WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » Jack Brisco RIP (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Jack Brisco RIP
mickeydo
Member # 21648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mickeydo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Champ. Thoughts and prayers for Jack's family, friends and many fans.
IP: Logged
Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Bong! RIP Jack

I could've sworn I read some weeks ago in the Observer that it was Gerald that was having the heart problems, but must have misread that.

[ 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Hong Kong Phooey ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry had a series of strokes, and is recovering.

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

SkullKrusher12000
Member # 4720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkullKrusher12000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my big influences. RIP to a great, great wrestler.
Dissin' Terry Funk
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dissin' Terry Funk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] R.I.P. Champ....
Marty Goldstein from WA
Member # 1918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Goldstein from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke about him on my radio show today and tried to explain to an old AWA town how truly great Jack was in and out of the ring. What a champion.

--------------------
www.citycircus.ca
Canadian politics and civic affairs and sometimes wrestling.

Twitter: @TGCTS
Read my stories on Slam! Wrestling too!

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't fortunate enough to see Jack in action during his prime, championship years. Read about him a bunch in the mags as a kid. As a smarky teen, I became aware of who he was and what he meant, even though, when I finally got to see him he was winding down his career.
Again, the common theme is a class act and a true professional in a business where either is a rarity.
Condolences to the Brisco family, and to his close friends in our extended "family" on this board, Mark, Mask, Rich, and whomever else I am omitting. Also my friend and co-worker Johnna who grew up in Florida as a HUGE Jack Brisco fan along with her late dad, condolences to all.

RIP: Jack Brisco

And truly the end of an era.

[ 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: BERT from NJ ]

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hong Kong Phooey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This card was forty years ago this week. Wish I could've been there:

-

Mark788
Member # 4659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark788   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Jack Brisco.
RedStorm
Member # 4700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedStorm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just turned on RAW and saw the Jack Brisco montage and thought it was strange that they were showing it because I thought he was inducted into the Hall of Fame two years ago.

Then I saw the RIP and my jaw just dropped.

RIP to one of the classiest, most professional performers this business has ever seen.

A true legend.

The Midnight Jobber from NY
Member # 1167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Midnight Jobber from NY   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing that tribute video on Raw was the first shocking moment in wrestling for me in a long time. I wasn't online since this morning, and missed the beginning of Raw where apparently they showed a graphic of Jack, so I was totally unaware of this until the tribute video came on, which was a very unpleasant surprise.

Nice tribute video by WWE on such short notice.

Philly Sports Fan
Member # 18264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philly Sports Fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was a good guy, and a true ambassador for the sport. RIP

--------------------
***This post requires participatory viewer discretion.***

Jeff Bowdren
Member # 652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Bowdren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack was one of the heroes of my youth. I can remember watching the old Championship Wrestling from Florida broadcasts when he would fight Dory Funk Jr--with Dory as the world champion, inevitably just managing to hang on by the skin of his teeth as the time limit ran out, fighting off the effects of Jack and that figure 4 leglock of his.

A lot of times, when you become an adult, you get a chance to meet those heroes of your youth only to be sadly letdown. I met Jack a few years back at the CAC in Las Vegas and was very happy that he didn't let me down...that he was just as warm and gracious as I had thought he would be when I was a kid. I had met him at a breakfast get together during the CAC and then when we had a photo op at the convention itself--all the Florida boys surrounding the world champion of our youth and his championship belt. It was a great moment.

A couple of days later we were all due to fly back home and went to the airport where we ran into Jack and his lovely wife (and a terrific lady to boot) Jan. We went over to say hello to them and it really struck me that he remembered all our names. Having one of my childhood heroes look over at me and say:

"Jeff, how are ya?"

One of the hilites of my life.

R.I.P. my friend. And God bless you.

--------------------
"I don't believe the good times are over..

I don't believe, the thrill is all gone...

real love...is a man's salvation, the weak ones fall but the strong carry on.."

Tom Petty

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

Another classic Brisco main event

-

So lets see, if Super Destroyer loses by pinfall or submission he unmasks. If Super Destroyer *wins* he unmasks (after all if a masked guy wins the world title the press will want to know who he is)

Guess this means Jack had to take Super D broadway to help him keep his mask [Smile]

Richard Berger 1A
Member # 2385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Berger 1A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't add a thing to what folks here have been posting other than to mirror them. Jack Brisco, a true champion in every manner, bespoke of class with every appearance he made. Simply put, he was the living embodiment of the phrase "sports hero"; wrestling was his one and only gimmick.

R*I*P*, Mr. Brisco.

--------------------
Millennials are starting to refer to newspapers as 'hobo laptops' ... Chris Hardwick, @ Midnight, Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016

I believe vegans have an ideological eating disorder ... Mark Maron

Beyond Salem
Member # 1597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beyond Salem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Jack....
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn man!!! I just saw this...as soon as I saw his picture I knew what happened...what a tremendous loss for those of us who love "old-school wrestling"

I pay my greatest respects to you Mr. Brisco..may you REST IN PEACE, and thanks for the wonderful memories

Jumbo

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm blown away. Sorry to hear of the passing of this great champion.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

BrunoStar
Member # 5631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrunoStar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP
He was everything a great champion should be.

Hong Kong Phooey
Member # 15199

In honor and memory of Jack Brisco...

Jack Brisco vs. Ric Flair in a classic tv match!

Liquid Tension
Member # 24653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liquid Tension     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Champ.

--------------------
"I play in a band."
"Really? What instrument do you play?"
"Bass."
"You play a fish??"
"Well, fish do have scales......"

J Hillenburg
Member # 395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J Hillenburg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous:
R.I.P.

-

One of my favorite wrestling pictures. Iconic.
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 14 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got through listening to Larry Matyszik's interview on Meltzer's site about Jack, and Larry offered up something as to why Jack STAYED retired which I've never really thought of, but it makes perfect sense.

Larry said he felt that Jack was secure enough within himself as to how good he was that he didn't need thousands of people cheering for him at an advanced age to feed whatever his ego may be lacking.

If one thinks about it, that's the best testament as to the greatness of the man.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

BadBoy Shields
Member # 1915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BadBoy Shields     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R.I.P. JACK....You made the world a better place.

"BONG"

--------------------
Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at funeral? It is because we are not the person involved-Mark Twain

Pink And Black Attack
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink And Black Attack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a shocker to me.

As has been said by everyone; he was an amazing wrestler. I will never forget him leaping off the top rope, flying halfway across the ring, and landing a perfectly precisioned knee onto Jay Youngblood. Brisco was a one of a kind. I am glad that the WWE inducted him into their Hall Of Fame when they did. He's one of the true great NWA World Heavyweight Champions.

Timekeeper, ring the bell ten times. May he rest in peace.

--------------------
The Pink & Black Attack is back, baby!!

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

daragaki
Member # 5806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daragaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP
Wrestling Perspective
Member # 1487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wrestling Perspective   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Jack.

--------------------
Fake ... Working Through Wrestling's Past

Magnum GA
Member # 1286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnum GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had the opportunity to see much of him wrestling aside from Jerry and his run as WWF tag team champs. I had heard a lot about him before that and after seeing him, I could understand the reputation that preceded him. Truely one of the all-time greats.

RIP Champ.

orpheus
Member # 4957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orpheus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sad to hear this news. Jack Brisco was before my time and I was largely unaware of him until I found this website. In my mind at least, he will always be the fit, young guy with the bushy hair and killer reputation pictured at the top of the board.
The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit something. I haven't read the rest of the posts here, so it is probably just me. When I saw the picture that was so huge up top, I didn't realize it was Jack until I scrolled down. My first thought was "why do they have a picture of Kerry VE up on the board?" Jack had a great look, was a nice looking man and looked natural to me. He probably was far ahead of his time.
Abdullah The Pastry Chef from TN
Member # 3001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abdullah The Pastry Chef from TN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A classy athlete and ambassador of professional wrestling. He is missed.

--------------------
When news breaks, we fix it.

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the sort of thing one wants to get hit with first thing in the morning. What a sad thing.

I'll have something after work, I'm hoping.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Nicko
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watching the above TV match with Jack and Ric Flair and its just sad to see an end to the great old days of wrestling, while I was just starting to watch wrestling and enjoyed the best years of 78 thru 88ish time line. How easy Jack, Wahoo and the great stars of that area made it appear to us on TV. A sad day for all of the wrestling world. RIP.
Rash at the beach
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rash at the beach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the BEST!!!

Legends never die

--------------------
Promotional Consideration paid for by the following

www.samedayrva.com

Www.blastpods.com

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just been watching Brisco vs. Funk. Just wow.

--------------------
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
---
And BABY DOLL...shame on you mama...cause I know you better than anyone!

Woodward
Member # 6387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodward     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Mr.Brisco.
heffer.2
Member # 25451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heffer.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP to other than Lou Thesz, the quintessential World Champ.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article

Here is an interesting article on Jack Brisco from 1970.

--------------------
email me at: inferno4l@hotmail.com
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
http://mlwradio.com/

CWFmark from FL
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CWFmark from FL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tampa Bay Online/Tribune Obituary
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations