WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Wrestling FAQ » Never worked face (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Never worked face
Gerry K. Fabian
Member # 1452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerry K. Fabian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I from FL:
JJ rassled babyface. Gary Hart was always a heel, though.

Hart was the babyface in a feud against JJ Dillon in Amarillo around 1979.

Brute Bernard had a babyface run against Skandor Akbar in Amarillo.

Ed Wiskowski definitely had a babyface run against Buck Robley's crew in Central States.

--------------------
Notes from the Night Side of Nature. . .
www.deadlykingdom.com

IP: Logged
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just having a gander at the Johnny Valentine cards thread, these are a few names that ring the "heel for life" bell for me.

Baron Mikel Scicluna?

Smasher Sloan?

Tarzan Tyler?

Fuzzy Cupid? Sky Low Low? (Figured they'd fit on one line)

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler was a babyface when he was still being billed as Tarzan Tourville. For example...

May 10, 1960 - Stampede; Edmonton Gardens; Edmonton

Gene Kiniski vs. Jim Wright ... Luther Lindsay & Tarzan Tourville b. Gypsy Joe & Mighty Ursus ... Chief Kit Fox vs. Maurice LaPointe ... Alo Pago Pago vs. Don Kindred ... Joe Millich vs. George Grant ... Jackie Hammond vs. Terry Rainier -- women

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm late because I haven't read this until now...but Goliath & Gordman were faces vs Kinji Shibuya & Masa Saito...and they were the guys who threw Blassie the Brase Knucks in the Coliseum against Tolos. Both of them could go back & forth pretty easy.--Yohe
K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skorzeny:
How bout these who never worked face:
Lord Zoltan
Dr. Jerry Graham Sr.
Sailor White
Big K Stan Kowalski
Tiny Mills
Bulldog Don Kent
Ole Sanook ( Old heel Indian Wrestler, not sure if I spelled his last name right).

The first show I ever saw was in Mankato, Minnesota in 1968. It was one of Tiny Mills' last ring appearances. He definitely wrestled face that night -- both in his own match against Blackjack Daniels, and in the concluding battle royal.

--------------------
"It's the same all over: you fight for your life until death do you part -- and then you got it made." (Lester Young)

JSwags
Member # 15685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSwags     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clawmaster64:
Hmmm Gordman. There was an angle during the early 70s in Los Angeles where Gordman and Golaith broke apart. One of them was a face for a bit. But for the life of me I can't remember which one had the brief face run.

Breaking out Wrestling Title Histories for some help. There are listings of Gordman and John Tolos trading the Americas title back and forth in 1972. During the same frame, Golaith held the Americas tag straps with Kinji Shibuya. Perhaps this was the period when Gordman was a face. Need more evidence to be conclusive though.

Didn't Louis Tillet manage Gordman and Goliath as a face team around 1975 or so for a short run?
jimmy the riddle
Member # 23089

Icon 8 posted      Profile for jimmy the riddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really not sure but Joe, Boris and Dean Malenko

--------------------
Different Stokes For Different Folks.

I Can No Longer Obey. I Have Tasted Command,
And I Cannot Give It Up. -- Napoleon Bonaparte.

Salvador Dali-The Difference Between Me
And A Madman Is, I Am Not Mad.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nyet. Boris had at least one face run with CWF, and they were all faces in Sunbelt.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

oldtimer
Member # 29791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldtimer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're counting underneath boys seems Paul Kelly and his various masked personas would qualify. Gary Royal too, outside of the few matches with Kelly in JCP. Dusty Wolfe/Woods maybe? Ben Alexander?
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty Wolfe definetly worked both sides, same with Sky Low Low.

--------------------
follow me on twitter at: @mattfarmer93
www.defywrestling.com
http://mlwradio.com/

JWLPromoter from FL
Member # 3978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWLPromoter from FL   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy the riddle:

Dean Malenko was a babyface in his feuds with Eddie Guerrero in 1997 and with Chris Jericho in 1998 over the WCW World Cruiserweight Title and when the Horsemen reunited on the 9/14/98 Nitro.

--------------------
"BANG BANG!"

"Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it."- George Santayana

"...the strongest force in the world is a woman!"- Jimmy Hart

The George The Animal Steele Fan Page!

Your uncrowned IWA World Heavyweight Champion

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vivian Vachon was a face in Australia in 1970 (and what a face!) [Roll Eyes]
clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JWLPromoter from FL:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy the riddle:

Dean Malenko was a babyface in his feuds with Eddie Guerrero in 1997 and with Chris Jericho in 1998 over the WCW World Cruiserweight Title and when the Horsemen reunited on the 9/14/98 Nitro.
And Great Malenko turned face in Florida.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

Fan50
Member # 37400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fan50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard of Lenny Montana, one of the biggest heels in the Georgia area during the mid-60s, working face. I did see a match from Florida that he wrestled against the Great Malenko, but I don't think being the lesser disliked heel in a heel-vs-heel match to make one a face.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that matchup in person. Montana had turned face after he lost the Zebra Kid mask. Period.

--------------------

Fan50
Member # 37400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fan50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long did Montana's face turn last? In the Summer of 1963, he lost a loser leaves town match to Chief Little Eagle in Columbus, and a few weeks later the Malenko match was on the Florida TV program. A couple of weeks later he was back as a heel, wrestling in the group running oppostition to Fred Ward when he broke with the Atlanta group. He came back with bleached blond hair and was billed as "the new Lenny Montana" but he was still a heel.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Not long. He really didn't fit as a face. But it was a turn, the match wasn't a heel vs. heel with him being the face for that night one-off deal.

--------------------

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of 'Aussie' wrestlers who made it in US would possibly qualify - George Barnes and Lord Jonathan Boyd (yes, I know Boyd was actually from NZ...)
clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boyd worked face as Johnny Boyle for McGuirk in late 1970. Boyd also turned face near the end of his Portland run.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

nbvwes
Member # 57311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nbvwes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad News Allen
Nailz
Warlord
Ivan Koloff
Adnan Al-Kaissie
Wayne Farris
Steve Lombardi
Dewey Robertson aka Missing Link
Skandor Akbar
Dino Bravo
Bobby Heenan
Ed 'Strangler' Lewis

?

[ 12-02-2011, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: nbvwes ]

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nbvwes:
Bad News Allen
Nailz
Warlord
Ivan Koloff
Adnan Al-Kaissie
Wayne Farris
Steve Lombardi
Dewey Robertson aka Missing Link
Skandor Akbar
Dino Bravo
Bobby Heenan
Ed 'Strangler' Lewis

?

Lombardi was a face pre Bobby Heenan. Honky Tonk Man was a face when he first came to WWF. Bravo was a long-time face before turning heel at WWF.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Weren't all these already covered?

Bad News: turned babyface in Florida

Adnan: babyface originally as Adnan Kaissey, plus Billy White Wolf, plus I sorta imagine he was the babyface in Iraq

Dewey Robertson: ALWAYS (or almost always) a babyface

Ak: Face as Jim Wehba, face originally as Ak, plus many turns

Ed Lewis: really a tweener. Certainly the babyface vs. Shikat on the film.

--------------------

WickedNick1975
Member # 27146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedNick1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo was a face in Mid Atlantic in the late 1970s

And Lewis would have been a face as Lou's manager.

[ 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: WickedNick1975 ]

--------------------
James Otis (in Latin) - "If Heaven I cannot bend, than hell I will stir."

WickedNick1975
Member # 27146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedNick1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Uncle Ivan had a face run against Paul Jones in 1988 in JCP.

--------------------
James Otis (in Latin) - "If Heaven I cannot bend, than hell I will stir."

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I from FL:
Cripes:

Georgia 1/17/1978:...Bob Armstrong & Pak Song defeated Rock Hunter & Abdullah the Butcher in a main event no time limit match.

Guess the dreaded Pak Song Nam is off the list.

Song was also a babyface in Los Angeles.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this has been revived, does anyone recall Al Green working face? I know Don did, but I don't recall Al doing so.

How about Sam Bass?

fivefatcatsguy from the Twin Cities
Member # 6685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fivefatcatsguy from the Twin Cities     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nbvwes:
Nailz

?

Started his rookie year as a face as Kevin Kelly for Gagne (no Mr. Magnificent" yet.
Larry
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Buddy Wolfe (Les Wolff/Wolfe)?

[ 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Larry ]

--------------------
First they broke the mold...then they made me!

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Think I saw him babying in Hawaii. btw it's Les (aka 'Buddy') Wolff. Les Wolfe was a different guy.

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wolff was a babyface in the Carolinas early in his career.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Okay, are we sure that was him and not Wolfe though? Wolfe was a southern guy.

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Les Wolfe was not a wrestler. He was a promoter that was tied in with the Welch clan.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

No, he wrestled.

--------------------

Sli
Member # 128881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked through all the posts on both of these threads and didn't see these names, but sorry if they're there and I missed them.

Mr.X/Dangerous Danny Davis?

Moondog Spot?

[ 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Sli ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations