WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » What happened to the George Hackenschmidt v Joe Rogers film found in New Zealand?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened to the George Hackenschmidt v Joe Rogers film found in New Zealand?
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago, this was a major find in New Zealand (could even be all 2,300 feet of film W.W. Wittig had a lab print for distribution).

But the New Zealand folks couldn't fund a conversion/restoration and digital transfer of the silver nitrate film it was on and were trying to get a United Kingdom archive to take on the project.

And that was the last I heard of it.

Have there been any developments and perhaps a digital version out there?

Thanks.

Ken

[ 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which film library holds this footage?

I'm back living in New Zealand so I could get in touch with them.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's all I know about the film:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003470#000017

AND

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=004412#000000

Wittig would typically film the entire match and then package two segments: a one-reel approximately 15-minute show at 16 frames-per-second and a separate 1300-foot (perhaps two reels) segment which included the smaller 15-minute film.

He may have made more money outside the U.S. because Europe, for instance, was way ahead of the U.S. in transitioning from "nickelodeons" to traditional stage-theater designs. The first real movie theater in New York City's Bronx County was built circa 1906 by the Bolte family, a member of which I knew back before paved roads...

To my knowledge, all of the Bolte theaters are closed now as neighborhoods changed and the Bronx became the Eastern version of Fort Apache.

Ken

[ 04-21-2017, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Film-still of the February, 1908, match between Hackenschmidt and Rogers.

Ken

[ 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations