WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » Boris Johnson is New UK Prime Minister

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boris Johnson is New UK Prime Minister
Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were 10 candidates who reached the minimum requirement of the backing of 8 Conservative MPs on Tuesday (June 11).

Today the 313 Conservative voted on who they want as their new leader (and thus Prime Minister). The rules were the minimum required was 5% (16 MPs voting for you plus yourself). Anyone who failed was eliminated, if all candidates reach the standard, then the lowest scoring candidate would be eliminated.

The results were:

Michael Gove: 37

Matt Hancock: 20

Mark Harper: 10

Jeremy Hunt: 43

Sajid Javid: 23

Boris Johnson: 114

Andrea Leadsom: 11

Esther McVey: 9

Dominic Raab: 27

Rory Stewart: 19

So McVey, Leadsom and Harper were eliminated. Tuesday there will be another vote, the candidates will be required to have 10% of MPs backing themselves (32 plus themselves). Everybody votes again and can vote for whoever they wish.

It is possible, maybe expected, some candidates may withdraw and publicly support someone else in the hope/agreement of a job in the new cabinet if their man (no women left) wins.

Further votes are possible on Wednesday and Thursday next week, until there are two candidates left. Then all 120,000 odd Conservative members vote on who they wish of the two to be leader. This will lead to a final announcement of a new leader and thus Prime Minister in the week beginning July 22.

[ 07-24-2019, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

IP: Logged
Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris as expected comfortable won this round, and in theory even if no other MP chooses to vote for him, if can keep the support he has, he would have enough votes already to be in the final two.

But who will challenge Boris is a lot more interesting. Gove has had 'drug' issues (Drugs and the Conservative Leadership candidates) and Hunt has not really been able to build on that misfortune. But it will probably be one of the two challenging Boris.

The Dark Horse is Rory Stewart, an interesting life story, he has got traction on social media and is polling in the membership second to Boris. But is the least 'Brexity' of all the candidates left.

Rory Stewart Bio from 2014

[ 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure that part of the world is ready for a PM named Boris. [Big Grin]
K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:

Well, if THIS part of the world is ready for a Presidential candidate named Castro . . .

--------------------
"Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my groin, and I was off on one of the strangest adventures of my life." (Max Shulman)

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As big as the protests over tRump were there, why would you guys elect your own version?

[ 06-13-2019, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: diamondmd ]

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by K. Fabian McClinch:
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:

Well, if THIS part of the world is ready for a Presidential candidate named Castro . . .
True..BUT...he has zero chance of winning...Boris Morris DOES have a chance.
Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by diamondmd:
As big as the protests over tRump were there, why would you guys elect your own version?

Because there are a percentage of the population that like the Donald, and of the Tory membership who get a vote (this is not a national election), a lot of them are in that percentage.

[ 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like if the Republican congressmen were the only ones who voted for President.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Yes it is like they give two names to the membership to vote on.

And just because he does not deserve another post, Hancock has pulled out.

When your name is Hancock, it is probably best to stay away from arrows in publicity shots, just in case this happens:

-

[ 06-15-2019, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Second round just happened and Dominic Raab is eliminated. All the other four reached the 33 votes required to stay in.

The results:

Gove 41

Hunt 46

Javid 33

Johnson 126

Raab 30

Stewart 37

The initial feeling is that it is good for Stewart. He probably is favourite now to rival Boris when it goes to the membership for a final decision.

There is a BBC debate among the five later on (in two hours time), where Johnson for the first time, will join the debate, having chosen to not attend last Sunday's debate.

And then there is another round tomorrow and if needed up to two more on Thursday before the two 'winners' try to woo the Conservative membership, for their (postal) vote, with the winner crowned as Tory leader and new Prime Minister the week beginning July 22.

[ 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bcleah -- I'm not really knowledgeable enough about this one to judge either way. . . but what's your take on this article?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/uk/tory-leadership-race-rory-stewart-intl/index.html

--------------------
"Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my groin, and I was off on one of the strangest adventures of my life." (Max Shulman)

Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by K. Fabian McClinch:
Bcleah -- I'm not really knowledgeable enough about this one to judge either way. . . but what's your take on this article?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/uk/tory-leadership-race-rory-stewart-intl/index.html

Stewart has by far had the most interesting life of all the candidates. A lot of money and connections meant he was able to play the old Victorian Gentleman who went around the 'Empire' on missionary work. He is the sort of man you want at your dinner party, but PM? Well...

Going into yesterday's debate, he was the slight favourite to come second to Boris.

But he had a lackluster showing, momentum seems to be lost, and with a another vote due in a few hours, the feeling is he is struggling. There was a rumour a couple hours back he was negotiating with Micheal Gove to join up with him.

[ 06-19-2019, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Bcleah
Member # 5397

The latest results:

Gove 51

Hunt 54

Javid 38

Johnson 143

Stewart 27

So Stewart can come to my dinner party [Wink] , as he is out.

The other four comeback tomorrow for possibly two more votes, although already it is thought Javid may pull out and back either Gove or Hunt, which could then decide who is going to challenge Boris in the membership vote.

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Ballot #4 and Javid is out.

Spoiled ballots 2
Gove 61
Hunt 59
Javid 34
Johnson 157

The final* ballot is later on, to find the two candidates that will contest the election among Tory members to become leader of the party and Prime Minister of the UK.

*If there is a tie for second, then there would be another ballot to split the tie between them two candidates.

Some are speculating that Johnson's team may ask some of their supporters to vote for Hunt, as the feeling is it would easier for Johnson to win the membership vote against Hunt than Gove.

Bcleah
Member # 5397

The final vote:

Spoiled papers: 1
Gove: 75
Hunt: 77
Johnson: 160

So Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt will contest the campaign for the new Tory leader and Prime Minister, that will be decided by the postal votes of the Tory membership. The result will be announced the week beginning July 22.

[ 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For better or worse, Boris Johnson is going to be next PM. I looked at the bookies odds and the best you can get on him is 33-1 on. Worst odds you can get on Jeremy Hunt is 12-1. Bookmakers don't often get things that wrong, and politics is more easily predicted than sports.
John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_WIlliamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not disagreeing but they got Trump wrong and I think they got Brexit wrong. It's rare, as you say, but it happens. I don't know anything about Hunt (along with most people I have Brexit fatigue) but he can't be worse than Johnson.
Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by John_WIlliamson:
I don't know anything about Hunt (along with most people I have Brexit fatigue) but he can't be worse than Johnson.

Puritan christian verses hooray Henry with no principles. You pick your poison.

But as mentioned it seems no one is suggesting it is going to be anything other than PM Boris on Tuesday.

[ 07-18-2019, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Dirko
Member # 125609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I already have a pint of shandy riding on Boris pulling out at the last moment because he knows that Brexit will be a disaster...

-

[ 07-19-2019, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Dirko ]

--------------------
"Evil is just a measure of how much YOUR choices take away other people's."
(Simon Spurrier)

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Boris won and won well, most were suggesting a 60/40 win, but it was nearer to 66/34.

Boris Johnson had 92,153 votes Jeremy Hunt 46,656. in a 87.7 turnout.

[ 07-23-2019, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Now, the era of BoJo begins. Trump 2.0???
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can this one be as bad as ours? I dont know squat about him...

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:

An upper class Trump, who believes himself the smartest person on the planet.

Defends himself with bluster and Latin when cornered. Somehow has gone the whole process without needing to give a solid policy, relying on an everything is going to be OK philosophy.

[ 07-23-2019, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_WIlliamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Possibly, yes. He is as stupid, as ignorant and as much of a buffoon as your fella.
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Possibly, yes. He is as stupid, as ignorant and as much of a buffoon as your fella.
Yes, but he knows pithy quotes in Latin. Our guy thinks Latin is "one of those Mexican languages".

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Mr. Parts Unknown
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Parts Unknown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

USA: We elected an ignorant, buffoonish, bigoted narcissist to lead our government.

UK: Listen mate, you mind holding my pint of Guinness?

[ 07-23-2019, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Parts Unknown ]

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it easier to get him outa office than here?

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

quote:

I would guess Trump will still be your president after Johnson has resigned.
John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but he knows pithy quotes in Latin. Our guy thinks Latin is "one of those Mexican languages".
He also thinks the Irish border and 'borders' between the boroughs of London are a fair equivalency.

He is an example of Old British money and privilege and he's about as much of a selfish c--t as your guy.

Billy Burgess
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Burgess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brexit. Boris. Britain. Bollocked.

--------------------
THE TIES THAT BIND - a film for which I created the concept and co-wrote... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODd54l1H6iA

Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:

If you win a vote of no confidence in Parliament, Johnson would have two weeks to regain the confidence or his government would fall and another formed or my likely, there would be a general election.
mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So both the UK and the US have foppish, lying, racist idiots from New York City as their leaders...

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

Bcleah
Member # 5397

quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:
So both the UK and the US have foppish, lying, racist idiots from New York City as their leaders...

Our foppish, lying, racist idiot from New York City can read though!
K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Yeah, two peas in a . . .

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/23/africa/boris-johnson-africa-intl/index.html

--------------------

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

He's right, y'know: Put this as a joke in a screenplay or novel, and they'd never buy it. But in real life.....?

[ 07-25-2019, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Travlr ]

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Bcleah
Member # 5397

The problem for me is that I believe he is going override parliament and leave the EU with no deal (with the EU) in place. He could do this if he also called an election.

The biggest of many big problems would be need to have barriers back on the Northern Irish/Republic of Ireland border. This would break an international agreement and could easily be the spark that lights up The Troubles again.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations