WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » 'Texas' Jack Bence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Texas' Jack Bence
malc19ken
Member # 8980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malc19ken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember 'Texas' Jack Bence?

He came over to fight in the UK and I saw him at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall. He was quite a character, and in the UK he always played the 'bad guy,' and was always close to disqualification. Having said that, he knew how to wrestle.

What was his fighting personality in the US? And what happened to the guy? Any ideas?

Malcolm from the UK

IP: Logged
Beyond Salem
Member # 1597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beyond Salem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Bence wrestled mostly as a prelim veteren in the Vancouver area in the late 60's early 70's. He was a very tough believable heel who always put on a great match.
Rich Tate
Administrator
Member # 1374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Tate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't old enough to have seen him during his career, but here's a snapshot of his time in Georgia.

--------------------
Georgia Wrestling History

Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was working basically as an underneath card heel in Florida in the early '60s. As mentioned he wound up his active career in the PNW area, where he is credited with having trained Don Muraco.

So long from the Sunshine State!

John Shelvey
Member # 7742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Shelvey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Texas in a one night tourney at the Brighton Stadium in the early 60s. After Joe Cornelius had received a black eye before beating Dangerous Danny Lynch, he then met Texas in the semi-final. Texas used resin (from the resin tray the guys would wipe on the soles of their boots just before entering the ring) to the black eye and pinned Joe. However once the referee had been informed of the villains' dastardly deed the ref. dqd. him. In the final Joe came in with his eye all but closed and his opponent the Great Music Hall villain Alan Garfield (Sir Alan to our American cousins) would continually move to Joe's blind side. Of course our Hero won out. Well actually no, in what I thought was a great peice of booking the handsome Hero did not win against the odds, going down gallantly 2-1. I've always wondered whether Joe got a genuine 'Blacky' and then came up with the idea of Bence worsening the eye and that in the end being the reason he lost the tourney. Or was it all planned from the off. I have to say the eye did look pretty bruised from where I sat and it didn't appear to get 'smuddged' as the evening wore on, if it was make up. Also, I don't know if they would bother to go to those lengths back then. I remember Texas as a tough and entertaining villain who could certainly rile the crowd with his rule bending. I recall he mimicked licking his finger and drawing it across his brow suggesting to the crowd their hero was a 'fairy' (that eras'word) Joe would then start to pull Texas into the ropes and pat the Texan's backside which of course riled the cowboy no end. (Also used effectively by Ricky Starr.)
Cheers, John, ends.

--------------------
js

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bence wrestled in the AWA in 1971, strictly in preliminaries and as a jobber on TV. And it was a dirty shame because it was painfully obvious that he was a talented wrestler. The AWA must've needed a decent wrestler in the prelims and that happened to be the role they had for him at that time. I loved watching him and it was a relief to see him on TV as the match would look a lot more competive with him in it as opposed to some of the pot-bellied yokels who didn't have a clue. I remember that Bence wore trunks and a separate colored tunic in the AWA.
My cousin was sitting ringside for a match in Green Bay, WI and Bence ended up in her lap.
According to Gary Will's Deceased Wrestlers List, Bence died in April 1985.

Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's two results I have for Jack Bence from the Omaha area in 1971...

7/24/71 Omaha
Jack Bence def. Krusher Kowalski

09/18/71 Omaha
Midwest Tag Team Title
"Gentleman" Jerry Miller & Johnny Valentine, Jr. (c) def. Ali Ben Khan & Jack Bence

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

Frank Earl Black
Member # 9792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Earl Black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew Jack Bence well,you are right,he was a real character,and could wrestle too.He would tie his opponent in a leglock,and shake hands or chat with fans at ringside while his opponent could not move.Once,when the doctor examining him before a match told him his blood pressure was high,he said;"But I have not seen the payoff yet".In New Zealand,his opponent,Andre Drapp would do a back somersault when he got into the ring.Bence would badger him through the match to do another somersault.Eventually,Drapp would agree to do one,but instead he would drop kick Bence over the top rope,to the delight of the fans.Earl Black.
Tom Burke
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Burke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Bence was from Massachusetts - Northampton and Pittsfield were his billing cities when he first started in the 1940's. He was one of the first wrestlers to start wrestling overseas after the end of World War Two. He did tours of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England and Continental Europe.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations