WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » Jack Brisco RIP (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Jack Brisco RIP
Pavlov's Dawg
Member # 22288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pavlov's Dawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NY pays tribute to Jack Brisco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1I41wlORps

IP: Logged
Tojo Boy
Member # 306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his bouts with the Funks in Fla. & his heel run in the Carolinas. Great pro.
StranglerLou from Fla
Member # 4478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StranglerLou from Fla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Champ.
There was a time in Tampa when the Homer Hesterly Armory was the best place to be in the world on Tuesday night. Jack was almost always the very best wrestler there.
I saw him work out a couple of times at the Tampa Sportatorium and that was more impressive than his matches. Incredible wrestler.

The Following Contest
Member # 6746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Following Contest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some footage on the History of the NWA title DVD that Vinnie just put out which shows Jack, tanned, jacked and lookin like a star in every way, jumpin out of a plane, crossing the tarmac and meeting some fans in a hallway. I assume because of the era and environment that it's someplace in Florida.

Jack always struck me the same way Maurice Richard or Jean Beliveau struck me: top of their game, classy, confident and without a hint of pretension.

You can't help but see that footage and think "yeah, I'd like to be that guy for a day."

[ 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: The Following Contest ]

orpheus
Member # 4957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orpheus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff in Texas:
I have to admit something. I haven't read the rest of the posts here, so it is probably just me. When I saw the picture that was so huge up top, I didn't realize it was Jack until I scrolled down. My first thought was "why do they have a picture of Kerry VE up on the board?" Jack had a great look, was a nice looking man and looked natural to me. He probably was far ahead of his time.

No shame in that admission. He DOES look like Kerry, doesn't he?
Rash at the beach
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rash at the beach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched an old dusty shoot and he talked about his bouts with Jack. Great matches

--------------------
Promotional Consideration paid for by the following

www.samedayrva.com

Www.blastpods.com

heinoushorseman1986
Member # 12747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heinoushorseman1986         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP,Jack Brisco.

I will always remember his 1982 feud with Roddy Piper over the MA Title and his 1983 heel turn with his brother that netted him 3 NWA tt title reigns.

I love my footage from Dec 10 1975 in Miami Beach where he lost the NWA title to Terry Funk.
I will watch that tonight.

RIP,Many Memories.

--------------------
Billy the Kid..
Saint Augustine,Florida 1513,1565,1672,1702,1740..

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim Ross said on his twitter that back in the early 70's when he was a ref, he refereed a Jack Brisco title defense against Danny Hodge. Ross says the match went the 60 min time limit and he didn't hear either one speak a word to the other for the whole match. I doubt anyone working today could do that.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Sierra (Cuban Assassin, Top Gun, El Boricua, the Assassin, ect) has a really nice article up on the wrestling observer site. Dave's a class act.

--------------------
email me at: inferno4l@hotmail.com
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
http://mlwradio.com/

KJL
Member # 3872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP to a true great who elevated the business while in it and then left it on his own terms while in full sovereignty of his body and mind. More guys need to follow his example.

--------------------
"Jeez, the thread was going better when people were calling each other cokeheads and homos." -Crimson Mask from FL

Jonny Lytnin'
Member # 6466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny Lytnin'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP to one of the true all time greats. My prayers and condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans. To those of you on the board who knew Jack in any way, my deepest sympathies go out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

--------------------
"Sometimes you wonder, I mean really wonder. I know we make our own reality and we always have a choice, but how much is pre-ordained?" -- John Lennon

Marcos from OK
Member # 5572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcos from OK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sad, what an all time great.

When I think about what I wish wrestling was today I think of either the more shoot oriented Japan stuff or the NWA of the 70's and early 80's with Jack Brisco matches as the best example.

While, like many, I didn't get to see him much as a kid, as he quit after I really got into wrestling, I became a huge fan once I started collecting tapes in the mid 80's. His match with Dory Funk that is the famous 1 hour draw is still one of my favorite matches. He just exemplified a type of wrestler that is not around today and a style that is non existent.

What really got me interested in Brisco initially is that he was listed in one of my magazines early on as being from Stillwater, OK, which was my hometown as a young wrestling fan. Today, one of my mentors wrestled on the same team with him at OSU (along with Adnan El Kaissey) and has great memories of Brisco.

One story I haven't heard repeated is the one Flair told about how he bet Roddy Piper $100 he couldn't take Brisco down (with Brisco having no advanced knowledge). He said Jack "hopped around on one leg for a while" before finally scooping up Piper after Roddy bum rushed him for a single leg and planting Piper on the mat. Couldn't be done.

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This from Tributes.com:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Jack-Brisco-87769943

quote:
Brisco, Jack, 68, of Odessa, passed away on February 1, 2010. He is survived by his wife Jan, 1 son, 2 daughters, 3 brothers and 2 sisters. A memorial mass will be held on February 11, 2010 at St. Lawrence Catholic Church. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the American Lung Association.

Ricky
Member # 1609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hong Kong Phooey:
Jim Ross said on his twitter that back in the early 70's when he was a ref, he refereed a Jack Brisco title defense against Danny Hodge. Ross says the match went the 60 min time limit and he didn't hear either one speak a word to the other for the whole match. I doubt anyone working today could do that.

Back in the mid-1960's in McGuirk's Tri-State, at one point Brisco and Hodge were the two main faces in that promotion (with Hodge holding a championship belt and Brisco with a tag-team belt, I believe). I wished there was some old TV videotape of that era.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was introduced to Jack (and Mr. Nulty, for that matter) at CAC '04. And, aside from his thinking I was actually Kit Bauman for about 30 seconds [Wink] , he was so incredibly courteous and (here's that word again) nice. I was very honoured to have gotten to meet him and shake his hand. And I told him he didn't need to autograph my copy of his book, he insisted and did so. I was very touched, as I'm not one to go looking for autographs (long-ish story to that, and for another time if anyone is actually interested).

You could see how much he enjoyed the company of his friends from the business (especially Danny Hodge and Les Thatcher, who always seems to be around and chatting with him). And his eyes would light up as he snuck a fast barb in Mark's direction. The night of the first organized CAC Baloney Blowout, after the munchies, Jack and his Lady-Wife (who was equally as pleasant and kind) were holding court at one of the bars at the Plaza, and I learned so much about the biz from that fifteen minutes or so than I think I did in the year previous at KM and her at WC.

Then Jack said that Mark needed to learn how to play blackjack, and to follow him.

Three or four hours later, I'm wobbling back in the general direction of my room with Plowboy and someone else, and there were Jack and Mr. N., sitting at the table. Jack has a small stack of chip in front of him, and Mark.....I think he was having a "learning experience".

I'd always hoped to meet him again at some future CAC.

I'm incredibly saddened that I never will now.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Mark Nulty from WA
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Nulty from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travlr:

Three or four hours later, I'm wobbling back in the general direction of my room with Plowboy and someone else, and there were Jack and Mr. N., sitting at the table. Jack has a small stack of chip in front of him, and Mark.....I think he was having a "learning experience".

Actually held my own at the table that night, thank you. [Smile]

I remember that blackjack session. We were at the $5. This was after circling for about 30 minutes looking for seats at the $5 table. One of the things Jack and I had in common is that we were pretty cheap when it came to our gambling.

There was a British woman sitting on our left. People that have played blackjack before will know this woman. She's the person that wants to tell everybody else how they should have played their hand after the dealer is finished.

Jack went on a run where he had a bunch of 14s, 16s, 15s, 13s in a row. It was one of those runs where every decision you make is a close call and somehow Jack kept being on the wrong end of a bunch of the calls.

Meanwhile, the British lady keeps getting angrier and angrier as the hot dealer was killing the whole table. She kept telling her friend at the table how bad everybody else was at the table. She began scolding Jack about how he was misplaying his hands.

Finally after about 30 minutes, the British lady gets up from the table in a huff and goes, "The stupid yank keeps taking my cards," as she proceeds to storm off.

I laugh and look at Jack and go, "I think you ran her off."

Jack just laughed. "Really? I wasn't even paying attention."

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Jack. I remember going to my grandparents and watching Wrestling at the Chase on Saturday nights on a grainy 19 inch black and white tv. But throught the snow I saw a champ named Jack Brisco. RIP to one of my childhood heroes

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW

I've been inactive here for awhile and I come back today and this is the 1st thing I see

He and Jerry were great as heels in the Mid Atlantic territory feuding with Steamboat and Youngblood IIRC...

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

Mr4wrestle
Member # 811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr4wrestle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Brisco
midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn!!!! Been away for a few days and logged on to see this. It seems as a wrestling fan, if you leave the wrestling news for a week or two, you always come back to one of these. Sorry to hear.

God Bless his soul and his family.

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R.I.P. Jack

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

The Street Fightin Man
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Street Fightin Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say how saddened it is to make this reply, but I want to pay my respects to the family and Jack's accomplishments. God bless.

--------------------
NEW QUOTE:

"As far as they are concerned, I am a time traveler.A man out of time, lost, trying to find a way home. My journey, one most of them could never imagine. The truth of my appearing among them never suspected...As far as they know, I, the time traveler, have gone home...Have left them to their lives, never to be there for them again.

That could NOT be further from the TRUTH.

There is a WAR coming...and with it, many dark times.

Captain Marvel would not leave his adopted world in it's time of need. Captain Marvel would protect it at ALL costs. No matter what once my body once was...I am the sworn protector of this world and her people.

I will STAND between the coming attack and the innocents who cannot fight for themselves.

I WILL protect the world through the coming darkness, for I am Mar-Vell of the Kree.

I am...

CAPTAIN MARVEL. - Captain Marvel 2008 (Reed)

"In this land of the dead, I will stand strong."- me (something I'm working on)

Jimba
Member # 1949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Brisco was the first ever world champ I saw wrestle. He came to Australia around 1974 as the NWA champ. I was a huge fan at the time (and for 30 yrs after). He was everything I thought a great world champ should be.

A great wrestler and a great champion.
R.I.P

[ 10-05-2010, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Jimba ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations