WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » Dr. Jerry Graham vs Jumping Joe Savoldi on 'You Tube'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Jerry Graham vs Jumping Joe Savoldi on 'You Tube'
doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good docta is young, during this match--very young--but he's already Eddie's 'older' brother, already completely formed as the guy who would, several years later, conspire with Eddie to set the Garden afire with their red, white, and blue sequined jackets and their stiff, elitist pompadours. And I almost mistook Jumping Joe for Angelo...but that's genetics, for you.

[ 06-04-2008, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: doc ]

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

IP: Logged
RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm... aren't ya forgetting sumptin', doc?

--------------------
"... let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"- Strong Bad

"STOP KICKING ME!!"- Christopher Daniels @ Unbreakable '05

... I believe in Auburn, and love it.

Swimming is just floating forward

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, brother. Let's hear what it could be.

--------------------
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, I'll help. (a link to the match woulda worked, too.) [Razz]

--------------------

Member # 2212

Is this the video you were referring to?

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

Thanks for the help, pal. I seem to have grown to this late age without the ability to asborb the knowledge about how to offer such technological aids on my own.

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

...and without the knowledge of how to spell 'absorb,' too, evidently.

--------------------

Member # 2212

No problem. Your book was delivered to me this afternoon, by the way. Ordered it friday from Amazon. It looks hilarious. I'll probably start reading it this weekend. (sorry to hijack the thread-- but I didn't think you'd mind me plugging your book.)

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA:
No problem. Your book was delivered to me this afternoon, by the way. Ordered it friday from Amazon. It looks hilarious. I'll probably start reading it this weekend. (sorry to hijack the thread-- but I didn't think you'd mind me plugging your book.)

Not at all, man. I just hope you take it out to dinner, first.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
I almost mistook Jumping Joe for Angelo...but that's genetics, for you.

No, that's your eye, which you oughtta trust. That IS Angelo. As I believe we have discussed in the past, Angelo and his brood are neither actually named Savoldi nor related to Joe, who actually was.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess they billed Angelo as Jumpin' Joe in Australia. What the hell. Joe hadn't been there since 1937. Who'd snap to it?

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Matter a fact, that wasn't it. Rerun the last 5 seconds of the clip. The announcer refers to him as "Angelo 'Jumpin' Joe' Savoldi".

[ 06-05-2008, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA:
I didn't think you'd mind me plugging your book.)

Not at all, man. I just hope you take it out to dinner, first.
*spits*

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

Of COURSE I knew that that was ANGELO. I mean, I've been ingesting microdata about The Life since I was twelve years old, and of COURSE I knew!

--------------------

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jumping" Joe Savoldi?! "Jumping" Joe Savoldi?! More like "Cheating" Joe Savoldi, or "Biting" Joe Savoldi, or "Hair-Pulling" Joe Savoldi. The dude only "jumped" once in the match--he cheated way way more than he jumped.

What a bum.

A well-deserved victory for the Good Doctor.

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice find, Doc. Thanks.

Please keep at it.

Turns out the person who uploaded that footage has put up lots of good stuff recently.

Ken

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
"Jumping" Joe Savoldi?! "Jumping" Joe Savoldi?! More like "Cheating" Joe Savoldi, or "Biting" Joe Savoldi, or "Hair-Pulling" Joe Savoldi. The dude only "jumped" once in the match--he cheated way way more than he jumped.

What a bum.

A well-deserved victory for the Good Doctor.

Damned right, phlegmball! (That's the first time I ever said that).

--------------------

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Viewer:
Nice find, Doc. Thanks.

Please keep at it.

Turns out the person who uploaded that footage has put up lots of good stuff recently.

Ken

...not to mention that it turns out that the cat who tipped me to the proliferation of Good Docta 'You Tube' videos was Ken Viewer.

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a few more of Angelo's Aussie matches on film and he was billed as Angelo "Little Jumpin' Joe" Savoldi. No reference is made to the relationship to the original, so I don't know if he was supposed to be a son, nephew, cousin or what.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

The general kay fabe story was nephew.

--------------------

izzy
Member # 5704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great tape. It was good to see the good Dr again(one of my favorite heels and an inspiration for me). Also good to see Angelo Savoldi again.

Tale care,
Izzy

Sean O'Reilly
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God love him..

But the Ref looks like James Arness when he played "The Thing"

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by Sean O'Reilly:
God love him..

But the Ref looks like James Arness when he played "The Thing"

The ref was James Arness's uncle, Jumping James Arness, who played in 'Nephew of The Thing.'

--------------------

Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ref is Bonnie Muir and old time Aussie Wrestler from the 30's through the late 40's early 50's.

Sure was an ugly bugger. He was more or less a fisture as the ref for quite some time after his active wrassslin finished

When Jim Barnett started his promotion down under in 64he had the foresight to employ a much younger more muscular contemproray bloke named Mike Hunt who was national breast stroke champ, Mr.Australia and owner of a pretty famous Health Club of the time.

Cheers,

Aussie Mike in DC

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Viewer:
Nice find, Doc. Thanks.

Please keep at it.

Ken

...not to mention that it turns out that the cat who tipped me to the proliferation of Good Docta 'You Tube' videos was Ken Viewer.
For the record, I've never uploaded anything to Youtube, though when I find Public Domain footage on the Internet, eventually I might do so.

Also, I've been in a coma the last few months and do not remember tipping you to anything. (Neither does the waiter at a slop-joint recently when he gave me a long, nasty lecture as to why he would not get me a glass of water.)

Ken

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike in Dc:
The ref is Bonnie Muir and old time Aussie Wrestler from the 30's through the late 40's early 50's.

Sure was an ugly bugger. He was more or less a fisture as the ref for quite some time after his active wrassslin finished

When Jim Barnett started his promotion down under in 64he had the foresight to employ a much younger more muscular contemproray bloke named Mike Hunt who was national breast stroke champ, Mr.Australia and owner of a pretty famous Health Club of the time.

Cheers,

Aussie Mike in DC

There's one short newsreel clip of Muir wrestling, IIRC, in Europe, circa-1930s. Will post details when I next check that site.

Ken

Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump - just to list the results of the show for the record.

This match took place on Saturday 20 February 1960 at Melbourne Festival Hall.

The results of the show were:
* Dr Jerry Graham defeated Angelo Savoldi by 2 falls to 1 in 4 rounds of a scheduled 6 round bout
* Con Papalazarou drew with Chief Big Heart no falls over 6 rounds
* Bruce Wyatt defeated Ken "Crusher" Webb by 2 falls to 1 over 5 rounds
* El Greco drew with Bruce Milne no falls over 5 rounds

Cheers!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations