WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » Ole Sanook?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ole Sanook?
frankmatkojr
Member # 5407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frankmatkojr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack did you ever hear of, meet or get to see an old time Native American heel wrestler named Ole Sanook?

If so could you tell me anything about him?

--------------------
Welcome to the DOG POUND! GO BROWNS!!!

IP: Logged
ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must meen Orley Saunooke. (not sure of spelling, and from the variations I've seen, no one else was. Sounds ESkimo doesn't it? Of course he was billed as Chief Saunooke, and must have been huge. He was featured in a match for the super hwt championship of the world once. I don't recall the opponent or the victor, but it was a one-time episode I believe. I could find some details if you are interested.
frankmatkojr
Member # 5407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frankmatkojr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ttf:
You must meen Orley Saunooke. (not sure of spelling, and from the variations I've seen, no one else was. Sounds ESkimo doesn't it? Of course he was billed as Chief Saunooke, and must have been huge. He was featured in a match for the super hwt championship of the world once. I don't recall the opponent or the victor, but it was a one-time episode I believe. I could find some details if you are interested.

I was pretty sure of the spelling of the first name as OLE because I read about him in a Norman Krietzer mag about real Native American Wrestlers. You are probably right about the last name and like you said he may have wrestled under different personas.

When and where did he wrestle? and any other information you have on him would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Welcome to the DOG POUND! GO BROWNS!!!

ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prior 4/15/65: Chief Osley Bird Saunooke died at Ashville, NC at 58. He wrestled 21 years and once claimed the world title. His career lasted from 1937 to 1951. He had 5,217 matches and promoted in Ashville from 51 to 63. Saunooke claime the title over 14 years. (Probably because there was never another super hwt title contest billed after he won it from Tor Johnson)
He wrestled 2 decades, defeating MMDean, LONDOS(what?) and Marshall.
Note: the Saunooke title was the Bruiserweight, over 275. Could give you some results, and probably oodles of spellings. Curious, why the interest? (I still think it might be Orley).

ttf
Member # 34

CHIEF SAUNOOKE
6/27/35 Denver: Everett Marshall def Young Gotch in tourney final and was given a world title belt by Colorado. Saunooke was one of those beaten by Gotch in the tourney.

12/4/35 Chicago: MARSHALL def Saunooke
Columbus: MARSHALL def Sunoco (take your pick)

ttf
Member # 34

CHIEF OSLEY SAUNOOKE. (This is murder to put together because of all the spellings)
7/31/35 Denver: MARSHALL def Chief Osley Sanooke
10/9 Columbus: Bill Leone-W (Sunoco)
10/23 Col: George Gustovich-W
10/30 Col: Ghafoor Singh-W
11/20 Col: Karl Vakturoff-w
11/29 Cinc: John Evko-w

Tom Burke
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Burke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don Eagle
Kit Fox
Chief Big Heart
Chief White Owl
Navajo Joe
Princesss Tona Tomah

Tom Burke
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Burke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Two Rivers
Frank Hill

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met a guy about 10 years ago in Asheville who was close with Saunooke's family. Wish I'd kept in touch. His promotional efforts there is what fascinates me (given the huge Cherokee population there and how over Wahoo was with the local tribal folk).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations