WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » The Mark Markley Memorial Bar & Grill » Nolan Richardson

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nolan Richardson
nothing to see here
Member
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strictly from a wrestling promo standpoint, how do you rate his press conference yesterday?

IP: Logged
2ndhand Ded Lackey
Member
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ndhand Ded Lackey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a strictly promo standpoint, it was one of the best heel promo's I ever seen. He put himself over as the bigtime whiner, give me respect, bad guy.

From a professional standpoint, it was as bad as any meltdown Bobby Knight ever had. In my opinion, I think the only person obsessed with the fact that Nolan Richardson is black is...Nolan Richardson.


IP: Logged
Married Jo Kopechne
Member
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Married Jo Kopechne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Natchurboy:
From a strictly promo standpoint, it was one of the best heel promo's I ever seen. He put himself over as the bigtime whiner, give me respect, bad guy.

From a professional standpoint, it was as bad as any meltdown Bobby Knight ever had. In my opinion, I think the only person obsessed with the fact that Nolan Richardson is black is...Nolan Richardson.



In all fairness, if you had heard the entire press conference, you might not have come off with that opinion. EVERYTHING was taken out of context. ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for what they did, every clip you heard was just a piece of an overall theme, that wasn't necessarily about race. Although, if anyone has a claim about racism, its' him, he has been put through HELL there by some of the fans and alumni. Did you know that a few years back when his team was going through a rough stretch, his favorite horse on his ranch was shot and killed? They still haven't caught who did it, as far as I know, but things are always happening to him there, and a majority of it is the fact he's a black coach at Arkansas. And keep in mind, I am the biggest Duke fan there is/ever was, but even I can see his point on most of this stuff.


IP: Logged
nothing to see here
Member
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Married Jo Kopechne:

In all fairness, if you had heard the entire press conference, you might not have come off with that opinion. EVERYTHING was taken out of context. ESPN should be ashamed of themselves for what they did, every clip you heard was just a piece of an overall theme, that wasn't necessarily about race. Although, if anyone has a claim about racism, its' him, he has been put through HELL there by some of the fans and alumni. Did you know that a few years back when his team was going through a rough stretch, his favorite horse on his ranch was shot and killed? They still haven't caught who did it, as far as I know, but things are always happening to him there, and a majority of it is the fact he's a black coach at Arkansas. And keep in mind, I am the biggest Duke fan there is/ever was, but even I can see his point on most of this stuff.

Seriously, I was wondering what kind of relationship Nolan had with the media down in Arkansas and if his anger at them was justified when I saw the report on ESPN.
I also think Nolan could cut one heck of a promo!


IP: Logged
Married Jo Kopechne
Member
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Married Jo Kopechne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midnight Grigsby:
Seriously, I was wondering what kind of relationship Nolan had with the media down in Arkansas and if his anger at them was justified when I saw the report on ESPN.
I also think Nolan could cut one heck of a promo!


He has a pretty typical love/hate relationship with the media, but he is REALLY open down there, on the University's webpage, Nolan's home phone # is listed. But he was right, he IS entitled to one bad season, the guy has had a long stretch for tournament appearances, and one off season and all of the sudden they start calling for his head. But ESPN just pissed me off with their reporting of this, they played the clip of him saying "Nolan Richardson is the only good thing about the University", making it seem like he was REAL stuck on himself, when in all actuality, if they had played the ENTIRE clip, it was him reading from a letter sent by the parents of one of his recruits, their words, NOT his. ****** media.......

* see Dusty rulz

[This message has been edited by GBM2002 (edited 02-27-2002).]


IP: Logged
Arky
Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To understand Nolan Richardson better, you have to understand that whenever fans get displeased with him, they let him know. Then he often bites back with the kind of diatribe that you are referring to. It's Nolan's way. It's his way of justifying the job that he has done for the university and for the team. It usually blows over pretty quickly here, unless the national media picks it up like they just did. As for the shooting of his horses, that was done by some idiots who have no business walking around loose in society. To understand Nolan's character even more, his daughter died at a young age and that hurt him very much and I suspect that the experience has affected his outlook on life to some extent.
IP: Logged
2ndhand Ded Lackey
Member
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ndhand Ded Lackey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly don't discount his abilities as a coach. He can plan and recruit with the best of them.

On the other hand, Tubby Smith catches a lot of flack in Ky after a loss but I never saw him suggest that the school should buy him out or berate the press corps because of the color of their skin as opposed to his.



IP: Logged
D.Boon
Member
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.Boon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they like you only if you win.

Knight would never been pushed out of IU if he had done better in March in the '90's.

same with Crumm, John Thompson, or a any of the others


IP: Logged
james beard
Moderator
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james beard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How'd this serious stuff get on this forum???
IP: Logged
dw
Member
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
serious is ok. even wrestling is ok. although not encouraged. that stuff is for the pro wrestling board. we do this right, and everybody will be happy. we goof off over here, with just enough 'rasslin thrown in to keep us honest. and let the serious"how far did lou stick his foot up whipper's butt?" questions stay over there. with an occasional guest shot from one of us. mark may actually be onto something here.
IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Nolan was a d*** good pitcher. I can remember the no-hitter he pitched with the Astros as if it were yesterday.

*see Dusty Rulz, (if you have problems understanding speak to Dusty.)

[This message has been edited by GBM2002 (edited 02-27-2002).]


IP: Logged
kswrestler
Member
Member # 2259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kswrestler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree totally that he is entitled to one bad season, h*** he can have a few with what he has done. The only thing that ticks me off is the lame ass move pulling the race card, that was totally classless on his part. Like said in a previous post Tubby Smith, John Thompson and John Chaney all had lots of criticism and some bad seasons and some of them had a few outbursts but they never used the race card as an excuse. If Nolan had been ticked off and said everything he did and left the race issue out of it, no big deal that would have been tame by Bobby Knight standards. Nolan is a excellent coach and deserves a tirade once in awhile but keep the race out of it.
John
Ps ive been a big tubby smith fan since he was at Tulsa

* see Dusty rulz, look I didn't make 'em, so ya'll don't break 'em.

[This message has been edited by GBM2002 (edited 02-28-2002).]


IP: Logged
nothing to see here
Member
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the originator of this thread, I'm sorry it got so serious. Let's lighten up.

So who would win a fight between Rick Pitino and Pat Riley?


IP: Logged
dw
Member
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it wouldn't ever start. the hair you understand.
IP: Logged
nothing to see here
Member
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kswrestler:
I agree totally that he is entitled to one bad season, h*** he can have a few with what he has done. The only thing that ticks me off is the lame ass move pulling the race card, that was totally classless on his part. Like said in a previous post Tubby Smith, John Thompson and John Chaney all had lots of criticism and some bad seasons and some of them had a few outbursts but they never used the race card as an excuse. If Nolan had been ticked off and said everything he did and left the race issue out of it, no big deal that would have been tame by Bobby Knight standards. Nolan is a excellent coach and deserves a tirade once in awhile but keep the race out of it.
John
Ps ive been a big tubby smith fan since he was at Tulsa


*see Dusty rulz, look I didn't make the rulz Dusty did, take your beefs up with him.
I'm a Kentucky fan and I think Tubby is a great one. Quite frankly, I don't know how he kept from lashing out last year when every move he and Saul made was second guessed.

Right or wrong, Nolan's "boat" comment was a classic. Most people up here in Indiana thought he was talking about riverboat gambling though.....

[This message has been edited by GBM2002 (edited 02-28-2002).]


IP: Logged
nothing to see here
Member
Member # 672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nothing to see here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dw:
it wouldn't ever start. the hair you understand.

ROFL!


IP: Logged
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3