WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » Paul Jones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul Jones
Jeff Luce
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Luce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What were the reasons Paul Jones never had a run as the NWA World Champ? Jones embodied everything a world champ should be.

1. He had the look
2. He could work face & heel
3. He was way over in all territories he worked
4. He could talk
5. Most of all he could wrestle

IP: Logged
Klon
Member # 1968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking only for myself, I was bored out of my mind during Number One, Paul Jones run here in Florida during the early 70's.I kept wishing he would go back to the Carolina's,reform his tag team with Nelson Royal and stay there.I could go into more details, but you are a Jones fan.And it's like elbows, everyone has them (cleaned up to keep ol'Klon from heading to the phantom zone)
MongolianStomperBBQ
Member # 1721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MongolianStomperBBQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed Jones as a wrestler, but he never came across as a great talker to me. Just one man's opinion.
p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Paul Jone are a liar."
-Rufus R. "Freight Train" Jones

Wild Red Herring
Member # 1871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Red Herring   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jones' interview skills weren't his forte. I did always think that if they had changed his name to Paul Frederici and made him speak with an Italian accent, he could've gone to the WWWF in the late 60's/early 70's and been bigger than Bruno.
Jack Brisco
Administrator
Member # 1944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Brisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul was over like nobody's business here and in the Carolinas!

Paul was very underrated. Paul was a great wrestler. I had many title bouts with him over the Florida title and the World title. He was a great Mid-Atlantic champion. I always had great matches with Paul, and so did everyone else. All the boys enjoyed working with Paul.

Paul never wanted to go anywhere but here and the Carolinas and really didn't even want to come here. I was the one that made him come here. A lot of the promoters didn't know what a great talent Paul was because he didn't get around enough.

Jeff Luce
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Luce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the Insight Champ.
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Paul was great! One of my three all time favorites with Wahoo and Terry Funk. A lot of people only remember him as a B team manager in WCW. And some seem to paint it that he was only big in the Carolina's because he was in with The Crockett's and George Scott but Paul was over really big in Texas and Florida.

He had great matches with Brisco, Race, and Terry Funk. Also great matches with Ric Flair before Flair was ever world champ. Paul could work with anybody and had great fire and could go heel or babyface. He also would work and be credible against a giant like Blackjack Mulligan.

I am not sure I would have put the NWA strap on him but if he would have won it I would have loved it. RIP Number 1

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations