WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Virtual Wrestling » [WCFL] SAT - Portland Wrestling TV 003

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [WCFL] SAT - Portland Wrestling TV 003
Grape Ape
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grape Ape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is Saturday night ...

-

Time for ...

-

from the Portland Sports Arena
Portland Wrestling TV 003
Saturday, August 12th, 1997
with Don Coss

-
Don Coss

Don Coss opens the program from the Crow's Nest!

Don Coss: Welcome everyone to Portland Wrestling ... I'm your host Don Coss for 60 minutes of action-packed wrestling from the Portland Sports Arena coming to you on KOIN, Channel 6. Not exactly sure what's on tap for tonight but after last week's fireworks in the main event, I am sure it's going to be a doozy. Joining me now, the man behind Portland Wrestling ...

-
Sandy Barr

A cheer from the fans as Barr joins Don Coss in the Crow's Nest.

Don Coss: Sandy Barr, thank you for joining me tonight. I understand you have some announcements to make ... the floor is all yours.

Sandy Barr: Thank you, Don. Let's begin with the aftermath of last week's main event with the Grappler and Bart Sawyer in the ring following the match. For their part for putting their hands on officials ...

Don Coss: We're talking you and fellow referee, Matt Knowles ...

Sandy Barr: Correct. For their actions, they are both being fined $500. On top of that, I have this warning for both men ... next time, it is going to be doubled! I stand very firmly on this ... no one in my crew will be manhandled in any way AND if anyone does so, I don't care who they might be ... there will be fines and if that isn't enough, suspensions will be the next step.

Don Coss: Hitting them in their wallets ... I am sure is not going to sit well with either man.

Sandy Barr: They may not like it but if they want to wrestle here, they're going to obey the rules ... MY RULES!

Don Coss: Now, I understand, we have a huge card coming up ...

Sandy Barr: Yes we do, Don. August 31st, that is Thursday evening right here in the Portland Sports Arena, we are bringing the fans another Thursday Night LIVE. Appearing on that card, the newly crowned WCFL World Champion, Bret Hart as well as the International Champion.

Don Coss: WOW! That is big news! And their opponents?

Sandy Barr: Well, that is where today comes into play. Today's main event is an elimination style tag team match with "Bruiser" Brian Cox and Billy Two Eagles taking on the Grappler and Bart Sawyer ... assuming that the Grappler and Sawyer pay their fines. The winner of the match with face Bret Hart and the last man eliminated will take on the International Champion. In the case of neither man paying their fine, then tonight's match will be Brian Cox taking on Billy Two Eagles.

Don Coss: And the tickets?

Sandy Barr: Tickets go on sale today. I would suggest getting your tickets early because I have a feeling they are going to go like hot cakes. Portland Wrestling has a long tradition of bringing her fans the very best in professional wrestling and you better believe that will continue for many years to come.

Don Coss: You heard the man, get those tickets while you can and we will annouce those matches as soon as they are made. Thank you, Sandy. Right now, we have to take a break but we'll be right back for our first match of the evening!

x-x-x-x-x COMMERCIAL BREAK x-x-x-x-x

We return to Don Coss in the Crow's Nest.

Don Coss: If you are just joining us, you missed the announcement of the WCFL Heayweight World Champion Bret Hart is coming to Portland for Thursday Night LIVE. That's on Thursday, August 31st from right here in the Portland Sports Arena. Tickets go on sale today! Let's go to the ring for our first match of the evening!

Match #1: Yoshihiro Tajiri versus the Blue Meanie w/Don E. Richards
10 Minute Time Limit - Referee Matty Knowles

The Japanese wrestler in a blue robe paces the ring before the music starts ...

Oh-hoh-hoh-hoah
Oh-hoh-hoh-hoah
Oh-hoh-hoh-hoah
Oh-hoh-hoh-hoah

[Chorus:]
Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting
Those kids were fast as lightning
In fact, it was a little bit frightening
But they fought with expert timing

There were funky China men from funky Chinatown
They were chopping them up
They were chopping them down
It's an ancient Chinese art
And everybody knew their part
From a feinting, to a slip
And a kickin' from the hip

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting
In fact it was a little bit frightening
But they fought with expert timing

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong
He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on
We took the bow and made a stand
Started swaying with the hand
A sudden motion made me skip
Now we're into a brand new trip

But they did it with expert timing

Oh-hoh-hoh-hoh, ha
Oh-hoh-hoh-hoh, ha
Oh-hoh-hoh-hoh-ha
Keep on, keep on, keep on
Sure enough

Make sure you have expert timing
Kung Fu fighting, had to be fast as lightning...

It's the Blue Meanie in a white gi with a blue belt and a Hachimaki on his head being led to the ring by Richards, waving a Japanese flag.

Inside the ring, Richards runs around waving the flag as the Meanie eyeballs his opponent. Coming to the center of the ring, the two bow to each other before "Da Fat Guy" bows to the referee then to Don E. Richards who bows back, Meanie bows, Richards bows, Meanie bows. Richards steps closer to Tajiri and touchs the robe before the Japanese wrestler steps away. The bell rings and Meanie acts first, raising a leg in the air, ala the Karate Kid before trying to raise his leg higher in order to throw a halfassed kick. When that doesn't work, the old standby comes into play ... THE MEANIE DANCE!

Looking towards his opponent, the Meanie tries to get Tajiri to try his hand at it as well. He does it again to show how it is done before a wary Tajiri steps to the center of the ring and starts to dance.

The Blue Meanie with the Pearl Harbor with a kick that misses by a mile.Yoshihiro Tajiri shows how it is done with a solid spinning back kick that lands flush and down goes the big target. Several convulsions later and Tajiri drops down to make the cover for the 1! 2! 3!

Dropping the flag, Don E. Richards makes his way around the ring and grabs up Tajiri's blue robe before making a run for it. Seeing this, Tajiri gives chase. We get a close-up of the still down Blue Meanie before the coomercial break.

We return to find Don Coss with a smirking Bart Sawyer.

Don Coss: I have to ask, Bart, why the smirk?

Bart Sawyer: Don Coss, this is the look of a confident man who has been handed the world on a platter.

Don Coss: How so, Bart?

Bart Sawyer: For the price of $500, Sandy Barr has given me exactly what I've wanted. For that $500, not only did I throw that old man from the ring, I slapped his other referee BUT and let me tell you that but is big ... after my match tonight, I am being handed the WCFL Heavyweight Title on a platter.

Don Coss: I would hardly call that handing you the belt on a platter. Not only do you have to be the last man standing tonight in the elimination tag team match when you and the Grappler take on "Bruiser" Brian Cox and Billy Two Eagles ...

Bart Sawyer: Details, details ...

Don Coss: Assuming you do win, then you have to face the very accomplished World Champion, Bret Hart. That is not a given for anyone in this business against any member of the famed Hart Family.

Bart Sawyer: Say what you will, Coss. I'm going to show you and the rest of these idiots out here.

Sawyer is booed as he storms off. The booing does not subside as the members of High Voltage join Coss. Both members are carrying something in their hands.

Don Coss: I hope the two of you are not out here to give Rex King any more grief.

Kenny Kaos: We get it Don Coss. Rex King and the Southern Rockers are a thing of the past. We get it.

Don Coss: Wait a second, I never said that Rex King is a thing of the past and as you know full well, he ran the two of you off following what the two of you did to Adam Firestorm.

Robbie Rage: It's only a matter of time, Don Coss, only a matter of time before we run him off just like his little buddy Steve Doll headed for greener pastures and proved to be the smarter to the pair by refusing to me back to Portland. Have no fear though, we'll do our part of keeping the memory alive after we run him out of the territory ...

Both men hold up what they're holding ... a pair of t-shirts ... Southern Rocker t-shirts. They are booed as they put the shirts on.

Kenny Kaos: We'll keep the memory alive for you Rex King ...

There's a cheer but it isn't for High Voltage ... it's for Rex King as he joins Don Coss and High Voltage.

Rex King: I'm thinking the two of you are either hard of hearing ... OR ... you just aren't two of the sharpest knives in the drawer. You two like to talk but I'm not here to do that. You see, I prefer to do my talking inside the ring, so next week, I challenge either of you to a match right here on TV. Doesn't matter which one to me. Either of you will do.

Robbie Rage: YOU'RE ON!

Kenny Kaos: Whoa, whoa whoa ... hold on there a second. We'll gladly give you the match BUT you're going to do something for us. Top of the show, you heard about the Thursday Night LIVE show here at the Sports Arena ... our dance card's free, so what you're gonna do Rex King is simple ... you're gonna go out there and find yourself a partner and we're gonna show you and everyone else there why High Voltage is better than any second rate team like the Southern Rockers!

Rex King: YOU'RE ON!

Don Coss: We've got a match for next week as well as a tag team match for Thursday Night LIVE but right now, let's go to the ring!

Match #2: Buddy Wayne versus the "EYE-talian Stallion" Vinny Massaro
10 Minute Time Limit - Referee Matty Knowles

Decent match with the solid Wayne giving his opponent fits in the early going before a comeback by Massaro fueled by several shortcuts not caught by the referee, especially after battling to the outside of the ring.

Wayne with a sunset flip catches Massaro for the three count and the victory.

Don Coss: Portland veteran Buddy Wayne with the win and we'll be right back.

Don Coss has been joined in the Crow's Nest by the Grappler who is booed to high heaven.

Don Coss: Joining me right now, the Grappler.

The Grappler: Yeah, yeah, Coss. We've been through this before. They all know exactly who I am ... YOUR next World Heavyweight Champion.

Don Coss: And by that statement, it is safe to assume that you paid the $500 fine?

The Grappler: The quickest way to become the World Champion, Coss.

Don Coss: Your partner today, Bart Sawyer believes that he has this in the bag and thar he will be the one to move on to face Bret Hart. In a match where you have to face the likes of "Bruiser" Brian Cox and Billy Two Eagles and having a snake in the grass partner such as Bart Sawyer in your corner, I'd say you might be countung your chickens before they hatch.

The Grappler: Don Coss, you are not a very bright man. You see, it's like this ... of the four men in that ring, the Grappler's been around the longest. The Grappler's faced the stiffest competition and the Grappler has beaten some of the best in the business. When it's all on the line, the Grappler is hands down the man to beat! Not "Bruiser" Brian Cox, Not Billy Two Eagles and certainly not Bret Hart!

Don Coss: I wish you all the luck in the world ...

The Grappler: Luck has nothing to do with it!

Don Coss: Let's go to the ring!

Match #3: (Elimination Tag Team Match) "Bruiser" Brian Cox & Billy Two Eagles versus the Grappler and Bart Sawyer
TV Time Remaining - Referee Sandy Barr

Before the match, Cox and Two Eagles discuss things while Sawyer and the Grappler appear to argue.

We get all four men taking their turns and running the match, putting their opponent into danger several times. Bart Sawyer almost gets Billy Two Eagles but Cox is quick to get in and break it up. When Cox gets in a bind, it is Two Eagles with the helping hand. They even get in several double teaming opportunities to work over the Grappler and Sawyer. On the other side however, there is no working together.

The first elimination comes when the Grappler has Billy Two Eagles in trouble following a big vertical suplex but Sawyer tags himself in and gets the first pinfall.

1st Elimination: Billy Two Eagles pinned by Bart Sawyer

Match gets a different look with Brian Cox now taking on two men though still no cohesive work between the two which plays to Cox' advantage. Cox gets roughed up some but an argument between the Grappler and Sawyer give the champ all the time he needs to recover. The legal man in, the Grappler, is caught by surprise and rolled up by Cox to become the second casualty in the match.

2nd Elimination: The Grappler pinned by "Bruiser" Brian Cox

No help from Sawyer as he dropped off the ring apron to give some fans a piece of his mind. This seems to set the Grappler off more than actually being pinned by Cox. The Grappler confronts Sawyer outside the ring and the two look ready to come to blows after Sawyer says he didn't see the pinfall. Sandy Barr intervenes to get the match underway and leads the Grappler away while the smirking Bart Sawyer waves good-bye to his erstwhile partner.

Two down and two remaining with the fireworks beginning quickly as Brian Cox batters Bart Sawyer, hammering him with forearms. A big scoop slam but Sawyer quickly leaves the ring for a breather but Cox follows. Cox sends Sawyer smashing hard into the ring barrier before charging forward only to come crashing ito the barrier as Sawyer gets out of the way. Sawyer points to his head before going back to the attack. Leading Cox around the ring by a handful of hair, Bart Sawyer smashed him into everything and anything in his path.

Rolling back into the ring then back out after breaking the count, Sawyer continues to beat on Cox, yelling how easy this is. Back elbow shuts him up as Cox comes on and batters Sawyer before throwing him back into the ring.

A begging Sawyer catches Cox with a low blow and a facebuster before trying to pin him. Cox powers out as he has something left in the tank. An unbelieving Sawyer goes after Sandy Barr and reads him the riot act, claiming about a slow count. The veteran ref holds his ground and gives back just as good as he gets. Sawyer shoves him but Barr isn't having any of that and shoves Sawyer right back. A ballistic Sawyer throws a fit before turning right into the awaiting Brian Cox who has had the time to recover ... charging forward and leaping through the air and spearing him. Jumping back to his feet, Cox lets everyone know this is the end, running his thumb across his throat lifting Bart vertically in the air before dropping him on his head. Making the cover, both Cox and the fans count out Sandy Barr's mat slaps for the three count!

"Bruiser" Brian Cox has won the match and will now go on to face he WCFL World Heavyweight Champion, Bret Hart!

Don Coss: That's all for this episode of Portland Wrestling. Tune in next week for more wrestling from the House of Action ... because you just never know what you're going to see! Good night!

IP: Logged
OLD SCHOOL WRASSLIN'
Member # 18320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLD SCHOOL WRASSLIN'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cox and Sawyer continue their battle and, now, get a chance for a whole lot more on Thursday. High Voltage wearing Southern Rockers t-shirts was brilliant. May have to steal that one. LOL. Wayne has a chance to shine here. Falling more and more for this Portland version.

--------------------
APPALACHIAN STATE 31 TOLEDO 28
BACK-TO-BACK BOWL WINS
THE DOMINANCE CONTINUES

jp1985
Member # 113226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice kickoff to the show with Barr. Smart management to fine them and immediately give incentive to pay it off as fast as possible with their participation in the main event and a chance at a World Title shot at stake.

Nice opener with Meanie and Tajiri. Little details like the music and a blue belt really help to sell the segment that would fall completely flat on some shows without them. Don E. steals the blue robe too. Interested to see where that goes but it immediately stands out due to the color.

Sawyer's shining early on, and as mentioned by Old School, the High Voltage t-shirt bit was great. Did what it was meant to draw out King and get under his skin. I have an idea on who his partner could be, but it depends how long that was planned out as it could easily be something completely different.

Nice seeing Wayne pick up a win. He could be the #1 utility player to this territory as a go to for a good match on the mid card / under card. A feud with him and Sawyer at some point would yield some entertaining matches.

Elimination tag match was the highlight here so far for me. You built it up well and added real consequences to the result, only adding to the interest. The arguing between Sawyer and Grappler played nicely into the match and takes into account what they're really fighting for is an individual goal here as much as the tag win. Barr takes no !@#$ again and while Cox will be going on to Bret Hart, Sawyer looks to have problems with Barr in the future every bit as much as he does the shot at Hashimoto.

Looking forward to Thursday Night Live as the card has already shaped up nicely with another couple TVs to get there. Here's hoping Meanie & Don E. confuse Thursday Night Live with SNL and give us an opening monologue or a skit somewhere in there.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations