WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » VIEW: Jim Browning (Recognized as Champion) vs Sammy Stein in Los Angeles, CA in 1933

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VIEW: Jim Browning (Recognized as Champion) vs Sammy Stein in Los Angeles, CA in 1933
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Footage is watermark-impaired and only one fall is shown.

During the period in the early 1930s when there were rival world's heavyweight championship-claimants, Jim Browning was recognized for a time in Los Angeles at the titleholder. These excerpts are of a match he had against Sammy Stein. There isn't much wrestling but Gus Sonnenberg, who was top box-office in Los Angeles at roughly that time, had popularized tackles and dives instead of mat work (he only knew about six holds).

The date is uncertain and the Sherman Grinberg archives, which holds this Paramount Pictures newsreel, uses the default date of January 1, 1933. (Corrected: Stein is listed as the guy in the white trunks. Browning, a former football player, died in 1936) I assume this was a two-of-three-falls match since Stein wins the only fall shown:

Footage courtesy of the late Sherman Grinberg and the successor owners of his archives. You can always purchase a copy from them, in which case the watermark will be removed from the DVD you receive.

Ken

[ 07-11-2019, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken

It's actually Sammy Stein in the white trunks, mate.

Stein is the wrestler launching all the flying tackles.

Jim Browning is attempting to catch his challenger in the airplane scissors (aka the pinwheel leg scissors aka the turnover leg scissors aka probably other terms).

Cheers champion!

Ed

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ed,

Thanks for the correction; I've noted it in the original post. I might have thought Stein was the watermark, but his initials aren't "SG." The lighting for the filming is very dim, as is the film.

Ken

[ 05-13-2019, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the way people talk today, it seems Browning was a pure wrestler. From the newspaper & in that clip, it seems as champion he was a major seller, who would let the opposition control the match, only to make a mistake & get pined by the champion at the moment. The matches seemed good, because his good work got the loser over. Browning seemed to be a working class performer, who did what office asked. After losing the title, he put over all the new champions & stars....just like he was told. He was trusted and didn't have the ego of a Londos, Lewis, Stecher, etc. He died very early. Good clip. Has to be one of the first two falls.

*) NOV. 9, 1933—OLYMPIC AUDITORIUM (ATT: 6,500)
(WORLD TITLE)
1) JIM BROWNING OVER SAMMY STEIN 2/3 FALLS
2) NICK LUTZE DREW DR. FRED MEYERS
3) RUDT SKARDA OVER JACK MANUEL
4) STEVE ZNOSKY OVER TINY ROEBUCK
5) SCOTTY DAWKINS OVER JIM CORRIGAN
6) CASEY COLUMBO OVER PAT O’HARA

[ 05-17-2019, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Sammy Stein, although he apparently never played collegiate football, became a professional player for various NFL teams in the very late 1920s on, before becoming a professional wrestler.

He also worked in some 60 Hollywood movies, mostly as an unbilled minor parts, particularly during World War II, when I assume, given he was at least 36 years old by then, was not drafted.

He appeared in films with both The Three Stooges and Abbott and Costello, but mostly in dramatic roles, including in an Errol Flynn movie as a boxer, a still-photo of which is here, and where Stein is on the left:

-

Here is a Three Stooges fan's tribute to Stein, and be aware that there are a number of places in the footage where it appears the show is over, but it merely is repeating titles, so stay with it. It isn't difficult to figure out which fellow is purportedly Stein, in a suit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NsIz8cyv4

Ken

[ 05-17-2019, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken

Thanks very much for posting the photo of Sammy Stein and Errol Flynn.

The movie that you mention is "Gentleman Jim", the 1942 film starring Flynn as boxer Jim Corbett.

Stein played the uncredited role of boxer "Chrysanthemum" Joe Choynski, "The California Terror", who fought fighters the calibre of Corbett, Jack Johnson, Bob Fitzsimmons, James J. Jeffries and Marvin Hart before they won world titles.

I love the movie but I'm an Errol Flynn mark. [Smile]

Cheers!

Ed

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real Choynski and Corbett

-

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great movie, & Lewis had a major speaking part.--Yohe
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Among the unbilled wrestlers who were in the movie are Wee Willie Davis, Mike Mazurki and Tor Johnson. Strangler Lewis, who, although he did not received a screen credit, played "Hoghead." He also was the "boxing double" for actor Bond.

At least one then-famous boxer (the film was released in 1942 appeared in the film, former world's middleweight champion Freddie Steele.

Here's another publicity-still-photo of Stein and Flynn:

-

Ken

[ 07-11-2019, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Member # 76599

Thanks very much to Crimson Mask and Ken Viewer for posting the images of the real Joe Choynski and Jim Corbett, and Sammy Stein and Errol Flynn, repectively.

Freddie Steele, mentioned above by Ken, had an uncredited role in the "Gentleman Jim" film as a referee.

Steele also served as a boxing double for Flynn in the movie, in particular being featured for below the waist shots of his footwork.

Cheers!

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

VIEW: Out-Takes from a 1932 Newsreel of "Gentleman" Jim Corbett, Jimmy McLarnin, Al Weil, "Pop" Foster, Denny McMahon & Elderly Actors; 1932; 6 Minutes of Footage.

Corbett is the first and tallest guy in the footage and the referee. Does anyone know who the elderly gent who wants to box is? Corbett died the year after this was filmed. It was a promo for the Actor's Fund, which was a favorite charity of Daniel Frohman, who co-founded what became Paramount Pictures.

No footage I can find at this time of Joe Choynski.

Click and watch out for the elderly guy once he puts the gloves on:

Click here.

Ken

[ 05-18-2019, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Jtmcgee
Member # 125720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jtmcgee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the left is Richard Boone- "Have Gun-Will Travel"
diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jtmcgee:
On the left is Richard Boone- "Have Gun-Will Travel"

Hardly. Boone was born in 1917 and Gentleman Jim was released in 1942. The person you're referring to is much older that mid 20s. Boone's first acting roles were television parts in 1949. He didn't make his feature film debut until 1951.
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

I loved the film. Factual in some ways.--Yohe
Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gidday Captain Ed,

I had always heard/read that the boxing footwork filmed waist down for Flynn was of light heavyweight champion Billy Conn. your claim re Steele does more sense though.seeing he was actually on set.

I’m Not sure if Conn himself made the claim in interviews but will check my archives.

I’ve often used this anecdote in various talks I’ve given so thanks for bringing it up mate. Good to be as accurate as possible.

And by the way Ed, neither Conn or Steele matched your nimble footwork dancing up to the bar every 10 minutes or so last time we shared a 🍻🍻a year or 2 ago 😉.

Cheers mate and thanks Ken for the great post,

Aussie Mike in Dc ( London right now !!)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations