WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » What non-malicious white supremacy looks like

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What non-malicious white supremacy looks like
Dragonstone
Member # 129157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragonstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe Jonathan Weisman, an ostensibly urban liberal writer for the New York Times, is a wanton racist. But this shows how pervasive white supremacy - the idea that whiteness is the default and inherently superior culture - really is in our society.

Tuesday night, Claire McCaskill did her tired sore loser act - complaining about progressives in her party - saying, “Free stuff from the government does not play well in the Midwest.” That is of course assuming you ignore the $25 billion in government subsidies that Trump dished out to mostly white farmers in the Midwest. They love that kind of free stuff from the government. What she meant was, "government assistance for poor black and brown people does not play well with racist white people in my home state."

McCaskill's comment elicited a response from a Democratic strategist on Twitter pointing out that Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar are both from the Midwest. This Twitter comment in turn elicited a (non-deleted) reply from Weisman in which he stated “Saying @RashidaTlaib (D-Detroit) and @IlhanMN (D-Minneapolis) are from the Midwest is like saying Lloyd Doggett (D-Austin) is from Texas or @repjohnlewis (D-Atlanta) is from the Deep South. C’mon.”

The problem with that tweet is that all four of those people are literally from the places he says they are not from. Three of those four people don't look like what Weisman presumably considers the "real people" from those areas - specifically white. The fourth one is a 72 year old white man, but he's also a proud liberal who represents a fairly liberal city in Texas.

In any event, this idea that the people who we should think of first as "real Americans" are white, non-college educated yokels who say things like "get 'er dun!" is toxic as hell. Jimmy from Youngstown, Ohio can be considered a "real American", but he doesn't get any more of a claim on that mantle than Darnell from Detroit, Michigan.

[ 08-03-2019, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Dragonstone ]

IP: Logged
Liz Hunter's Boyfriend
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz Hunter's Boyfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but, it's the progressives like AOC & Ilhan Omar who are being mean to Pelosi and the old white establishment of the DNC & they should stop dissenting [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Dragonstone
Member # 129157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragonstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what exactly that has to do with my post.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonstone:
I have no idea what exactly that has to do with my post.

-

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations