WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » History Channel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: History Channel
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did The History Channel become the bullsh*t conspiracy theory cryptozoology redneck channel?

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
When did The History Channel become the bullsh*t conspiracy theory cryptozoology redneck channel?

There is a Military channel now and since 80% of the programming was about Hitler, seems like a natural progression.

--------------------
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember when Bravo and A&E were actually arts channels?

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dthcm:
quote:

There is a Military channel now and since 80% of the programming was about Hitler, seems like a natural progression.
I just wish they would call it Bullsh*t History Channel or Fictional History Channel, something like that. I know people that watch it and actually think what they are seeing is true and reality because as the John Fogerty song goes "because I saw it on TV."

I was accused of being "one of them sceptics". When I commented to a group of co-workers watching a paranormal or bigfoot hunting show. One of "them" skeptics? I guess I am actually.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

At least 10 years ago.
jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you also now have Sundance Channel showing reruns of Law & Order and IFC showing Two and a Half Men reruns. As mentioned, other cable networks have done the same. Bravo was originally a channel that showed unedited independent and foreign films during the 80's. I think networks figured out showing dumbed down reality type shows were less expensive to produce than scripted shows(which A&E was acclaimed for doing for years) or buying the rights newer quality films. I believe there was an article years ago that mentioned that during a meeting the head of either A&E or Bravo said something along the lines "We are all going have to hold our noses and go along with it." They new it sucked, but it was a better way to make money.
1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even when the History Channel actually shows some history these days, programs are often just mailed in. The History Channel's Amelia Earhart debacle from a couple years ago was pitiful.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/07/amelia-earhart-lost-photograph-discredited-spd/

https://www.newsweek.com/amelia-earhart-mystery-documentary-history-channel-639938

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The History Channel did show tons of Hitler programming back in the day, but I always thought every hour of the day on the channel was either Hitler, the Lincoln assassination or Vietnam.

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They went the way of other channels with "reality" shows that are neither reality or history. But you can't argue with success. America loves "reality". So much a game show host is now president.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Remember when Bravo and A&E were actually arts channels?

And TLC was "The Learning Channel"?

I actually still miss A&E's Friday night theatre specials, and they've been gone for 20-25 years. And Saturday nights were usually a top-end movie, with an orchestral concert or ballet (which, honestly, I can take or leave) on Sundays.

[ 08-11-2019, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Travlr ]

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Mr. Parts Unknown
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Parts Unknown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The Military Channel is now referred to as "American Heroes." Yet in addition to a lot of program devoted to studying Hitler and other despots like Stalin, Mussolini, Mao Tse Tung, etc., they also run programs highlighting "American Mobsters" and "The Mob's Greatest Hits." Exactly how are these guys heroes?
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1000 Masks But No Jobs:
quote:
quote:

The History Channel did show tons of Hitler programming back in the day, but I always thought every hour of the day on the channel was either Hitler, the Lincoln assassination or Vietnam.

I've always called it the torture channel after they recreated the death of Hercules and a typical crucifixion.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations