WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » Presdident Trump's Job Approval Rating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Presdident Trump's Job Approval Rating
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though Gallup isn't doing election polls anymore, they are still busy with things like the ever-popular job approval polls. They just finished the first week of their daily tracking poll for the new president and.....it ain't gonna make the thin-skinned occupant(s) of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue very happy.

-

Eight days, and a majority of Americans disapprove of how he's doing his job.

Let's put this in perspective:

It took Barack Obama 936 days to reach this mark.
George W. Bush, 1205 days
Bill Clinton, 573 days
George H.W. Bush, 1336 days
Ronald Reagan, 727 days

Record breaking....but that wasn't a record I think The Prez wanted to see broken.....

[ 01-29-2017, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Travlr ]

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

IP: Logged
Sac
Member # 3044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rigged.
Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sac:
Rigged.

Okay, that was funny.
diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely rigged. They didn't poll those millions of invisible people that attended his inauguration.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diamondmd:
Absolutely rigged. They didn't poll those millions of invisible people that attended his inauguration.

and the 1/2 of them that were marching in the Womens march

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually tRump may be correct. Maybe most of his supporters are so white they're transparent.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No where to go but up.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Math isn't your strong point either, huh?

*smh" from the Sunshine State...

[ 01-30-2017, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTER:
No where to go but up.

I'm sure the Bush White House was thinking the same thing early in 2005....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTER:
No where to go but up.

As if that's a good thing.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Mark788
Member # 4659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark788   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallop is a loser. Never liked him... he's terrible.
Killllla
Member # 6193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killllla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these the same pollsters that had Trump getting crushed in the election? LOL
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

quote:
Originally posted by Killllla:
Are these the same pollsters that had Trump getting crushed in the election? LOL

NO. They aren't. Gallup has not done electoral polling since 2012. And they are still considered the Gold Standard™ for public opinion polling. Worldwide.

And their numbers aren't all that far off anyone else's (other than Rasmussen's, but they're always about 3-points to the right of everyone else), falling roughly in the middle.

And before you pooh-pooh the pollsters off-handedly, keep in mind that their figures were for the popular vote. What was their (averaged) result(s)?

HuffPo Pollster:
Clinton 47.3%
Trump 42%

RealClearPolitics National Average
Clinton 48.2%
Trump 46.1%

Actual Results
Clinton 48.0%
Trump 45.9%

So....while many of the individual State pollings were off, the national figure was well within the Margins of Error for UPI/CVOTER, NBC/SurveyMonkey, McClatchy/Marist, CBS/NYT, Politico/Morning Consult and others.

For national numbers, the various polling companies have been very good with their figures since 2000, and really even before that, going back to the 1970s. Doesn't fit the narrative that many on the Far Right try to push, but....well....numbers don't lie.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The national popular vote was very close to what most of the credible polls were predicting. But the reason the polls got ridiculed so hard in the days and weeks after the election is because that doesn't really matter if the polling companies are within half a percent on the popular vote if they get the winner wrong. So many of the electoral maps and even non-ideological pundits were insistent even the day of the election that the outcome was a foregone conclusion.

The Harry Truman Chicago Tribune photo is so iconic because the polls and pundits got the winner wrong. No one would care if Dewey had won and held up the same newspaper.

A day before the election, 538 had Trump at, what, 28 percent to win? The day after the election, Nate Silver took a victory lap and laughed hard at competitor models that had Clinton over 350 electoral votes and/or a 95+ percent chance of victory. Other than some delusional right-wing media sources, what polls or pundits actually had the outcome correct?

Michael Moore predicted the outcome correctly (and was completely on the money with his prediction of what was going to happen in the Rust Belt), but that may have just been a method to try and warn the Democratic base about not being overconfident.

[ 02-04-2017, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: 1000 Masks But No Jobs ]

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
83% of republicans still approve of what Trump is doing.

That should smack liberals and Democrats in the face. We perceive the first two weeks as being an absolute out of control overreach. Yet 83% of Republicans (and half of so-called independents who are often just dems or republican who think it's cool not to claim a party but aren't really centrists) approve.

This isn't a sprint, this is a marathon if progressives want to truly try and reclaim the soul of this nation.

Sac
Member # 3044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point I'd rather just split the nation in two, and I honestly mean that. I live in a sea of coal country reds, and there will be no winning their hearts and minds. Not gonna happen. I'm not gonna live forever. Let's just literally divide the country, and I'll move to wherever the progressive government is.

(And yeah, I know that's not feasible. But neither is convincing these people of anything.)

[ 02-04-2017, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Sac ]

Dirko
Member # 125609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a very interesting article from The Atlantic about which frames work on liberals and which ones work on conservatives when it comes to persuasion:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/the-simple-psychological-trick-to-political-persuasion/515181/?utm_source=atlfb

"for liberals that’s “harm and fairness (e.g. benevolence, nurturance, equality, social justice),” and for conservatives, “group loyalty, authority, and purity (e.g., patriotism, traditionalism, strictness, religious sanctity).”

The article also mentions that it seems to be counterproductive to attack the other side on a personal level:

"Still, there’s one thing Feinberg said definitely won’t work. In the wake of the executive order, Feinberg said he saw lots of liberals lobbing ad-hominem attacks, such as “you're being un-American” or “you’re making the Statue of Liberty cry.”

“People typically do not do well when attacked,” he said, “this could simply push them to be more staunch in their position.”"

This does not even take into account the fact that ANY statement aimed at you while you are in a highly charged emotional state is seen as an attack. Questions work much better to get the other person to think about your point.

Very difficult, though, to take this on board when you are reading posts that immediately make you go "The poster is an idiot!" or "The poster is an evil troll!" (My preferred knee-jerk reactions to the two types of conservative posters on this forum.)

--------------------
"I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health."
(Voltaire)

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dirko:
Here is a very interesting article from The Atlantic about which frames work on liberals and which ones work on conservatives when it comes to persuasion:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/02/the-simple-psychological-trick-to-political-persuasion/515181/?utm_source=atlfb

"for liberals that’s “harm and fairness (e.g. benevolence, nurturance, equality, social justice),” and for conservatives, “group loyalty, authority, and purity (e.g., patriotism, traditionalism, strictness, religious sanctity).”

The article also mentions that it seems to be counterproductive to attack the other side on a personal level:

"Still, there’s one thing Feinberg said definitely won’t work. In the wake of the executive order, Feinberg said he saw lots of liberals lobbing ad-hominem attacks, such as “you're being un-American” or “you’re making the Statue of Liberty cry.”

“People typically do not do well when attacked,” he said, “this could simply push them to be more staunch in their position.”"

This does not even take into account the fact that ANY statement aimed at you while you are in a highly charged emotional state is seen as an attack. Questions work much better to get the other person to think about your point.

Very difficult, though, to take this on board when you are reading posts that immediately make you go "The poster is an idiot!" or "The poster is an evil troll!" (My preferred knee-jerk reactions to the two types of conservative posters on this forum.)

Your final paragraph is part of the issue. We are flabbergasted by what we perceive as ignorance or willful mistelling of "facts."

that said I think what irritates many liberals, and myself in particular is that for years starting with the Rush Limbaugh types on talk radio, followed by the pundits on Fox news and more recently social media, conservatives have been positvely awful to liberals with insults. Throughout history it was the left that was called names. Red. Communist. Unamerican. Freeloader. And that became even worse with talk radio, Foxnews, websites devoted to insulting liberals, and social media. So when the liberals turned the tables and said some stuff themselves, all of a sudden all hell is breaking loose. Whaaaaa???? How dare you call names. That's not going to accomplish anything. That's jut like a liberal.

Honestly the whole thing is nauseating. We get called snowflakes when conservatism has been full of insults towards the other side and been based on being perpetually outraged about being a victim for 40 years.

So forgive me the next time I'm referred to as a libtard or a snowflake or a communist or a jesus hater or one of the many things tossed around regulary when I respond back by speaking the TRUTH and telling a Trump voter they are being racist or ignorant.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love to dish it out (however feebly) but SURE can't take it.

Who're the 'snowflakes', again... ?

--------------------

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

It's only getting worse:

-

And to go along with that, a majority of Americans disagree with The Prez' immigration ban.

And not to mention that, since November, more people have been in favour of the Affordable Care Act than against it

Or course, there is also the fact that apparently one-third of Americans weren't/aren't aware that the ACA and Obamacare were the same thing. And doesn't that tell you just a whole lot about the electorate....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

Sac
Member # 3044

How did I not notice that the title in this thread says "Presdident"? I'm slipping.

Well, I hope the approval rating continues to drop, but it's too late now. Little consolation.

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Will probably be coming back to this thread time and again over this year, unless things significantly change.

There's no real change in Gallup's numbers from a week ago, but there is a new survey out by Pew Research that bares some attention due to its findings.

First up is that 75% either approve or disapprove of Trump strongly. That's pretty....suggestive as to consumer feeling. Specifically, nearly half (46%) strongly disapprove, while 29% strongly approve. And that's a pretty big difference.

But here's a telling bit:
quote:
This level of strong disapproval already surpasses strong disapproval for Barack Obama at any point during the eight years of his presidency. The only occasion when strong disapproval of George W. Bush was higher than for Trump currently was in December 2008, near the end of his presidency.
And as the also note, "all presidents dating back to Ronald Reagan initially attracted at least modest support from the opposing party". But Trump is getting just 8% support from self-identified Democrats. That's abysmally low.

They survey has a number of other points that are of interest to see, but I'm confining myself to "job approval" with this thread.

And right now, The President better be a good swimmer, because he's about as underwater in that rating as I've ever seen, other than Nixon and Carter. And I've got a feeling we may see those numbers, er, "trumped".....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this has been a historically horrible Presidential beginning. President Trump's approval rating continues to drop, and there isn't anyone going back to Truman (when Gallup first began doing the "job approval" surveys) that even comes close:

-

Yeah, Truman, Nixon, Carter, both Bushes, and even Reagan fell further, but it took them a few months -- and a severe economic slump, a major crisis and/or a big political scandal -- to get there.

And Gallup's latest survey, released Saturday, shows the President in the high 30s in approval....and almost 60% disapproving:
 -

We're now into the range of figures that star producing "splash effects" to members of the President's party -- the sorts of splash effects that overcome things like incumbency and gerrymandering. Mostly just in those districts or States where the Party in question is only just squeaking by.

But let it get below 35% and it could start effecting not-so-endangered Congresscritters: Right now HHS Secretary Tom Price's old district has a Democrat leading the race by better than 20-points over the GOP candidates -- none of whom are polling over 16%.

And given the Congressional testimony by the FBI Director today, I'm betting it's going to get worse....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

PoorlyToldJoke from OH
Member # 4397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoorlyToldJoke from OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a fan, but I am more than suspect of these numbers, only because the polling has been so wrong so often about him.

--------------------
I always try to win every match in such a way that the person doesn't want to see me again. So you not only have to win that fight, you have to win all the future fights that person could want to have with you. - Ronda Rousey

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

quote:
Originally posted by PoorlyToldJoke from OH:
Not a fan, but I am more than suspect of these numbers, only because the polling has been so wrong so often about him.

Remember that Gallup hasn't been doing election polling for a couple of cycles now, but has continued doing job approval surveys for generations. This is their gig, in many respects.

I'd be very surprised if they were wrong.

And the fact that nearly every other polling company also has The Prez' approval rating underwater by 10-15 points, I'm very much of the opinion that this is the way it is.

((as usual, Rasmussen is being contrary, but their numbers this cycle were worse than almost anyone else's, so.....))

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

So today finishes President Trump's first full quarter in Office, and Gallup's figures for his job approval show him as having the worst approval rating of any President since the end of WWII. He averaged 41% over the period, 14-points lower than the previous worse, Bill Clinton, who "only" averaged 55%. The best ever for their First Quarter was JFK with 74%.

Like any other President, he does particularly well within his own Party -- 87% in this case, bettered only by George W. and Obama (89% and 90%, respectively). But in this case, given being 14-points worse than Clinton was sitting at this point, what support he may have had from the Center and Indie voters has pretty much collapsed.

[ 04-21-2017, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Travlr ]

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Not Gallup but...

-

--------------------

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Got a source for that one CM? One of the things that has been constant in not just Gallup's polls, but those of Pew, Quinnipac, Harris and the other major names is that there is a solid core of support for Trump -- his real base if you will -- of ~35% of the electorate. And those voters are only hunkering down and refusing to budge, which is why his approval figures so seldom dip much below 40%.

The demographics of that base are squirrelly, too: They're not what a lot of the Far Left try to promote. Nor are they a "traditional" conservative base, either. It's part of the reason why, regardless of what's going on with Trump, his level of support doesn't seem to move more than a point or three, up and down.

Still, haven't looked at the overall numbers for a couple of weeks (work's getting stupid busy), so things may have changed a bit, too.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations