WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » PHOTOS: Ray Fabiani Circa 1970; As An Opera Impresario

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PHOTOS: Ray Fabiani Circa 1970; As An Opera Impresario
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aurelio (Ray) Fabiani (1889-1973) started his American promotional career apparently as a manager of classical-music talent around 1915-1920, and in short order became a hustler who charged clients for gigs that did not yet -- or never -- existed.

Soon, he found a more honest career as a wrestling promoter. (Let the rassling historians fill in the details.)

Fairly late in his life he switched to full-time opera management, helping to found the Philadelphia Lyric Opera and becoming the American-engagements manager for tenor Franco Corelli, who at the time was the opera-world equivalent of Jim Londos in Londos's glory years.

The photo below was taken in 1970 or soon after at an early meeting of a still-existing opera-service non-profit organization called Opera America.

While it appears some fans gambled on the outcomes of wrestling matches into the 1960s (yes, I'm surprised), you could, if you wanted, bet on whether singer Corelli would show up for his announced leading-man opera engagements (he had developed some form of claustrophobia). Corelli dumped Fabiani in favor of international culture-world impresario Sandor Gorlinsky (Gorlinsky ran his own hustle by booking Corelli into gigs that Corelli would never appear at, but that's a story I'll save for Steve Johnson's long-awaited biography of Londos (which is only 30 years overdue) if he wants it, though it has nothing to do with wrestling.

Fabiani, who was in his eighties at the time, is second-from-the-left:

http://seattleopera50.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GR-OperaAm-1-LT.jpg

Fabiani as a slightly younger man circa 1915-1920 in the U.S.:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/35933303551

I think he's wearing the same tie in both photos.

Ken

[ 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
Steve Johnson
Member # 6361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Johnson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm piecing together Faby's career. He's a book in and of himself. Thanks Ken.
IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations