WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Stop Everything....Is THIS Richard Lane, THE Dick Lane of LA wrestling?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stop Everything....Is THIS Richard Lane, THE Dick Lane of LA wrestling?
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Wikipedia because one of my results listed a boxer by the name of Dick Lane, who had an iron jaw. I don't know if it's the same Dick Lane as the announcer of LA wrestling but then I actually read his Wiki page. Is THIS the same Dick Lane?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0485518/

I have owned these Boston Blackie movies on DVD for almost a decade now and I have never EVER correlated the two together. They do share the same name and similar sounding voice but again I never really linked the two together. I honestly loved Richard Lane in the Blackie movies and wondered whatever became of him as an actor but never decided to see until today.

My brain will literally leave my body if they are the same person.

--------------------
"Although Candide himself recognizes that it is absurd to do so, he dwells on the condition of man." - Voltaire

IP: Logged
First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same Dick Lane. He was an character actor before becoming a wrestling announcer. He was one of the pioneers on KTLA-5 back in the late 40's doing commercials, variety shows and news. He later become the famous wrestling announcer with his historic interviews.

I got to know him pretty well during the late 60's when we went to wrestling at the Olympic in L.A. He told me his proudest role in films was when he played the Montreal manager in the 1950 original Jackie Robinson Story where Robinson played himself.

First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Lane also did roller games and demolition derby and the figure 8 races. He announced the T-Birds roller games on Tuesday nights from the Olympic, wrestling on Wednesday nights from the Olympic and demolition derby and the figure 8 races on Sunday afternoon from Ascot Park in Gardena. He moved to KCOP-13 TV when wrestling from the Olympic moved to Saturdays from the KCOP-13 studios. Wednesday wrestling moved to a Spanish UHF station after KTLA cancelled wrestling.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First Row Al:
It's the same Dick Lane. He was an character actor before becoming a wrestling announcer. He was one of the pioneers on KTLA-5 back in the late 40's doing commercials, variety shows and news. He later become the famous wrestling announcer with his historic interviews.

I got to know him pretty well during the late 60's when we went to wrestling at the Olympic in L.A. He told me his proudest role in films was when he played the Montreal manager in the 1950 original Jackie Robinson Story where Robinson played himself.

Https://tenor.com/xxTk.gif

--------------------
"Although Candide himself recognizes that it is absurd to do so, he dwells on the condition of man." - Voltaire

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was a well know character actor in films. Type cast mostly as managers, newspaper editors, and cops.--Yohe
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Yohe:
He was a well know character actor in films. Type cast mostly as managers, newspaper editors, and cops.--Yohe

This jogged my memory on what made me wonder about him. I was watching the Olsen and Johnson movie Hellzapoppin the other day and he plays a director in it. Hilarious movie. My brain is still fried comprehending these two are the same person. I'm a huge Boston Blackie radio show mark and had the DVD's for so long but loved him as Farraday in that series. I don't think he played the radio role though, I'll have to look. I know Chester Morris only did it for one season.

Edit: Wikipedia does say he did reprise his role in the 30 minute radio series as well. Looks like he left when Morris did too.

[ 01-11-2019, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

--------------------

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Another movie I liked him in albeit in a small role was Boom Town with Gable, Tracy and Morgan. Could seriously look at his filmography and probably pick a dozen movies I've seen and liked him in.

--------------------

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen Hellzapoppin in 60 years. As a kid it made an impression. I keep waiting for it to show up on Turner.--Yohe

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations