WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Virtual Wrestling » WCFL WWF Wrestlemania '97!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WCFL WWF Wrestlemania '97!
BRobb123
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRobb123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrestlemania
Madison Square Garden
New York City
4/2/97
Broadcast on Pay-Per-View
Announcers: Vince McMahon, Jim Ross & Paul E. Dangerously

Preshow (Broadcast on USA Network):
"No Gimmicks Needed" Chris Candido pinned "Mr. Monday Night" Rob Van Dam in 14 minutes following a top-rope brainbuster.
PPV:

A video package detailed the long-running feud between "Man of 1000 Holds" Dean Malenko and "Lionheart" Chris Jericho.

"Man of 1000 Holds" Dean Malenko forced "Lionheart" Chris Jericho to submit to a Texas cloverleaf in 22 minutes. The match was as fast paced as one would expect from these two, with each getting several near falls throughout the match. At one point, Jericho tried to use his rulebook as a weapon. Postmatch, Malenko would rip pages fromt it and throw them into the crowd.
Clips were shown from the last month, each featuring Scott Hall angering and embarassing Paul E. Dangerously until this match was made to "make it crystal clear who's in charge on Raw is War."

Scott Hall pinned "Beast from the East" Bam Bam Bigelow in 11 minutes after a bulldog headlock from the second turnbuckle. The former "Razor Ramon" looked good in his first match back, but Bigelow more than held his own also, nearly getting the win after Hall collapsed during a bodyslam attempt. Later on, the "Bad Guy" would successfully hit a fallaway slam on the big man to set up the finish.
"Diamond" Dallas Page was shown backstage taping up and getting reading for his shot at the WWF Heavyweight Title.
A video package detailing the long-running issues between "Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels and "Franchise" Shane Douglas going back a couple of years, was shown.

"Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels pinned "Franchise" Shane Douglas in 19 minutes. Cactus Jack was sent out to the ring by Paul E. Dangerously to help out Douglas, and did succeed in distracting HBK somewhat. Following a ref bump, he tried hitting HBK with a chair, but Michaels moved and he caught Douglas flush in the forehead. Michaels then superkicked the chair into Cactus and made the cover on a bloody "Franchise."
Footage was shown of how "Rocket" Owen Hart helped his brother win the WWF Heavyweight Title were shown, as well as clips from "Shotgun Saturday Night" were shown.

"Owen Hart, I may be a freak of nature," Big Red said backstage, "But you're just a dead man."

The Big Red Monster pinned "Rocket" Owen Hart in under a minute following a big boot and a tombstone piledriver. This was announced to the crowd as a new Wrestlemania record for shortest match. Postmatch, Big Red walked halfway up the ramp, then doubled back to the ring so he could deliver a second tombstone.

A worried Breat "Hitman" Hart was shown watching backstage on a monitor. Ross wondered if he'd be able to focus on his match later on.
Raven was shown backstage giving the Flock a pep talk backstage.

Street Fight
Raven & The Flock (Baldo & Puke) defeated Jerry "The King" Lawler & Evolution X (Triple H & Sean Waltman) in 21 minutes when Raven pinned Lawler following a DDT. Everything not bolted down (and some stuff that was) got used over the course of this match. Late in the match, as HHH and Waltman were battling the Flock near ringside, the were attacked by former WWF Tag Team Champions the Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) and laid out. Back in the ring, Raven hit Lawler with a chain, then delivered a DDT on a chair for the win.
A video package, narrated by both DDP and Hart was shown, detailing their very different backgrounds, and how they got to this point.

WWF Heavyweight Championship
"Diamond" Dallas Page pinned Bret "Hitman" Hart in 34 minutes after reversing a small package to win the title. The story of the match was Hart outwrestling DDP, but never being able to put him away completely. The champ doggedly worked over the challenger's left knee, using a figure-four leglock both in the ring and on the ringpost, a half-crab, and of course, the sharpshooter. DDP repeatedly tried, and failed, to hit the diamond cutter that could end the match instantly. Frustrated, Hart eventually removed the pad from a ringpost. However, he ended up the one who got catapulted into it, drawing blood. DDP used a superplex; Hart countered with a piledriver. In the end, DDP went for a firemen's carry diamond cutter, but his knee buckled, and Hart got a two-count off a crucifix. The champ immediately hooked an inside cradle, but DDP reversed and somehow got the three count.

DDP celebrated with the title as pyro went off and the show faded to black.

IP: Logged
Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great win for Malenko. Happy to see Michaels go over Douglas. Impressive win by Hall over Bigelow. Hate to see Owen get buried. The six man tag was fun to see Lawler go down in the loss. Very happy for DDP!
BRobb123
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRobb123   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I skipped ahead to Wrestlemania so I could try and get caught up.

Most of the stuff on the show are blow offs so I can get things in the direction I need them, but Owen might have gotten his head caved in, but it'll lead to a further storyline for him.

Who Was Pack
Member # 1756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Who Was Pack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would have been interested in a summary of the build up but appreciate the effort to catch up.

DDP is an interesting choice as WWF Champion.

The match quality on this show would have been exceptional.

jp1985
Member # 113226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were definitely some question marks here that a recap of the missing time might have helped solve - Cactus Jack not having a match on the show, Scott Hall being pushed as Razor Ramon in his return hype and here he's Hall, McMahon & Dangerously commentating side by side without any mention of how they got there from where they were - but all in all, I'd rather be reading a promotion in real time so I'm willing to take the occasional bump as a reader, even if the hottest time for wrestling of the year for any promotion.

DDP as WWF champion has its risks but it's something new and different so I'm interested to see what you can get out of him in the role. Once DDP was in the World Title picture in WCW in real life, the feuds were unfocused and the challengers were pretty tiresome, but here you have a pretty hearty roster that should be able to make him feel like more of a star. I am surprised by the finish of no Diamond Cutter the whole match.

Raven with a big win. Who would've thought Droz & Albert would be in the next to last match on Wrestlemania 3 months after their intro rookie draft? lol. Seems to be positioned well for a shot at DDP with that.

Owen losing in a minute would feel like a pretty big waste at a Wrestlemania, but it's also in part hindsight of knowing he only has a max of 2 left. Makes sense for Kane to get the win and hopefully Owen gets a good showing in the IC Title tournament as consolation as he always worked well with it.

Nice win for Michaels that keeps him in the picture. The Douglas stuff seems to be going nowhere here. Hopefully he can pick up the pieces in the annual post Wrestlemania reboot as the booking of him felt so focused under Pack, but very lost since by comparison. Cactus Jack can go two ways out of this, half hoping he gets paired with Douglas over the mistake just to give them both something to do that could be main event material. Cactus and HBK though is pretty appetizing.

Hall should work well here. Good choice of a Mania opponent in Bigelow to kickstart his return.

Malenko and Jericho would be pretty great opener, probably match of the night. It's been an entertaining feud on and off for a while now and you can definitely get more mileage out of them now that they've been showcased here.

Surprised to see talent like Candido and RVD relegated to the preshow on a 6 match show but it just speaks to the level of talent here I guess.

OLD SCHOOL WRASSLIN'
Member # 18320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OLD SCHOOL WRASSLIN'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to DDP and his run as WWF champ should be interesting. Love Lawler and Raven going at it. Jericho and Malenko would have been the best match to me although Candido's top rope brainbuster would have has me out of my chair.

--------------------
APPALACHIAN STATE 31 TOLEDO 28
BACK-TO-BACK BOWL WINS
THE DOMINANCE CONTINUES

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really surprised by this show. The matches here would have been off the charts, especially for my tastes. DDP is fine in this role and I wonder if it leads to a DDP-SCSA 'dream match' at some point.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

SFiedler1
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFiedler1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother continuing to write when you skip huge gaping holes of continuity and information? The lack of build or information mixed with the short catch up writing style also hurt this for a 'Mania' feel for me as just a reader.

I'm not in this fantasy writing league so please take my feelings as a reader any way you'd like but I was under the impression skipping around was a no no.

A fun, but short read at the end of the day it just felt flat without any effort of back story telling.

Who Was Pack
Member # 1756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Who Was Pack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SFiedler1:
Why bother continuing to write when you skip huge gaping holes of continuity and information? The lack of build or information mixed with the short catch up writing style also hurt this for a 'Mania' feel for me as just a reader.

I'm not in this fantasy writing league so please take my feelings as a reader any way you'd like but I was under the impression skipping around was a no no.

A fun, but short read at the end of the day it just felt flat without any effort of back story telling.

Sometimes real life takes over and you fall behind and you're faced with a choice - try to catch back up naturally (which is very tough), fast forward, or quit.

I'm fine with the fast forwarding - I would have liked to see maybe some video packages thrown in to bring the reader up to speed on how we built up to the matches, but if he didn't fast forward and just resigned the promotion, someone else takes it over and you lose talent and you have an even more jarring move forward.

BRobb123
Member # 5653

"Why bother continuing" and "without any effort." I'm kind of honored that my fast-forward inspired your first post in... let's see, a decade!

Perhaps my stuff isn't for you.

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked what we got here - quite short but an effective use of the star talent with a creative and unoredictable spin adding to the results.

I get the opposing views on the build we expect - I can enjoy the twistry turny prologues and can like the "stand-alone" feel as well. The recap suggestion might have been an idea but as Pack stated, real life and a zillion other factors make variety of schedules and styles a reality.

Interested to see how the changes here get parlayed in the coming while.

--------------------
Michael Moriarty as Henry Wiggen in, "Bang the Drum Slowly" (1973)

"From here on in, I rag nobody"

jp1985
Member # 113226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, only speaking for me since this other guy seems to have stronger opinions on it lol, I would think the time to fast forward would be in a month. Me personally, as long as I would be doing shows weekly now, might as well do the 4 leading into Wrestlemania to give it the optimal big show feel that's missing here, and then eventually fast forward over the usually dull and boring period that comes after when I get there.

Like I said though with regards to this, I'd also rather read a promotion in real time to take in what's going on in relativity to other promotions, so there are pluses and minuses to any approach of catching up. I'm guessing part of it is also taking over a new roster and not feeling connected to what was going on to your own ideas, and post Wrestlemania is traditionally the reset that more allows for that.

Commish
Member # 4677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Commish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first post on WC in many years too so take it for what it's worth!

I never think it's fair to lambast someone who gets behind posting shows. I think jp1985's post was fair enough, but at the end of the day, none of the writers do this for a living.

To tell someone it's not even worth continuing when they manage to get behind on a fantasy wres card is just a waste of energy. It's fantasy wrestling, for goodness sake. People do it for fun, they're under no obligation to work on your schedule just because you happen to be reading. Actual life trumps fantasy wres.

This was a fun show, and I think you can fill in any gaps in the weeks after Mania. I guess this was Douglas's swan song? It would make sense because he rightfully would probably wouldn't rank ahead of the Harts in the heel pecking order.

[ 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Commish ]

--------------------
I don't agree with that in the workplace.
-David Brent (as Eric Hitchmo)

jp1985
Member # 113226

My post? I was more trying to leave feedback on how I would have handled catching up and the missing time because I felt it did create a knowledge gap on some of what went on here. At least that's what I was trying to say. I actually don't really mind what he did, just thought it was something he could have went another way on to get more out of it. I apologize to BRobb123 if it came off as blasting him for missing a few weeks due to real life obligations.
Commish
Member # 4677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Commish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1985:
My post? I was more trying to leave feedback on how I would have handled catching up and the missing time because I felt it did create a knowledge gap on some of what went on here. At least that's what I was trying to say. I actually don't really mind what he did, just thought it was something he could have went another way on to get more out of it. I apologize to BRobb123 if it came off as blasting him for missing a few weeks due to real life obligations.

No no, not yours. I was referring to the person who questioned why BRobb would even continue. IMO, that was uncalled for.

[ 04-23-2017, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Commish ]

--------------------
I don't agree with that in the workplace.
-David Brent (as Eric Hitchmo)

jp1985
Member # 113226

Oh yeah. I don't disagree with that.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations