WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » Your Favorite Boxing Movies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Favorite Boxing Movies?
PittsburghPlunger
Member # 5002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PittsburghPlunger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of mine include:

On the Waterfront - "I could of been a contender".

Requiem for a Heaveyweight - Great performance by Anthony Quinn as well as a superb dramatic role for Jackie Gleason.

The Harder They Fall - Nice role for Bogart. I also love the part when the shady accountant tells Toro they owe him only a few dollars after all of the "deductions".

What are some of your favorite boxing movies?

[ 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: PittsburghPlunger ]

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree on 'Requiem'.

'The Harder They Fall' lost me when they b*chted up the ending with the 'boxing must be abolished' bull****.

Mentioned these on the 'book to movie' thread but 'Raging Bull' and 'Fat City' (Stacy Keach and Jeff Bridges as two California club fighters at opposite ends of their careers) make my list for sure.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When We Were Kings.

Granted it's a documentary, but it's a great movie.

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Requiem For A Heavyweight' is my favorite boxing movie of all time. It's a miracle. Gleason as Maish, Rooney as Army, and Quinn as the mountain of a wrecked soul on whom both men are pinning their hopes...and into whom each is meting out whatever ration of love each still has left in him after a precarious life lived in a precarious business. Serling was the miracle worker, aided and abetted by a director, Ralph Nelson, whose integrity matched the writer's. And look at who else was in the film...Dempsey, Barney Ross, Gus Lesnevich, Rory Calhoun (not the actor), Alex Miteff, Willie Pep, a phenom-in-the-making out of Louisville by the name of Cassius Clay, Paolo Rossi, referee Arthur Mercante, the great Haystacks Calhoun, and Julie Harris, whose character, Grace Miller (and she was a miller of grace) was at least as heartbreaking as that of Quinn's Mountain Rivera. The look of it, the smell of it, the taste of it...all authentic, from the gut. A miracle.

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

okstampede
Member # 10203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okstampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original "Rocky" still holds up by itself if you subtract the predictable sequels.

--------------------
"These matches are sanctioned by the NWA, the National Wrestling Alliance. Wherever you see that banner, you know you're seeing the finest in professional wrestling."

"Nothing I hate more than a dog that sucks eggs."

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by okstampede:
The original "Rocky" still holds up by itself if you subtract the predictable sequels.

I still stop and watch the original Rocky every time I come across it on AMC or another channel. What made the movie great was that Rocky lost in the end IMHO. For anyone living in Philadelphia or the surrounding area, that movie still has a mythical quality about it, even 30+ years later.

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1000 Masks But No Jobs:
quote:
Originally posted by okstampede:

I still stop and watch the original Rocky every time I come across it on AMC or another channel. What made the movie great was that Rocky lost in the end IMHO. For anyone living in Philadelphia or the surrounding area, that movie still has a mythical quality about it, even 30+ years later.
I don't know if there have been any other fight movies where the outcome of the big fight was an afterthought. They announced Apollo as the winner and then basically forgot about it.

I'll go with the Rocky Balboa sequel if for nothing more than the "Its not how hard you hit" speech. Great, great speech.

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

bitplayer
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bitplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does 3 o clock high count? It's a movie about a guy getting challenged to a fight after school.

--------------------
"Just when you think you have all the answers, we go and change all the questions," Four Horsemen

oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard Times.

The TV version of Requeim.

Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raging Bull, Rocky and Cinderella Man are my top three.

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

Cornette Fan
Member # 4170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cornette Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinderella Man
Raging Bull
Rocky
Rocky Balboa

Also, has anyone ever seen the Rocky Marciano movie where Jon Favreau played Marciano? I'm just curious since I've always wanted to.

Later,
Nate

--------------------
Hulk Hogan, you are a household word, but so is garbage. And it stinks when it gets old too.
(Jim Cornette...1997)

If your mother wasn't so fancy we could shop at a gas station like everybody else.
(Homer Simpson)

PoorlyToldJoke from OH
Member # 4397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoorlyToldJoke from OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a comedy, I LOVE The Great White Hype. Hilarious movie.

--------------------
I always try to win every match in such a way that the person doesn't want to see me again. So you not only have to win that fight, you have to win all the future fights that person could want to have with you. - Ronda Rousey

The Eagle 2 from FL
Member # 6289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Eagle 2 from FL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raging Bull
Rocky
Rocky 2

--------------------
"Courage is being affraid but saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum GA:
When We Were Kings.

Granted it's a documentary, but it's a great movie.

Hell, if we're going with documentaries too, Unforgivable Blackness.

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Requiem for sure.

Couple that haven't been mentioned

"Somebody Up There Likes Me"

"The Great White Hope".

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

izzy
Member # 5704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Champ....the Wallace Berry version and Champion starring Kirk Douglas are two of my favorites, followed by Requiem for a Heavyweight (Anthony Quinn version) Somebody Up There Likes Me and Raging Bull. While I think On the Waterfront was a great film , I don't look at it as a boxing movie. Rocky while extremely entertaining and a movie I loved, I just don't feel is in the same category as the above.

Take care,
Izzy

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diamondmd:
Requiem for sure.

I read the book a good fifteen times before the movie deal was ever announced. I like the book a lot more than the movie.

--------------------
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by izzy:
Champion starring Kirk Douglas
Izzy

Don't you mean "Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaampion," Iz? The way Kirk said the word?

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
quote:
Requiem for sure.

I read the book a good fifteen times before the movie deal was ever announced. I like the book a lot more than the movie.
Me too.

'Champion' I'll agree was great, though more because of Douglas' performance than anything/everything else.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

... does 'Pulp Fiction' count? Think about it.

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
quote:
Requiem for sure.

Me too.

'Champion' I'll agree was great, though more because of Douglas' performance than anything/everything else.

Yeah, Kirk brought it home.

--------------------

Greg Capace
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Capace         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, other then Rocky, for me, not to many.
Greg

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
... does 'Pulp Fiction' count? Think about it.

Absolutely. Willis was credible as a pug, and his story was strong.

--------------------

Orwell's Last Chance
Member # 18056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orwell's Last Chance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really "boxing" movie, but a movie about a boxer - "The Hurricane"
scizott792
Member # 5330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scizott792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just about all my favorites have been mentioned so far, except for these:

"Million Dollar Baby" -unforgettable performances by Hillary Swank, Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman.

"Punch Drunks" (1934) The Three Stooges -Curly gets fighting mad whenever he hears "Pop Goes The Weasel".

"Ring Of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story" -one of the most riveting films you will ever see, documentary or otherwise.

[ 05-10-2009, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: scizott792 ]

--------------------
"Now, my father cared about Country Joe and The Fish as much you probably do about sado-masochism." -Smith Hart to scizott792, Amsterdam NY 6/5/10

Golem
Member # 21242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviving the discussion of favorite boxing movies.

Here are some links to help tweak your memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Boxing_films

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/03/the-50-best-boxing-films-of-all-time.html

https://screenrant.com/best-boxing-movies-ever-rocky-creed/?view=all

http://www.best-sports-movies.com/boxing.html

https://www.foxsports.com/boxing/gallery/ranking-the-11-greatest-boxing-movies-of-all-time-111616

http://www.listchallenges.com/imdb-top-50-boxing-movies

https://theplaylist.net/25-best-boxing-films-ever-20160824/ (click bait - unnecessary multiple pages)

Golem
Member # 21242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the movies previously mentioned, I like these:

Champion

On the Waterfront

Raging Bull

Requiem for a Heavyweight

Rocky

Somebody Up There Likes Me

Golem
Member # 21242

I would like to add a movie that came out years after this thread was started:

Creed

john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody Up There Like Me
Rocky 2
Rocky 3
The Champ

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golem:
I would like to add a movie that came out years after this thread was started:

Creed

Agreed on Creed! I liked Southpaw too

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations