WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » Kid Rock is running for US Senate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kid Rock is running for US Senate
merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No joke
IP: Logged
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between him, Zuckenberg (who swears he isn't) and what I'm hoping to be a joke, The Rock, 2018 and 2020 look like they are going to be like no elections we've ever seen.

And given 2016, that's saying something....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ventura, Arnold, Trumpster...

all have proved that no political experience is required to be YUGELY successful as a politician..

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my mom ranting and raving about how stupid people were for voting for a movie star for President...

Sonny Bono got into Congress.

We had to wait a while, but Minnesota gave us Jesse & Al Franken.

I'm sure there are other celebs (I'm trying to keep this Trump free)

The Golden Spike
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Golden Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's nothing wrong with a celebrity becoming an elected official, up to and including the president. It's just idiot celebrities I have a problem with.
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does being a celebrity have to do with being in politics? especially at the level these people are doing it at?

Yea, Reagan was the first (that I recall), but at least he had some expedience at that point (as president).. why he was elected as GOV is a mystery to me.. and that worked like sh*t for CA then

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had different degrees of success, but I believe that both Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger entered into politics with serious intent.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Mr. Parts Unknown
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Parts Unknown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:
They had different degrees of success, but I believe that both Jesse Ventura and Arnold Schwarzenegger entered into politics with serious intent.

As did Al Franken.
Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have my finger on the pulse for MI, but is the current Senator unpopular and in jeopardy of losing? Calling travlr
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two current Senators in Michigan are Debbie Stabenow (D) and Gary Peters (D). Peters is the new kid in town, just elected in 2014, taking over from Carl Levin. So far as I know, he's relatively well-liked, both by his constituents and his fellow Senators.

Stabenow was first elected to the Senate in 2000, squeaking by with a plurality of 67,000 votes, but since then, has handedly won re-election twice with close to 60% of the vote. Her big interest areas appears to be healthcare (she was a social worker before coming into politics) and agriculture (she's the ranking member of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry).

Taking on Stabenow is going to be a trick-and-a-half: She has serious support from NOW and the Elizabeth Warren faction of the Democratic Party, and is a proven fund-raiser for the Party. The last I saw anything about her job approval numbers, they were safely above water (around 55% or so). That was several months ago, so take it with a little salt (a slice of lime and shot of tequila wouldn't hurt, either).

Kid Rock is going to have his hands full going after her. Michigan has a Cook PVI of D+1, and while the State has sent 9 Republicans to the House and only 5 Democrats, the seat is seen by Cook, Rothenberg and Sabato as being either Likely Dem or Safe Dem at this point. And those are the guys that would know, so....

EDIT: Lena Epstein, who co-chaired the Trump campaign in Michigan and retired Michigan Supreme Court chief justice Robert P. Young Jr. are also running. Kid Rock is also going to have his hands full dealing with the State GOP....

[ 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Travlr ]

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

pitbullsfan
Member # 115351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbullsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
Ventura, Arnold, Trumpster...

all have proved that no political experience is required to be YUGELY successful as a politician..

Ventura had political eperience. He was mayor of a twin cities suburb, and had a policy/current events talk show where he discussed issues every day ( well 5 days a week).

--------------------
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
" Did FOX push the birthed agenda? I honestly don't recall."

paulsonj72
Member # 58715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulsonj72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chgowolvs44:

I'm going to to dispute Ventura(I lived in MN for 2 years before I got a job offer out of state but near the MN border so I could still keep up with what was going on in MN). His #1 issue when he 1st ran was the price of license tab fees and that they were too high. That was a direct interest of his because if they were lowered he would save himself a sizable chunk of money. He also got 2 gigs he would not have gotten if he were not the governor. And they were both with VKM. Se was a special guest referee at SummerSlam when it was in Minneapolis and then he was a color commentator for the XFL in its only season. He took a lot of heat(and justifiably so IMHO) for personally profiting from the office he was in. He was also a bit like Trump in that he was thin skinned as a politician and didn't take being criticized very well(but not as bas Trump). His mayoral term was in a weak mayor-council system(where the Mayor is pretty much a member of the city council) but he at least did have that which is more than Trump.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Golden Spike:
There's nothing wrong with a celebrity becoming an elected official, up to and including the president. It's just idiot celebrities I have a problem with.

Yeah but at least we've pretty much topped out the potential on that one.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

King Francis
Member # 24068

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
I don't have my finger on the pulse for MI, but is the current Senator unpopular and in jeopardy of losing? Calling travlr

we are laughing our asses off at another clown running.. dont forget we had Geoffrey Fieger run for office here...

why some think ignorance is a virtue is beyond me

--------------------

jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not see him winning....but Kid Rock is essentially a salesman who sells to people who are too dumb to realize he is probably not exactly genuine, so who knows.
Early to mid 90's he is a hip hop artist complete with stupid haircut.
Late 90's when Rap-Rock and Nu Metal takes off, he jumps aboard that bandwagon and sells a ton of albums.
Early 2000's that type of heavy metal starts dying out, so he gets on board with the patriotic southern country rock thing and really cashes in some more.

merc
Member # 125456

Initially I though he would spend time tearing up Stabenow, and a reputable republican would win the primary and walk thru her bruised campaign.

But I see Elizabeth Warren has jumped onto the fundraising bus and used this to raise Dem cash.

Mayb the Republicans ask him to go back on tour...

ETA:
I am a fan of his music, and I wouldn't call him fake. Having seen him live, met him once, read about his musical evolution I think he knows himself better than most "stars"

This recent Dan Rather interview (political hype?!?) does a good job detailing his highs (pun intended) and lows.

https://youtu.be/cmEPITo2ZjA

Too busy or lazy? Summary:
Middle class upbringing
Teenage DJ in the worst parts of Detroit
Signed to record label - fail
Has 1/2 black son in early 20's
Fights for & gets full custody
Signed to record deal - wins
Arrested in Waffle House
Does extensive USO tours in active war zones
Created $20 tix, $10 parking, $4 beer affordable shows
Laughed at himself - he lives in a double wide.
Canned lines on Pamela Lee marriage - used the same ones at the time. Clear denial.
Quit most vices...add your own joke.
Grandpa

[ 07-17-2017, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: merc ]

ltp711
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ltp711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merc:
Initially I though he would spend time tearing up Stabenow, and a reputable republican would win the primary and walk thru her bruised campaign.

But I see Elizabeth Warren has jumped onto the fundraising bus and used this to raise Dem cash.

Mayb the Republicans ask him to go back on tour...

ETA:
I am a fan of his music, and I wouldn't call him fake. Having seen him live, met him once, read about his musical evolution I think he knows himself better than most "stars"

This recent Dan Rather interview (political hype?!?) does a good job detailing his highs (pun intended) and lows.

https://youtu.be/cmEPITo2ZjA

Too busy or lazy? Summary:
Middle class upbringing
Teenage DJ in the worst parts of Detroit
Signed to record label - fail
Has 1/2 black son in early 20's
Fights for & gets full custody
Signed to record deal - wins
Arrested in Waffle House
Does extensive USO tours in active war zones
Created $20 tix, $10 parking, $4 beer affordable shows
Laughed at himself - he lives in a double wide.
Canned lines on Pamela Lee marriage - used the same ones at the time. Clear denial.
Quit most vices...add your own joke.
Grandpa

Kid Rock didn't have a "middle class" upbringing, his daddy owned car dealerships and this is the house he grew up in.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/macomb/2016/11/04/kid-rock-macomb-county-house/93299716/

[ 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: ltp711 ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations