WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » King Kong Czaya & Tiger Jokinder vs Rikidozan & Harold Sakata; 1955; Asian tag-title

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: King Kong Czaya & Tiger Jokinder vs Rikidozan & Harold Sakata; 1955; Asian tag-title
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King Kong Czaya & Tiger Jokinder vs Rikidozan & Harold Sakata on November 19, 1955 for the All-Asian Tag Title -- as listed by Joe Opielia. This might be qualified as a five-man bout as the referee gets quite involved in the action.

Low-resolution upload from Youtube courtesy of Joe, whose site will often sell you higher-resolution versions of many of the excerpts of the match-clips he posts. I'm no fan of that policy, but I certainly appreciate his posting of this clip.

Ken

[ 06-24-2015, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken,

Interesting footage, mate. Thank you for posting.

I assume that Tiger Jokinder is actually Tiger Joginder Singh. Perhaps an error was made in the translation between English and Japanese.

Joginder wrestled in Australia in 1950 and 1952 against the likes of Chief Little Wolf, Jack Claybourne, Jesse James, Dutch Hefner, Leo Jensen, Francois Valois, Flash Gordon, Felix Miquet and Bob McCune.

A small head shot photo of Joginder Singh in the Aussie newspapers of the day appears, to me, to match Tiger Jokinder from the footage.

Cheers!

Ed

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ref - Wow!
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ed,

Glad you enjoyed the clip and I appreciate the information you posted.

Ken

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez Czaya is flopping all over the place for Riki.

If that video was released by the Samurai Network it should be readily available among the DVD traders.

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Joe has a reputation for purchasing unusual, one-of-a-kind 16MM films and film cuts of Golden Age wrestling and then salvaging them for DVD conversion. He has the necessary equipment to do the conversions. I'd be surprised if this footage has already been circulating among DVD traders. Certainly by posting the footage on Youtube, it'll be on the Tape Traders' lists shortly. But who knows?

Ken

[ 06-22-2015, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the corner of the screen is Samurai Networks symbol, which to me would mean they've aired it before. Almost all of the Japanese footage would be owned by NTV, Nippon TV or TBS all of which are still in business.

Samurai Network made a deal to re-broadcast many of the old JWP matches and this appears to be one of them.

JOpiela
Member # 10369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOpiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Viewer:
Joe has a reputation for purchasing unusual, one-of-a-kind 16MM films and film cuts of Golden Age wrestling and then salvaging them for DVD conversion. He has the necessary equipment to do the conversions. I'd be surprised if this footage has already been circulating among DVD traders. Certainly by posting the footage on Youtube, it'll be on the Tape Traders' lists shortly. But who knows?

Ken

Hi Ken,

This match isn't available on the DVD's that I sell. It isn't a film I own and transferred, I just add a link to my site on all the uploads. If it is one I own, I add a note if that particular match is available on DVD. The last one I transferred is the Dropkick Murphy match, although there are a couple more I have to do. The Japan matches came from a collector in Japan that I traded for some of my DVD's. I'm not sure where he got the matches from but they are most likely available in the trading market already.

PS. Don't be too mad at me about the "low resolution" post of the films I do own. The secret is that unless I went back and ripped all the files off the DVD's, I don't actually have any of the corrected and enhanced files. I only keep the original transfers to save space. That way if I get new software that works better, I can always work with the raw transfers. When I uploaded them I just used the files I had available at hand.

Joe

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Joe Opielia posted:

"...The last one I transferred is the Dropkick Murphy match..."

I'd have linked to that four-man non-tag-team bout in a minute if I could have made out the wrestlers' faces. The version you chose to post came across on my computer as just too washed out. We can decide who's who if you decide for yourself.

This is Dr. John Dropkick Murphy & Nick Lutze as a non-tag-team vs LaVerne Baxter & Hardboiled Haggerty, circa late 1930s (before real tag-teams caught on, and probably held in Los Angeles County, California:

I believe you're the only active tape/DVD trader who gets this amount of coverage here and that's because of the footage you come up with, and because of the kindness of the WCMB administrators in letting me post various ones.

To my knowledge, Raging Bull and Golden Age 2008 are not now tape/DVD traders. And I've never sold a wrestling (or other) tape or DVD or film.

Ken

[ 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
In the corner of the screen is Samurai Networks symbol, which to me would mean they've aired it before. Almost all of the Japanese footage would be owned by NTV, Nippon TV or TBS all of which are still in business.

Samurai Network made a deal to re-broadcast many of the old JWP matches and this appears to be one of them.

Thanks for the information, Matt.

Ken

JOpiela
Member # 10369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOpiela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ken,

I truly appreciate that you post links to my uploads and have mentioned my DVD's. I also appreciate that Mark and Mask have never deleted them. But this hobby is certainly no money maker. The DVD sales and Youtube ads this year haven't covered the costs of the films I found. There were two short films on Ebay and three 10 minute films that I had shipped in from England. The Murphy match was one and the other two films from England turned out to be the same women's match, one of which has started to deteriorate. That's the fun of film collecting. I did a quick clean and transfer of the Murphy match so I could post a film that had never been seen before. I have about another hour of hand cleaning and transferring before I'll run it through the software to clean it up for the next DVD. That will probably be in the Fall because it's already to hot to work upstairs in the old farmhouse without AC. If things continue at their brisk pace, I'll have the transfer projector paid off in another 3 years. That is if I don't find more films which I certainly hope won't be the case. Anything I make just ends up going to more films that will end up being shared. I wish I had unlimited funds because there were some great films that I couldn't afford and they've never seen the light of day since.

Joe

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

You once found a clip of the two Stecher brothers working out or whatever and asked us not to bid against you in the auction. I wouldn't have bid anyway because I don't have the conversion equipment for 16 MM to digital, but I did offer to throw in some money so as to allow you to raise your bid, which you declined or the auction ended before the offer.

Of course with me, I'll buy digital footage for viewing purposes only and for sharing with my friends and don't want to get involved in any way in Tape/DVD trading.

Our own buying consortium here has spent much more money on a single match than the winning bid for the Stecher film.

Just a recollection...

Ken

[ 06-23-2015, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

JOpiela
Member # 10369

Never asked you not to bid on the Stecher clip. You had mentioned after the auction was over that you should have put some money up to help get it. You were working on that nitrate film of Lewis/Zbyszko that dead ended. I've also spent quite a bit more on a match than what the Stecher film sold for. I also would have spent more on it if it were longer than a 3 minute training clip, I just have to pick and choose my targets. Of course with me, I prefer film that I can watch on a big screen, transfer and share with anyone whose interested.

Joe

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Joe posted:

"...You had mentioned after the auction was over that you should have put some money up to help get it..."

Right you are. And I should have put some money up for the Stechers film.

Ken

[ 06-23-2015, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

JOpiela
Member # 10369

If you're ever in the Buffalo area, I'll do an outside projection on our barn for you. You'll switch to film instead of digital.

Joe

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photo of Tiger Joginder Singh from the time period:

-

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations