figured he was injured when he lost to Gillberg. I know he left the company with Sable in 1999 but I was always curious what the WWF's plans were for him if he would've come back. I don't have any idea why I care about this but I've wondered for years.

Later,
Nate

--------------------
Hulk Hogan, you are a household word, but so is garbage. And it stinks when it gets old too.
(Jim Cornette...1997)

If your mother wasn't so fancy we could shop at a gas station like everybody else.
(Homer Simpson)

JCM3
Member # 20614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCM3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian Pillman in WCW in 1991.
Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDP vs Johnny B Badd, circa 1996, I think Badd jumped to the WWF and it was against the Booty Man (oh God), which gave the return loophole.

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Umm...

Looks like Monsoon wrestled 6 more WWF shots after his retirement match, then one Puerto Rico match a year later where he went 1 minute against Abby Tamba at the Anniversary show.
Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He filled in for Andre when he broke his ankle.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations