WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » The Mark Markley Memorial Bar & Grill » See (This Movie)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: See (This Movie)
Mayatt
Member # 812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mayatt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, "nothing to do with wrestling", huh? Well let's try for the first movie recommendation thread in this neck of the WCMB...

Just got done watching Pleasantville. Loved this movie. First word that actually comes to mind is "Capra-esque". Great story, great performances, and I even had a quiet little mark-out moment when Don Knotts showed up. Definitely going on my list of movies I'm gonna watch again.

...and since I suck at reviews, I'll leave it there. :-` Anybody else got some pointers?

IP: Logged
markfordibiase
Member # 1882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for markfordibiase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shockingly enuff I too enjoyed this little ode to the 50's sitcom world.
You know I think I would really have enjoyed growing up in THAT world.MFD

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by markfordibiase:
ode to the 50's sitcom world.

My G*d he did it. He COMPLETELY missed the point. It was an INDICTMENT of that world.

from the Sunshine State!

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

btw, YES. IMO one of the best movies of the past few years. Actually a dark satire disguised in Capra-esque clothing. William H Macy outdoes even his usual brilliance.

[This message has been edited by Crimson Mask I (edited 02-28-2002).]

markfordibiase
Member # 1882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for markfordibiase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of growing up in the 50's CM......how was it?MFD
Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Pretty much the way the movie had it. Two-dimensional. Mindless conformity.

Or so I hear.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Shockingly enuff I too enjoyed this little ode to the 50's sitcom world.

Hey, MFD. Word of advice. If you read 1984, that nice Big Brother fella? He's supposed to be the heel.

Mayatt
Member # 812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mayatt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

̣_O

What world *did* you grow up in?

markfordibiase
Member # 1882

quote:
Originally posted by Mayatt:
̣_O

What world *did* you grow up in?

I grew up in a world with walls son,I grew up in a world where, hold on....my wife is yelling, I gotta run, I will get back to this though.MFD

Married Jo Kopechne
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Married Jo Kopechne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've spoken well of this movie before on the WC Board, but if you haven't seen Ed Wood, you've missed one great movie. Also, a movie I really like, is CB4. Think of it as a black Spinal Tap, I think it's still Chris Rock's best movie. It's no movie of the year, but funny as hell, and any movie that has both Chris Elliot and Phil Hartman in it can't be all that bad can it? BTW, both of those, CB4 and Ed Wood are on the top of my wish list for DVDs, Ed Wood Special Edition DVD should be out in a few months, but no word on CB4 yet.
nothing to see here
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I:
Pretty much the way the movie had it. Two-dimensional. Mindless conformity.

Or so I hear.

Sort of sounds like high school in the 80's.

GBM2002
Member # 2183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBM2002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mayatt,

It seems that if you are not watching John Wayne movies or Clint Eastwood movies that you aren't getting the proper culture, SO, if you spend more time on this Forum we will add culture and sunshine to your life and you can break away from the rut you are in.

nothing to see here
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched The Shootist,The Searchers, and McClintock recently. The Duke was the greatest.
dw
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
midnight, you just went to no.2 on my list behind rhiannon. just for showing such great taste.
Married Jo Kopechne
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Married Jo Kopechne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey now, what about me? In the past month, no kidding, I've watched Hang Em High, High Plains Drifter, Tombstone, and The Cowboys on DVD, all of which I purchased. I'm in the process or purchasing every Clint Western on DVD I can find. He's my #1, although I have nothing but total respect for the Duke!
Married Jo Kopechne
Member # 2016

quote:
Originally posted by The Midnight Grigsby:
I watched The Shootist,The Searchers, and McClintock recently. The Duke was the greatest.

Actually, now that I remember, I watched McClintock on TBS the other Saturday!

dw
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
john wayne. a true american. clint eastwood's not doing too bad in that category either.
nothing to see here
Member # 672

quote:
Originally posted by Married Jo Kopechne:
Actually, now that I remember, I watched McClintock on TBS the other Saturday!

Was that Stefanie Powers a babe or what?

Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dw:
midnight, you just went to no.2 on my list behind rhiannon. just for showing such great taste.

Aw, Dusty, you say the sweetest things sometimes.

Did I happen to mention that MY favorite John Wayne movie is El Dorado?

Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midnight Grigsby:
Sort of sounds like high school in the 80's.

GAAAAHH!

Don't remind me!

dw
Member # 2106

i wouldn't know about high school in the 80's. i graduated in the 70's.
Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

But see, Dusty, you had the first punk bands to save y'all. WE got stuck with that British romantic-pop-rockers-invasion thing. Adam Ant, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, etc. etc.

*shakes head to clear it*

dw
Member # 2106

i listened to johnny cash, george jones and the rest of the outlaws. with a little dolly parton for good measure.
Rhiannon
Administrator
Member # 2091

Okay, but you were still saved. Sounds like you watched a fair bit o' Hee Haw in your day, too.
Married Jo Kopechne
Member # 2016

quote:
Originally posted by Rhiannon:
Okay, but you were still saved. Sounds like you watched a fair bit o' Hee Haw in your day, too.

Hey, I'm a child of the 80's, but I watched MORE than my share of Hee Haw as well! Buck Owens rules!

GBM2002
Member # 2183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBM2002   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dw:
i listened with a little dolly parton for good measure.

Dusty nothing little about the part of Dolly your were looking at.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations