WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Jack Brisco forum » Australian days?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Australian days?
Geoff from Melbourne
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff from Melbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Jack.
Its great to have someone of your stature on here.

What are your memories of your visits to Australia during the late 60s & early 70s.
Your battles with Killer Karl Kox and Spiros Arion are well remembered here.

Also would I be right in thinking that it was here in Australia that you and Billy Robinson had your first matches against each other?

IP: Logged
Jimba
Member # 1949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Geoff,

Sorry it's only Jim from Sydney, not Jack Brisco. Good to see another Aussie here. I was almost going to ask the same question as you did.

Talking of Brisco, I guess you have the "Slam" tape with Arion V's Brisco. Good stuff alright.

I can just remember Brisco coming here in the 70's. My favorite time in Aussie wrestling was "The War" angle in the early 70's.

Do you know if the Aussie magazine Piledriver is still being published? I have not seen a new copy since May 2000.

C'ya around the boards.

Geoff from Melbourne
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff from Melbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Jim
Unfortunately "Piledriver" is no longer published. May 2000 (issue 33) was the last issue that came out.
There was going to be a "FINAL Issue" but for different reasons never eventuated.

You will find a couple of other Aussies on the board.
Libnan Ayoub from Sydney is one.( Walking encyclopedia on Australian wrestling)

Mr Wonderful from Qld. (although his "whereabouts" are in question due to a cricket match he was involved in last Sunday?)

Darwin Boy (from Darwin).

Great to have you aboard.

Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add another shrimp on the barbie you blokes !

Yes another Aussie. I have been living in Dc for 8 years but still get stopped and asked about "that crazy dude in the Shorts, Crocodile Hunter"

If you have old copies of Piledriver I actually wrote some articles for them years ago. I am good mates with Johnny Gray so know a bit about old World Championship wrestling days but not as much as Libnan of course.

Anyway hopefully we can get a bit of a chin wag going about wrestling old and new. And while I'm here did Spiros Arion pass away or not. I have heard conflicting reports. And on Jack Brisco Johnny said he was the best wrestler he ever faced in terms of pure wreStling ability.
Cheers,
Mike

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiros did NOT pass away. Lib himself was the one who uncovered this and spoke to Spiros a few months ago. The confusion came because somehow the mistaken idea got around that Spiros' real name was Andreas Lambrakis. As far as I know his real name is Spiros Arion. Lambrakis is a famous Greek wrestler from a slightly earlier period. Lambrakis was the one who died in '97.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Geoff from Melbourne
Member # 47

quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike in Dc:

If you have old copies of Piledriver I actually wrote some articles for them years ago. Mike

G'day Mike "The Coach"
Welcome aboard!
I was only just reading one of your old articles a few days ago!
The one on referee "Michael Hunt". (can you believe that I don't remember anyone sniggering when he was introduced back then?)
Your's & Ed Lock's articles were my favorite bits in the early Piledrivers.
Your input on the board will be most welcome and appreciated.

Jimba
Member # 1949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Geoff, Mike and all other Aussie's,

Did you guy's see the post - from "mark to smart" on the main wresting board forum, here?

I posted my "learning" experience with Milano and Baker. Check it out.

I would really like to hear from other Aussie's, about how they found out about "what was really going on" in wrestling.

Cya mate...

Jack Brisco
Administrator
Member # 1944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Brisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first went into Australia very young an inexperienced, I was in my first year. I wrestled a lot of the big names like Killer Karl Kox, Killer Kowalski, Dr Bill Miller, Brute Bernard, Skull Murphy, Spiros Arion, Mario Milano, Tony Parisi. Being a rookie, a sure got schooled in a hurry being in the ring with such great veteran stars. I learned an awful lot from them. I loved Australia and their fans were fabulous.

And you're right, it was the first time I met Billy Robinson. He was the World champ back then. Their World tag champs were Miller and O'Day. They had a promotion there after Barnett pulled out. I think Brian Blair wrestled for them.

Mr. Wonder ful
Member # 841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Wonder ful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You certainly did learn in a hurry. I can still recall the match you had with Billy Robinson in Brisbane was one of the greatest I've ever seen!
I wonder if you have any recollection of the angle where a young lady (the president of the Australian Jack Brisco fan club) presented you with a watch in appreciation, and later in the show, Lars Anderson and Dick Murdoch (from memory) came out and destroyed it. It's little things like that that stay with one far longer than the so-called 'important' things in life!

Lucas
Member # 918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack--Thanks to my Australian buddy Geoff, from Melbourne, I have a number of clippings from Australia with you listed on the cards, wrestling those fellas that you mentioned above, & more. If you'd like some copies of them, just e-mail me, & I'll fix you up! BTW, I remember Johnny Gray well, from his 1974-'75 days here in Tennessee, for Gulas. He was a talented heel wrestler, & I have him on some 1975 Memphis video, teaming with George Barnes & Bill Dundee, vs. the Fullers.
Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Geoff and the rest of the Aussies,

Thanks for your comments re my Piledriver articles. I enjoyed writing for them but after moving to the States I lost contact with laz and the boys. Ed Lock was an amazing guy who I never got to meet unfortunately.

Will post something on from mark to Smart on the other board Geoff as you suggest.
Jack (this is his board after all) do you remember wrestling Johhny Gray at all in Australia, and do you work out at all these days just to keep fit?

Thanks for your time Jack, and for the great memories you gave us Aussies when you wrestled there.

Cheers,

Mike

P.s: Crimson thanks for the info re Spiros Arion and for you great work in co-ordinating the boards.

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome, mate!
darwin boy
Member # 1857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darwin boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aussie Mike in DC .
If Laz is who I think it is ( a Jewish lawyer in Melbourne ) then I have met him .
Last contact I had with him he seemed to be fading from the wrestling scene , losing interest I'm afraid . Shame , nice bloke and very knowledgable .
I used to get Piledriver to , shame it stopped , apparently rising costs and time demands , plus wavering interest in the fans led to it's fall .

Jack Brisco
Administrator
Member # 1944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Brisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wonder ful:
You certainly did learn in a hurry. I can still recall the match you had with Billy Robinson in Brisbane was one of the greatest I've ever seen!
I wonder if you have any recollection of the angle where a young lady (the president of the Australian Jack Brisco fan club) presented you with a watch in appreciation, and later in the show, Lars Anderson and Dick Murdoch (from memory) came out and destroyed it. It's little things like that that stay with one far longer than the so-called 'important' things in life!

I hadn't thought about this in years until you brought it up. I vaguely remeber it and can't recall any of the details. It was Jim Barnett's idea.

I remember the match with Billy Robinson in Brisbane. He hurt my back and I missed three or four days of bookings. The ring there was a boxing ring and not a wrestling ring. The ring had a post right in the middle. Billy slammed me right in the middle of the ring on that post. The post didn't give but my back did. We went an hour broadway and he slammed me with about six or seven minutes to go. I barely made it through.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations