WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » The Mark Markley Memorial Bar & Grill » Songs about Hank Williams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Songs about Hank Williams
DontHaveACowMan
Member # 2118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DontHaveACowMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ride by David Allan Coe, and Hank Williams You Wrote My Life by Moe Bandy were both awesome
IP: Logged
TheRealDoubleJ
Member # 1466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheRealDoubleJ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midnight in Montgomery by Allen Jackson was great too
JRJ

DontHaveACowMan
Member # 2118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DontHaveACowMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that one was pretty good, AJ is pretty legit for a pretty boy
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobby Joe Springfield did "Hank Drank."

Leonard Cohen mentions Hank in "Tower of Song."

Think Paul Westerberg has mentioned Hank in lyrics several times over the years.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt Johnson (The The) did an entire album of jacked-up Hank songs that garners my highest recommendation.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Then there was that Lyle Lovett song that has the great lyric comparing Hank Williams to Neal Armstrong. "Here I Am" maybe?
willibrord2
Member # 2098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willibrord2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness:

Are you sure Hank done it this way - Waylon Jennings (R.I.P.)

The Conversation - Hank Jr. & Waylon Jennings (R.I.P.)

If you don't like Hank Williams (you can kiss my $#@) - Kris Kristofferson/Hank Jr.

Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes - George Jones (mentions Hank)

Hank Williams Guitar - Freddy Hart

A Fifth of Hank - ?? (I forget)

That's all I can think of right now.

Mr.Piledriver
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Piledriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Blue Oyster Cult mention Hank by name in the song Go Go Godzilla?
Flair Robe Boy
Member # 1011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flair Robe Boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, one of Ronnie Milsap's later songs, Nashville Moon, mentions Williams. The song didn't get much press because Milsap was considered old and washed up by the early 1990's, but its a helluva song. Now that I think about it, Milsap never had a bad song. He can still entertain and still has that classic voice. Ronnie's the man. (Right up there with Ric Flair in my book!) Ok, I'm done now.

West

willibrord2
Member # 2098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willibrord2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't agree more with you about Milsap! The man has a golden voice. Just amazing. It's a shame he, like so many others, have been forced off the charts because they are older than the cast of "Friends."

BTW Robe Boy, thanks for all your help on that other matter, from that other board. I haven't used it, but I may at some point.

Best,
Ben Johnson

Flair Robe Boy
Member # 1011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flair Robe Boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by willibrord2:
Couldn't agree more with you about Milsap! The man has a golden voice. Just amazing. It's a shame he, like so many others, have been forced off the charts because they are older than the cast of "Friends."

BTW Robe Boy, thanks for all your help on that other matter, from that other board. I haven't used it, but I may at some point.

Best,
Ben Johnson

Ben,
Milsap is the man in my book. It is such a shame no one will play his stuff anymore. The thing is, he STILL has the voice and the talent. I have his newest release, the 40 Number One Hits, and the last two singles: :"Time Love and Money" and "Livin on Love" are new/modern songs and still kick @$$!!!

I called a local radio station the other day requesting his newest stuff (because I understand if they don't won't to play to older ones because it won't appeal and sadly most wouldn't care anyway)and they didn't even it in the station.

Milsap can still hang in there with the mondern young punks and cut one heck of a song. To me, consistency in a cutthroat business and longevitiy like Milsap has had consistitue "Legendary" status.

BTW, glad to help in you that other matter. Take care of yourself and best of Luck.

West

james beard
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james beard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This here topic 'blongs on the Blondes forum...where all the Xperts 'bout music and Hank and such hang out.
Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behold the magic of moderatin':
Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, this is why you must use these here powers only for good, unless someone urinates you off or such.

*shazam* from the Sunshine State!

Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Then there was that Lyle Lovett song that has the great lyric comparing Hank Williams to Neal Armstrong. "Here I Am" maybe?

Correct.

I'll have a cheese......burger.

GBM2002
Member # 2183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBM2002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was songs by Hank Williams and I was going to say that "Your Cheatin' Heart" discribed Dusty, but never mind this is the wrong answer.
james beard
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james beard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, the song Hank wrote for Dusty was "I Can't Help It If I'm Still Hung Over Too".....
james beard
Member # 658

Rhi, The only Cheeseburger song I recall had somethin' to do with Paradise.....Don't think it was Hank nor about him....
GBM2002
Member # 2183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBM2002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this started out about Hank and went to Jimmy Buffet, Cheesburger in Paradise. Is this describing Rhi and Dusty?
Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by james beard:
Rhi, The only Cheeseburger song I recall had somethin' to do with Paradise.....Don't think it was Hank nor about him....

It was Lyle Lovett's song, as Richard pointed out above. The cheeseburger appears only once in the song, as it is probably devoured soon after.

Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

quote:
Originally posted by GBM2002:
Well this started out about Hank and went to Jimmy Buffet, Cheesburger in Paradise. Is this describing Rhi and Dusty?

No. We ate together only once.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations