WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » My Tampa Trip - A Tribute to Bobby Shane

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Tampa Trip - A Tribute to Bobby Shane
Alfred Ticineto,
Member # 1855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alfred Ticineto,   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings all. I had a great time in Tampa, and I wanted to share this with the group. Briefly, I had sent out e-mails to various Tampa media outlets inquiring about doing something to honor him next February on the 30th anniversary of his death. I was invited by a program director of a local Tampa tv station to do a presentation on Bobby this year, and I taped the show yesterday.

My trip was short but sweet. Tuesday at work dragged and I couldn't wait to get to the airport after work. The flight was on time leaving and we landed in Tampa around 11:00 PM. At the airport in Tampa, we had to take a shuttle train to another part of the airport to get to baggage claim (bo clue where I was supposed to go - I just followed the crowd). Got my suitcase, and caught the (free) shuttle to the hotel around midnight. It was funny - the driver mentioned that the weather wasn't too comfortable out - but coming form 50 degree New York wether to 65 or so that night, it was like a day at the beach. I got to the hotel by 12:15, I was too excited to sleep so I walked around the hotel a bit and then outside for a while.

The next morning after breakfast, I practiced my presentation on Bobby, and before I knew it, it was time to head off. Before heading to the tv station, I had the pleasure of spending some time with Jack Brisco. He and I talked about his career and the many wrestlers he faced and also about his time in Japan and Australia. Meeting with Mr. Brisco was truly a memorable experience - something I never would have imagined possible when I used to watch him on Championship Wrestling from Florida, and it is something I will always remember. You know, last year I had the pleasure of meeting Cowboy Bob Kelly in Mobile and that was a memorable and enjoyable meeting as well. Both were good guys in the ring, and they remain good guys outside the ring as well.

I later went to the tv station, and I felt ready to get in front of the camera and pay tribute to Bobby. After I filled out a release, the program director told me that it was a very casual show, relax, and even if I miss a line here or there, not to worry. It's funny, the presentation itself was six pages long, and i had a lot of points i wanted to make, hopefully, I thought to myself, I wouldn't leave anytthing out. They set me up in a small room and before I knew it, I was in front of the camera, talking aobut Bobby Shane, Florida wrestling, and Bobby's influence on me. It went pretty well (I had left out a couple of lines here and there, but I covered it). I had a cople of photos of him, and at the end of the presentation they played a bit of the song I wrote about him. I should be recieving my copy of the show by next week.

It has meant a lot to me to pay tribute to Bobby in these different ways over the years, but you know, I wish it was possible to pay tribute to all the great workers of the good old days. From Abdullah through Zbyszko, they were our heroes. God Bless them all.

Alfred

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations