WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » Rapinoe and the public war of words

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rapinoe and the public war of words
PCmor
Member # 7229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PCmor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just going to vent a bit here about an exchange I had with a colleague on Twitter this afternoon.

He tweeted that instead of Rapinoe using her platform to put the spotlight on inequality in the United States, she should be grateful that she lives in a country where she has a voice and isn't being beaten for her sexual preference.

I responded that I didn't think the way to object to what she was doing was by saying we are better than North Korea, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, et al, that the U.S. says it stands for something more, so we shouldn't be using those countries as our standard.

He answered that I shouldn't put words in his mouth (I'm not sure how I did, tbh), that this is the most diverse country on the planet, and that he didn't like that she made it out that her life was so hard.

I thought he was conflating diversity with equality and replied that, that if our country's foundation is supposed to be equality, then she shouldn't have to be worried about having fewer rights based on her gender, sexual preference, age, religion, skin color, etc. That wasn't a matter of opinion. It was a matter of law. This wasn't about her having the right to speak her mind when people in other countries couldn't. This was a matter that she had to deal with, and that I thought it was presumptuous of him to talk about how easy or hard it was to live in her shoes.

His reply was that she had a platform and could say what she wanted, just like anyone else. But it seemed to me his very first point was to take away her right to have a voice.

I thought he kind of made Rapinoe's point over the course of our debate. But he still didn't get it. He even told me to shut up at one point.

I don't know how someone even reasons with this line of thought. Thanks for the forum to vent about my frustration.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't reason with it. You can't reason with it. It's a matter of faith with these people, not reason.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

PCmor
Member # 7229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PCmor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's crazy, CM. Two people other than me commented on the thread. Both of them agreed that Rapinoe was wrong and, just like with Kaepernick and others, picked apart the problems they had with the method she used to draw attention to her cause instead of taking even a sentence to address the cause istelf.
PCmor
Member # 7229

I honestly have my doubts that there is hope for this country. Too many people are too frustrated with their own lives and take out anger on targets of opportunity instead of what ails them, IMO.
PCmor
Member # 7229

And, I mean, all three of these guys who were arguing with me ... all well-educated adults, all reasonably successful in their careers.
PCmor
Member # 7229

I just checked back in on the conversation. It's now four 50-year-old Caucasian men debating and agreeing with each other on the proper ways for people to whom they don't relate to protest or demonstrate. That's the biggest issue to them.
diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just more fear of white men losing their so called power and position. Rapinoe first drew attention by being the first white person outside of the NFL to take a knee in support of Kaepernick. Then she said she wouldn't meet the White House baboon and white men lost their fvcking minds. Now that had no issue with Tom Brady saying he wouldn't meet Obama. THAT was freedom of speech.

When a gay women does it tho, that's unAmerkin.

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're trying to protest something and not making people uncomfortable, uneasy or inconvenienced....

....you're doing it wrong.

On top of that, the only wrong way to protest is the method that leaves someone physically hurt. Anything up to that point is fair game.

Certain former posters didn't seem to get that. They probably would have sided with King George when someone dumped a bunch of tea in the drink....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

PVM
Member # 121669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PVM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that a lot of people don't understand about her is that she understands racism all too well. Her older brother got in trouble with drugs years ago and ended up joining a Nazi prison gang. She's seen the darkest side of white racism way closer than most people ever will.

--------------------
https://deadofnightusa.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/DeadofNightUSA/
http://redmenacerecords.storenvy.com/

K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PVM:
Something that a lot of people don't understand about her is that she understands racism all too well. Her older brother got in trouble with drugs years ago and ended up joining a Nazi prison gang. She's seen the darkest side of white racism way closer than most people ever will.

Wow -- didn't know that.

This whole "We're better than the worst, so don't complain" argument was already old and ridiculous back in the 1960s/'70s era of "If you don't like it here, try the Soviet Union!" -- Comparing oneself to the worst possible alternative is hardly an inspiring or proactive attitude, regardless of where one stands on the political spectrum. Somehow I can't believe that anyone is still making that argument and taking it seriously.

--------------------
"Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my groin, and I was off on one of the strangest adventures of my life." (Max Shulman)

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me that your colleague is just upset that he's not allowed to beat lesbians.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or packing the gear to even if he was.

--------------------

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the argument from people that they should just play soccer and shut up about their politics come from the same people who cheered an actor talking to a chair..

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

And elected a far worse one, and then later a game show host, president.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations