WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » Ted DiBiase and Ric Flair

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ted DiBiase and Ric Flair
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if Ted DiBiase and Ric Flair ever wrestled one another outside of Mid-South and if they ever teamed-up other than their Survivor Series match? I always thought they'd make an interesting alliance.
IP: Logged
Tabe
unregistered


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Super Villano:
Does anyone know if Ted DiBiase and Ric Flair ever wrestled one another outside of Mid-South and if they ever teamed-up other than their Survivor Series match? I always thought they'd make an interesting alliance.

9/16/84 in Kansas City, Flair won by DQ

10/7/84 in Bethalto, IL, Dibiase won by DQ

10/25/84 in Kansas City, Flair won

Those are the first three I found.

Tabe

IP: Logged
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabe:
9/16/84 in Kansas City, Flair won by DQ

10/7/84 in Bethalto, IL, Dibiase won by DQ

10/25/84 in Kansas City, Flair won

Those are the first three I found.

Tabe

Thanks, Tabe!
IP: Logged
Mark Nulty from WA
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Nulty from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flair-Race-DiBiase had a great series in 81 before Flair won the title.

DiBiase challenged Race in February and they did the Dusty finish with the Dusty finish and the ref returning the belt to Race after the original pinfall decision was ruled a DQ.

In April, Race and Flair went to a 60-minute draw.

Now there was an issue of who was the number one contender. DiBiase had pinned Race in the third fall of a title match before it was ruled that Race was disqualified before the pinfall occurred. Flair had just taken the champion to a time limit draw.

This led to DiBiase defending the Missouri title against Flair in May with the winner being the undisputed number one contender and getting a title shot at the Checkerdome.

DiBiase beat Flair 2-out-of-3 to retain the Missouri title and get his rematch with Race.

DiBiase and Race drew 16,000 at the Checkerdome to see Race beat DiBiase cleanly 2-out-of-3.

IP: Logged
KCUser
Member
Member # 6009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nulty from WA:
Flair-Race-DiBiase had a great series in 81 before Flair won the title.

DiBiase challenged Race in February and they did the Dusty finish with the Dusty finish and the ref returning the belt to Race after the original pinfall decision was ruled a DQ.

In April, Race and Flair went to a 60-minute draw.

Now there was an issue of who was the number one contender. DiBiase had pinned Race in the third fall of a title match before it was ruled that Race was disqualified before the pinfall occurred. Flair had just taken the champion to a time limit draw.

This led to DiBiase defending the Missouri title against Flair in May with the winner being the undisputed number one contender and getting a title shot at the Checkerdome.

DiBiase beat Flair 2-out-of-3 to retain the Missouri title and get his rematch with Race.

DiBiase and Race drew 16,000 at the Checkerdome to see Race beat DiBiase cleanly 2-out-of-3.

Amazing how they could build a series between three wrestlers based on nothing more than who was better. Almost like it was real.

What a revolutionary concept. Too revolutionary for today.

[ 01-19-2009, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: KCUser ]

IP: Logged
Travis Cook
Member
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabe:
quote:
Originally posted by Super Villano:
Does anyone know if Ted DiBiase and Ric Flair ever wrestled one another outside of Mid-South and if they ever teamed-up other than their Survivor Series match? I always thought they'd make an interesting alliance.

9/16/84 in Kansas City, Flair won by DQ

10/7/84 in Bethalto, IL, Dibiase won by DQ

10/25/84 in Kansas City, Flair won

Those are the first three I found.

Tabe

Bethalto, Il???????

Having been in that town on more occaisions than I care to remember (and booed out of the Knights of Columbus Hall almost as many times [Big Grin] )--I can't think of anyplace big enough to hold that kind of match--maybe the high school? Seems a bit odd, but I know after the KC syndicate took over the St. Louis office, they occaisionally did spot shows on the East side.

Still seems odd to have a Dibiase-Flair main event in Bethalto, IL! [Cool]

--------------------
For the best in Poltical commentary, visit my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/americasevilgenius

Check out my new political/cultural blog: http://askaconservativewhiteguy.blogspot.com/

"In your gut...you know I'm right!"

IP: Logged
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nulty from WA:
Flair-Race-DiBiase had a great series in 81 before Flair won the title.

DiBiase challenged Race in February and they did the Dusty finish with the Dusty finish and the ref returning the belt to Race after the original pinfall decision was ruled a DQ.

In April, Race and Flair went to a 60-minute draw.

Now there was an issue of who was the number one contender. DiBiase had pinned Race in the third fall of a title match before it was ruled that Race was disqualified before the pinfall occurred. Flair had just taken the champion to a time limit draw.

This led to DiBiase defending the Missouri title against Flair in May with the winner being the undisputed number one contender and getting a title shot at the Checkerdome.

DiBiase beat Flair 2-out-of-3 to retain the Missouri title and get his rematch with Race.

DiBiase and Race drew 16,000 at the Checkerdome to see Race beat DiBiase cleanly 2-out-of-3.

Thanks for posting that! It sounds like a really good series of matches between the three wrestlers.
IP: Logged
clawmaster64
Member
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely the first time they wrestled,

9/16/78 St Louis
Ric Flair beat Ted DiBiase
King Kong Brody beat Jack Brisco
Pat O'Connor & Rocky Johnson beat Blackjack Lanza & Buck Robley
Tom Andrews drew Bulldog Bob Brown
Bob Sweetan beat Gary Young
Tank Patton & Jesse Ventura beat Ron Starr & Brian Blair

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

IP: Logged
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clawmaster64:
Most likely the first time they wrestled,

9/16/78 St Louis
Ric Flair beat Ted DiBiase
King Kong Brody beat Jack Brisco
Pat O'Connor & Rocky Johnson beat Blackjack Lanza & Buck Robley
Tom Andrews drew Bulldog Bob Brown
Bob Sweetan beat Gary Young
Tank Patton & Jesse Ventura beat Ron Starr & Brian Blair

Thanks again, clawmaster!
IP: Logged
Dwayne Soper
Member
Member # 4321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dwayne Soper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clawmaster64:
Most likely the first time they wrestled,

9/16/78 St Louis
Ric Flair beat Ted DiBiase
King Kong Brody beat Jack Brisco
Pat O'Connor & Rocky Johnson beat Blackjack Lanza & Buck Robley
Tom Andrews drew Bulldog Bob Brown
Bob Sweetan beat Gary Young
Tank Patton & Jesse Ventura beat Ron Starr & Brian Blair

Not to hijack the thread, but noticed Starr on these results. How was Starr's stint in the St Louis territory? Was he around there very long?

[ 01-21-2009, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Dwayne Soper ]

--------------------
"Heroes come and go,but LEGENDS never die...."

IP: Logged
Cincinnati Kid
Member
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those who made such decisions errored by not having DiBiase (as a face) win the NWA Title once or twice - if only holding on to it a short time.

[ 01-21-2009, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Cincinnati Kid ]

IP: Logged
The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Cincy Kid....there is no way a babyface Ted DiBiase should have not have held the NWA title a time or two if only for a couple of months, or even weeks each time.

It would have done wonders for the "alliance" as well as individual promoters who employed Ted, who would have increased his marquee value with those promoters and fans not familiar with him

Don't get me wrong, Ted had an awesome career in the biz, but it would have and SHOULD have been enhanced by an NWA title run or two...I mean, if Tommy Rich and Ron Garvin can hold it, so what was the argument against Ted DiBiase?

j.d. out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

IP: Logged
loadedboot (originally from MS)
Member
Member # 3966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loadedboot (originally from MS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hotstuff's stooge from MS:
Absolutely Cincy Kid....there is no way a babyface Ted DiBiase should have not have held the NWA title a time or two if only for a couple of months, or even weeks each time.

It would have done wonders for the "alliance" as well as individual promoters who employed Ted, who would have increased his marquee value with those promoters and fans not familiar with him

Don't get me wrong, Ted had an awesome career in the biz, but it would have and SHOULD have been enhanced by an NWA title run or two...I mean, if Tommy Rich and Ron Garvin can hold it, so what was the argument against Ted DiBiase?

j.d. out-

true dat.

--------------------
"Nothin' in this boot but a foot and five toes!" - Dr X

IP: Logged
KCUser
Member
Member # 6009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hotstuff's stooge from MS:
Absolutely Cincy Kid....there is no way a babyface Ted DiBiase should have not have held the NWA title a time or two if only for a couple of months, or even weeks each time.

It would have done wonders for the "alliance" as well as individual promoters who employed Ted, who would have increased his marquee value with those promoters and fans not familiar with him

Don't get me wrong, Ted had an awesome career in the biz, but it would have and SHOULD have been enhanced by an NWA title run or two...I mean, if Tommy Rich and Ron Garvin can hold it, so what was the argument against Ted DiBiase?

j.d. out-

Could working for Watts in Mid-South for a lot of the early 80s hurt him? You know, given his main promoter's personality, the others might have been reluctant to give him the title?

I'd have taken Ted over Kerry, Tommy, or Ronnie.

[ 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: KCUser ]

IP: Logged
Travis Cook
Member
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, I've always thought it would be interesting to see Dibiase do a heel run in St. Louis (I know they'd never let him use the loaded glove--although I've always thought that Dibiase knocking the NWA Champion out with the glove on "Wrestling At The Chase" would have been one of the most talked-about moments in the history of St. Louis wrestling).

Can you imagine a heel Dibiase vs. a babyface David Von Erich headlining Kiel? You'd practically be printing money with that main event. What could have been...

--------------------
For the best in Poltical commentary, visit my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/americasevilgenius

Check out my new political/cultural blog: http://askaconservativewhiteguy.blogspot.com/

"In your gut...you know I'm right!"

IP: Logged
The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, Travis....exactly. Just think of what a NWA world chmapion Ted DiBiase would have been at the right time(s) in the right places.

And I do think that Ted's long association with the rather independent "Mid-South Wrestling" of Cowboy Bill Watts probably did hurt even tho' Watts did book NWA world champs, especially Flair, to meet guys like Butch Reed, Terry Taylor, Dick Murdoch, and even Kerry von Erich on Mid-South house shows (saw Flair take on all these wrestlers in Jackson in great matches)....but the title was never going to change hands on a Watts event....just because....

politics.

j.d out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

IP: Logged
The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dibiase also had the second generation thing going for him, making it that much more confounding as to why he was never given a run with the belt. He and Flair had a great dal in common, from styles to finishers to a cadre of goons to back them up (Horsemen/Rat Pack).

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

IP: Logged
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of DiBiase's loaded glove, does anyone remember when he stopped using it?
IP: Logged
The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He gave it up after being attacked by Murdoch during that great angle, though he used it on Kamala to give Duggan the win during the UWF title tournament.

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

IP: Logged
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr superlove:
He gave it up after being attacked by Murdoch during that great angle, though he used it on Kamala to give Duggan the win during the UWF title tournament.

Thanks. I wasn't too sure if he was using it in the UWF or not.
IP: Logged
Mississippi fan
Member
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are so right. Ted would have made a memorable NWA champ. And to see some of the guys who later held that title, it really makes you scratch your head. What were these guys thinking! [Roll Eyes]
IP: Logged
heinoushorseman1986
Member
Member # 12747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heinoushorseman1986         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have loved to seen the 1978 St.Louis match...

--------------------
Billy the Kid..
Saint Augustine,Florida 1513,1565,1672,1702,1740..

IP: Logged
Travis Cook
Member
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Ted as a babyface in the UWF *would* actually use the glove on occaision (usually when he was outnumbered). There was even a brief angle where The Freebirds stole it. Later on, Dibiase beat UWF Champion One Man Gang by countout after socking him in the stomach with "Maggie".

So the correct answer to "When did Dibiase stop using the glove" is "When he became The Million Dollar Man" [Big Grin] .

I guess he must have gotten some price on selling that glove to become a millionaire out of it [Cool]

--------------------
For the best in Poltical commentary, visit my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/americasevilgenius

Check out my new political/cultural blog: http://askaconservativewhiteguy.blogspot.com/

"In your gut...you know I'm right!"

IP: Logged
Super Villano
Member
Member # 10911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Villano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Cook:
Actually, Ted as a babyface in the UWF *would* actually use the glove on occaision (usually when he was outnumbered). There was even a brief angle where The Freebirds stole it. Later on, Dibiase beat UWF Champion One Man Gang by countout after socking him in the stomach with "Maggie".

So the correct answer to "When did Dibiase stop using the glove" is "When he became The Million Dollar Man" [Big Grin] .

I guess he must have gotten some price on selling that glove to become a millionaire out of it [Cool]

And thanks to you, too!
IP: Logged
paul sosnowski
Member
Member # 129080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paul sosnowski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was no match in Kansas City on 9/16/84. Dibiase wrestled Ron Garvin in a steel cage in Columbus GA that night.

9/16/84 Columbus, GA @ Municipal Auditorium
Ronnie Garvin beat Ted DiBiase in a cage match
Brad Armstrong beat Bob Roop
Rip Rogers & Ted Oates beat Tim Horner & Masked Superstar
Steve Brinson beat Luke Graham--------------------


9/16/84 Kansas City
Bulldog Brown beat Tug Taylor
Cowboy Lang beat Little Tokyo
Uptown Boys & Ox Baker beat TG Stone & Gypsy Joe & Animal
Dave Peterson drew Tom Gorman
Buzz Tyler beat Hacksaw Higgins dq
Buzz Tyler beat Gypsy Joe

[ 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: paul sosnowski ]

IP: Logged
Mississippi fan
Member
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking to offset his time in Mid-South they could haven taken his work done in Japan. He was outstanding there.
IP: Logged
DKM
Member
Member # 128885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DKM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the debate in 81 over who should get the NWA between DiBiase and Flair? The one where Flair won by one vote?

Anybody remember who supported who? I'm pretty sure Fritz was a Flair supporter. Thought Flair would match up well with his boys.

--------------------
DKM

IP: Logged
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3