WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » Okay, what's the legal reasoning here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay, what's the legal reasoning here?
K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand how the shooter could be let off on justifiable homicide, and I understand how the other teens were responsible (along with the one who was killed) for putting themselves (and him) in danger in the first place. But they didn't pull the trigger, so how -- legally -- can people who did not have anything to do with the actual act of killing someone, and weren't "accomplices" in the legal sense, be charged with murder?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2019/8/13/20804750/teens-charged-west-loop-car-chase-murder-diamond-davis-jaquan-swopes

--------------------
"Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my groin, and I was off on one of the strangest adventures of my life." (Max Shulman)

IP: Logged
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Chicago, it doesn't need to make sense,

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are involved in the commission of a crime during which a homicide takes place, you are liable to be charged with murder. That's the legal reasoning and as far as I know it is the law in most places if not all.

[ 08-15-2019, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting -- never knew that. I can see being charged as an "accessory" or something similar, but I always thought that to be charged with murder, you had to be the one doing the act.

--------------------
"Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my groin, and I was off on one of the strangest adventures of my life." (Max Shulman)

Fighting Camel
Member # 4935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fighting Camel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by K. Fabian McClinch:
Interesting -- never knew that. I can see being charged as an "accessory" or something similar, but I always thought that to be charged with murder, you had to be the one doing the act.

Check with Charles Manson on that one.

--------------------
"A girl's legs are her best friend...but even the best of friends must part"---Redd Foxx

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fighting Camel:
quote:

cuz I cant remember.. was Manson convicted for the murder or for conspiracy to commit murder?

I know you can be convicted of conspiracy to commit murder even if not convicted for the murder.

thanks

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Fighting Camel
Member # 4935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fighting Camel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
quote:
quote:

cuz I cant remember.. was Manson convicted for the murder or for conspiracy to commit murder?

I know you can be convicted of conspiracy to commit murder even if not convicted for the murder.

thanks

Both

--------------------
"A girl's legs are her best friend...but even the best of friends must part"---Redd Foxx

K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Manson was directly involved in the murder by summoning his followers to commit it, right? Not quite the same as one of you accomplices being killed during a robbery, so YOU end up being charged.

Not saying it isn't necessarily justified, just wondering what the legal reasoning is.

--------------------

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called "felony murder/homicide", and the basics are, if someone dies in the commission of a felony, those committing the felony can be charged with murder. Intent, as a rule, has nothing to do with it.

But as the link notes, it's a little more complicated than that; not all felonies may apply.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Fighting Camel
Member # 4935

Seen guys on death row that never did more than wait in the car while a robbery went bad.

--------------------

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seen guys on death row that never did more than wait in the car while a robbery went bad.

...and the guy that pulled the trigger gets life.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations