WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kevin Sullivan's Army of Darkness questions
The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Golden Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty fascinated by this whole weird angle, but have only been able to catch up with snippets of it - would anyone be able to clue me in on the following guys and their angles relating to Sully's group?

Kharma/Molokai - know this was Gene Petit, but know very little else about him (except the garbled nonsense in The Idiot's Guide to Pro Wrestling).

Reverend Mr. Black - Not the Mighty Igor, as I'd heard previously.

Really, anyone outside of the core group of:

Kevin Sullivan
Purple Haze
Maha Singh
Billy Graham
Fallen Angel
Luna Vachon
Lock

IP: Logged
Eater of the Dead
Member # 9312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eater of the Dead         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Golden Spike:
I'm pretty fascinated by this whole weird angle, but have only been able to catch up with snippets of it - would anyone be able to clue me in on the following guys and their angles relating to Sully's group?

Kharma/Molokai - know this was Gene Petit, but know very little else about him (except the garbled nonsense in The Idiot's Guide to Pro Wrestling).

Reverend Mr. Black - Not the Mighty Igor, as I'd heard previously.

Really, anyone outside of the core group of:

Kevin Sullivan
Purple Haze
Maha Singh
Billy Graham
Fallen Angel
Luna Vachon
Lock

Igor was not Mr Black? That's news to me-I always thought it was......
MIDNIGHT RAIDER
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIDNIGHT RAIDER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy was Fallen Angel, right? Who was Lock?
The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Golden Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lock was, IIRC, Winona Littleheart/Cindy Lou, a childhood friend of the Windham family.

[ 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: The Golden Spike ]

The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

Sorry for the bump, but... anyone?
okstampede
Member # 10203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okstampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene Petit worked for years as Gene Lewis, the kayfabe brother of Dale Lewis. Around '83, he was the Mongol (specifically in World Class, maybe some other places). In '86, he went to WWF as part of the Hillbilly Jim Clan, Cousin Luke I believe. He took the Luke gimmick to the AWA briefly. He was on an episode or 2 from what's been shown on ESPN Classic.

--------------------
"These matches are sanctioned by the NWA, the National Wrestling Alliance. Wherever you see that banner, you know you're seeing the finest in professional wrestling."

"Nothing I hate more than a dog that sucks eggs."

weaselsuit from MN
Member # 8719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weaselsuit from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lock was, IIRC, Winona Littleheart/Cindy Lou, a childhood friend of the Windham family.

One of the great, early discoveries on the WCMB.

Now, if someone could only track down Sunshine...

--------------------
"Car picture with Dom Deluise..."

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Duggan was with Sullivan early on as was Buzz Sawyer too, I believe.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

I can't really imagine any incarnation of Duggan in that group.
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can't really imagine any incarnation of Duggan in that group.

It's twu.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

BRIX THORNTON
Member # 2735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRIX THORNTON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Mike Davis doing an American Dream ripoff gimmick as part of the group as well
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BRIX THORNTON:
Wasn't Mike Davis doing an American Dream ripoff gimmick as part of the group as well

He certainly did (and it was pretty amusing).

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake Roberts too I believe for a little bit.

--------------------

HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But wasn't Davis also Dusty's underdog partner too?

Did he turn on Rhodes to join Sullivan?

Or did Sullivan dump him, resulting in him joining Rhodes?

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Saint a apart of this group?
PsychoSem
Member # 119

I'm not sure about the Saint. I want to say he was involved in some other program while he was there.

Davis went from being pretty much an enhancement type guy who put up a good fight, but lost all the time to randomly popping up with Sullivan, having been 'brain washed' to think he was Dusty.

When did Sullivan start in Florida? I've been watching some Memphis from 81 and Sullivan abruptly left right in the middle of a run as TV champion and being a member of Jimmy Hart's first family. Wondering where he took off to at this point.

--------------------

Eater of the Dead
Member # 9312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eater of the Dead         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who was the Rev. Mr. Black, if it wasn't Mighty Igor?
Member # 1443

Icon 14 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
quote:

It was AWESOME.

--------------------

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSem:
When did Sullivan start in Florida?

11/20/72 West Palm Beach, FL @ Auditorium
Texas Tornado Death Match, No dq, No Time Limit
Norvell Austin & Sputnik Monroe vs Ron Fuller & Robert Fuller
Florida Champion Paul Jones vs Mr Wrestling Tim Woods
Hiro Matsuda vs Swede Karlson
Big Bad John vs Ed Wiskowski
Dick Slater vs Jack Evans
Kevin Sullivan vs John Smith

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

When did Sullivan start in Florida? I've been watching some Memphis from 81 and Sullivan abruptly left right in the middle of a run as TV champion and being a member of Jimmy Hart's first family. Wondering where he took off to at this point.

I know what you meant. I was just having some fun with you Sem. Summer of 1982 he began heeling in Florida.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

BRIX THORNTON
Member # 2735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRIX THORNTON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saint was worked as a heel manager for Krusher Kruschev & Jim Neidhart who were doing a Russian gimmick

I think he used a loaded glove gimmick - pretty sure he wasn't aligned with Sullivan

stlbrodyfan
Member # 6195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlbrodyfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas I didn't get to see any Florida wrestling around here but I thought I could recall from the wrestling magazine results with the Saint & Kevin Sullivan battling OMG & Billy Graham.
flyers1971
Member # 26339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyers1971         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clawmaster64:
quote:

I know what you meant. I was just having some fun with you Sem. Summer of 1982 he began heeling in Florida.
Didn't Sullivan start out as a face in florida as Dusty's personal trainer and then turn heel?
Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Saint was worked as a heel manager for Krusher Kruschev & Jim Neidhart who were doing a Russian gimmick

I think he used a loaded glove gimmick - pretty sure he wasn't aligned with Sullivan

maybe not the same guy then, but there was a Saint that was involved in the AoD

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madison Carter from TX:
quote:

There was only one Saint (Dave Sierra). He started out loosely affiliated with Sullivan, then after Kevin left he became a Cuban ally of the Russians.

--------------------

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:
quote:
Originally posted by Madison Carter from TX:
quote:

There was only one Saint (Dave Sierra). He started out loosely affiliated with Sullivan, then after Kevin left he became a Cuban ally of the Russians.

Is David Sierra related to Bill Alphonso? Brothers maybe?

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Ridgeway(VA.)RedPittman
Member # 4975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ridgeway(VA.)RedPittman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Sierra and Fonzie are brothers.

wasn't Piper aligned with Sullivan?

Member # 1443

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeway(VA.)RedPittman:
Yes Sierra and Fonzie are brothers.

wasn't Piper aligned with Sullivan?

They're half- brothers.

Piper was only in Florida a couple of weeks.

--------------------

BaltimoreBullet
Member # 4184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BaltimoreBullet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally thought Kevin Sullivan was one of the top five greatest heels ever during his runs in Florida. I used to read about his exploits in the magazines an I was still young enough to actually believe in what I was watching or reading.

We need more Kevin Sullivans RIGHT NOW. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see another heel of his magnitude.

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt- then it's freakin' hilarious!

Darling Fascist Bullyboy
Member # 4287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darling Fascist Bullyboy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin:
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
quote:

It was AWESOME.

Davis did a really good Jake Roberts imitation in the GWF as "the Viper." He was quite the talented mimic.

--------------------
If this is an Obama recovery, I'd hate to see an Obama recession!

Rev Bucky from S.OR
Member # 1287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Bucky from S.OR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flyers1971:
Didn't Sullivan start out as a face in florida as Dusty's personal trainer and then turn heel?

I think that's a logical reason right there to turn heel. Having to be Dusty's personal trainer is enough to make anyone see the light of darkness.

[ 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Rev Bucky from S.OR ]

--------------------
"80's music is so 2002." Candace on Phineas and Ferb

John Waters said:"if everyone likes your art,its not art"

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember anything about him being Dusty's personal trainer. He did come back as a babyface, or really more of a tweener, and then was exposed as the 'Nivek Nuvallis' who was paying off Jake, and then the Debbil persona was revealed.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Pier 6er from NY
Member # 916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pier 6er from NY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sullivan being Dusty's personal trainer was a total Apter magazines fabrication. This was written when Sullivan first returned to CWF as a face around late summer of 1982. This was after Sullivan had gotten all buff in the early 1980's (supposedly from training with Tony Atlas), and the Apter mags wrote that Sullivan was going to help Dusty shed some unwanted pounds.

Of course, we all know the end result. Not only did Dusty continue to balloon throughout the rest of his career, but Sullivan also ditched bodybuilding completely.

--------------------
MMA is the new pro wrestling (and has been for quite awhile).

"A woman's place is where I put 'em"
- The Latin Heartthrob, Al Perez in World Class Championship Wrestling (approx. 6:10 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXOg4eKN79E

Wild Rover
Member # 7338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Rover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with this, but I have seen quite alot of Sullivan in WCW with his "Dungeon Of Doom" (?) stable. Only the other night I was watching BATB 95, when Sullivan brings in Kamala to face Jim Duggan and spurs Kamala on in his attack by pointing to Duggan and shouting "Hulkamaniac! Hulkamaniac!". I believe the Dungeon Of Doom were out to destroy Hulkamania at that point.

Anyway, most all of the stuff I saw Sullivan doing in WCW was pretty awful from a presentation/creativity point of view (as far as his own character goes), which has always confused me because the man has a very good reputation for being creative, maybe he just went too over the top on his own gimmicks? I don't know.

I guess from reading this thread the Army Of Darkness stuff was alot better than his WCW days with the Dungeon?

--------------------
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have any idea who the masked man is?

-

I've heard Gene Petit, but this man is too lean, I think. On KM the suggestions were a local guy (plausible), Duggan (I'd say no, for several reasons), or Brody (ridiculous).

Sullivan doesn't help, as when Gordon asks who it is, he pretends like he can't even see anyone.

[ 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: The Golden Spike ]

stipe
Member # 115491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stipe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another bump.

Really, who is this ?

--------------------
Bad english warning !

ssw83
Member # 71243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ssw83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guessing that the screen cap is from late 1985 or early 1986.

The guy only appeared on TV twice as far as I know. This appearance here and another where he's ringside with Sullivan and I think Ron Slinker and a couple others.

Could be someone Sullivan brought down with him from Savoldi's promotion

elijahkareem
Member # 6045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elijahkareem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Hacksaw Duggan having matches with Dusty Rhodes.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations