WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » The Sheik's Fireball Exposed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Sheik's Fireball Exposed
First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this Olympic Auditorium program from Friday, May 9, 1969 The Sheik's fireball was exposed as atomic powered and matchmaker Jules Strongbow said he was going to get the Atomic Enegry Commission to investigate. The things they would have us wrestling fans believe.

Commercial Photography

[ 03-14-2019, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: First Row Al ]

IP: Logged
diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Walton wrote these didn't he? He or whoever did was as bad as Bob Luce of Chicago or Apter when it came to the outrageousness of their writing.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least Jerry Prater was funny...

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Walton took over the publicity and the programs for the Olympic around March/April 1969 so I'm sure this piece came from his imagination. Before Walton, Jack Disney handled the publicity and the programs. Disney was a sports writer for the old L.A. Herald Examiner which was on strike so I guess Disney started working for the Olympic. I guess the strike ended and Disney went back to the newspaper around that time. I'm guessing.
First Row Al
Member # 127224

PS - The stuff that was put into the Olympic programs were laughable. My friend Jerry and I would read it and start laughing.

The majority of the wrestling fans there weren't too smart. If you told them that the Atomic Energy Commission was investigating the Sheik's fireballs 90% of them would believe it. If it was printed in the program then it must be true!

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the place as old people & Mexicans. Kind of like the Street I live on.--Yohe

[ 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

First Row Al
Member # 127224

What I want to know is how did The Sheik invent a nuclear reactor small enough to fit in his trunks and was able to disguise to look like a nail.
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked Jeff about it. He seemed upset & said it wasn't him & it was stupid....& I shouldn't believe what I read at the site. I sent him the program.

I think 1969 was too early.

He said Strongbow had health problems & that's the reason for leaving the company.--Steve Yohe

K. Fabian McClinch
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K. Fabian McClinch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First Row Al:
What I want to know is how did The Sheik invent a nuclear reactor small enough to fit in his trunks and was able to disguise to look like a nail.

Nah, it was hidden in those pointy shoes . . .

--------------------
"Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four shots ripped into my groin, and I was off on one of the strangest adventures of my life." (Max Shulman)

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Jeff thinks it was Jack Disney who wrote it, before he went back working at the Herald.--Yohe
CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Disney or Walt Disney?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations