WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Ray Morgan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ray Morgan
legace
Member # 123013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember when Ray Morgan took over the commentary on CWC Wrestling From Capital Arena? I believe the show began in 1956 and THINK he might have started in 58 but am not 100% on that.
IP: Logged
doug
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could I forget! I grew up in the Washington DC area and used to see wrestling on TV every Thursday night - except for the "dark" matches (non-televised main events).
Ray Morgan did an excellent job describing the ring action, making it seem more believable AND conducting interviews that were often the most exciting part of the show. Ray played it straight and exuded credibility. I think he played a big role in the early success of Capitol Wrestling and the WWWF.
Does anyone know what happened to Ray after he left TV wrestling?
Think of the great book he could've written about the inside story of pro wrestling!

JJ Bklyn42
Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ Bklyn42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started paying attention in '58, and Morgan was already there, so 1958 has to be his latest start date.

--------------------
"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives" - Jack Roosevelt Robinson

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou

legace
Member # 123013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doug:
How could I forget! I grew up in the Washington DC area and used to see wrestling on TV every Thursday night - except for the "dark" matches (non-televised main events).
Ray Morgan did an excellent job describing the ring action, making it seem more believable AND conducting interviews that were often the most exciting part of the show. Ray played it straight and exuded credibility. I think he played a big role in the early success of Capitol Wrestling and the WWWF.
Does anyone know what happened to Ray after he left TV wrestling?
Think of the great book he could've written about the inside story of pro wrestling!

That's a good question actually, I've no idea if he even stayed in the business after leaving the WWWF.
legace
Member # 123013

quote:
Originally posted by JJ Bklyn42:
I started paying attention in '58, and Morgan was already there, so 1958 has to be his latest start date.

There's defo footage of him on Capitol TV from 1958 floating around so he was there from at least then like you say.
MuscleMan
Member # 64375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MuscleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be an off the wall question. Is Roberta Morgan his daughter? She was the author of the 1979 book Main Event.
Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some years ago, I read an obituary for Mr. Morgan in The Washington Post. It mentioned that he had also been a broadcaster on WTOP radio (I believe that Arthur Godfrey was too at one point).

When something dramatic happened in the ring, Morgan would yell "Good Night!" But otherwise as Doug said, he was quite straight in his annoucing and interviews.

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MuscleMan:
This might be an off the wall question. Is Roberta Morgan his daughter? She was the author of the 1979 book Main Event.

I want to say no, but it's an interesting theory. My buddy had the book as a kid, was pretty much a book of pictures. She was featured on one of the telecasts when the book was released. Pretty sure Vince interviewed her and she was pretty nondescript. Mind you this is a fleeting 35+ year memory, but I don't remember anything about her having any ties to the industry prior other than being a fan, and I want to say she wasn't much of a fan either, just a passing fancy.

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked George Napolitano and he mentioned she was a fan and wanted to write a book. He helped her with it.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations