WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » FILM: Dr. Jerry Graham vs Chief Big Heart in Australia in 1956; famed rope-hang move

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FILM: Dr. Jerry Graham vs Chief Big Heart in Australia in 1956; famed rope-hang move
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American heel king Dr. Jerry Graham vs Chief Big Heart at Sydney Stadium in Australia in 1956.

Both in their Sunday best, the match ends with the famed 'Buddy Rogers rope self-hanging 360-degree flip' move.

RTT August 30, 1956. (The following year, Graham and Antonino Rocca would incite the legendary Madison Square Garden riot.)

Ken

Click here. Preview footage courtesy of T-3 Licensing.

[ 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken

Thanks very much for posting the footage of Dr Jerry Graham vs Chief Big Heart in Sydney in 1956.

I believe that this match featuring Dr Jerry Graham and Chief Big Heart took place on Thursday 23 August 1956 at Sydney Stadium. There was a series of bouts between Graham and Big Heart at both Sydney Stadium and Leichhardt Stadium in 1956.

An article in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper on Thursday 23 August 1956 stated:

"Texas Rules In Wrestling"

"Dr Jerry Graham will meet Chief Big Heart under Texas Rules in the main wrestling bout at Sydney Stadium tonight."

"There will be no time limit and the best of five falls will determine the winner."

The result was reported in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper the next day as follows:

"Graham Wins Wrestle"

"Chief Big Heart (17 stone) lost to Dr Jerry Graham (17 stone and 1 pound) after each gained two falls at Sydney Stadium last night."

"Big Heart could not continue after 32 and a half minutes of the bout, which they wrestled under Texas Rules – the best of five falls."

"Graham got the first fall in 8 minutes and Big Heart equalized in 20 minutes."

"Then Graham secured his second fall in 23 minutes and Big Heart equalized in 26 minutes."

It appears that Graham's first fall was not included in the news reel footage. However, the second, third and fourth falls are featured. I feel that Big Heart’s rope-hang move led to him being deemed unable to continue in the fifth fall.

The Texas Rules moniker was just a colourful term to signify that the bout was not being contested under the usual eight rounds of the time. Instead, the match was being fought under a best out of five falls with no time limit gimmick.

Cheers!

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day, Ed,

I think this clip is a classic of its time and have been surprised at the lack of response to it. The footage was in my "Wake the Dead" file for use when I overpost Singh matches. It has not awakened the dead, alas, although I did receive two nice emails about seeing Graham and Big Heart in their primes and viewing the extraordinarily rare 360-degree flip into a rope strangle.

It would appear I'm on my own wavelength and I appreciate your kind comment and key details regarding the match.

Speaking of wavelength, it's time for me to turn on the radio to get today's weather report from Mars.

Ken

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think this clip is a classic of its time and have been surprised at the lack of response to it.

doc says: Take two I.Q. diminishers, and call me in the morning.

[ 08-11-2013, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: doc ]

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
Originally posted by doc:
quote:

I think this clip is a classic of its time and have been surprised at the lack of response to it.

The last time I did that I woke up in Detroit.

Ken

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Viewer:
quote:
quote:

Ken

Do it again, and I'll meet you at the Bankrupt Cafe. Breakfast will be my treat.

--------------------
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

Do it again, and I'll meet you at the Bankrupt Cafe. Breakfast will be my treat.
I'm always available for a free breakfast, though didn't the Bankrupt Café file for Chapter Seven liquidation and turn itself into a temporary pawnshop which has the missing Jerry Graham jacket/cape?

Ken

[ 08-11-2013, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

I'm always available for a free breakfast, though didn't the Bankrupt Café file for Chapter Seven liquidation and turn itself into a temporary pawnshop which has the missing Jerry Graham jacket/cape?

Ken

Why do you think I want to meet you there? That jacket be too heavy for one man to carry by hissef, son.

--------------------

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ken

Ken

Why do you think I want to meet you there? That jacket be too heavy for one man to carry by hissef, son.
Now I'm wised up.

Ken

Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken & doc,

As I've mentioned previously, I became a wrestling fan in 1964 with the advent of Jim Barnett and Johnny Doyle presenting their World Championship Wrestling promotion in Australia.

Unfortunately, Jerry Graham never worked for Barnett and Doyle in Australia so I did not get to see the good doctor in action.

Ken's posting of the footage of the Graham vs Chief Big Heart match in Sydney from 1956 has given me a glimpse of Dr Jerry's greatness.

The witty banter between Ken and doc is also very much appreciated.

If I ever get back to the USA I'd love to have a beer with you blokes.

Cheers!

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust:
G'day Ken & doc,

As I've mentioned previously, I became a wrestling fan in 1964 with the advent of Jim Barnett and Johnny Doyle presenting their World Championship Wrestling promotion in Australia.

Unfortunately, Jerry Graham never worked for Barnett and Doyle in Australia so I did not get to see the good doctor in action.

Ken's posting of the footage of the Graham vs Chief Big Heart match in Sydney from 1956 has given me a glimpse of Dr Jerry's greatness.

The witty banter between Ken and doc is also very much appreciated.

Cheers!

doc rehearses:

"Hold on, Ed, I'd like to--wait, where the--dammit! Sorry, Ed, I left my wallet in Saigon!"

--------------------

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

doc rehearses:

"Hold on, Ed, I'd like to--wait, where the--dammit! Sorry, Ed, I left my wallet in Saigon!"

The last time that was pulled on me was at lunch by a vice president for production of a division of Warner Bros. I shudda let both of us wash the dishes all afternoon rather that pull out my own wallet. A credit card would soon enough have appeared from the executive's shoe.

That bum is still in the Hollywood production business and nicknamed "Quicksand" by some colleagues. And I ended up spending my years posting links on a wrestling board.

Ken

doc
Member # 5897

quote:
doc rehearses:

The last time that was pulled on me was at lunch by a vice president for production of a division of Warner Bros. I shudda let both of us wash the dishes all afternoon rather that pull out my own wallet. A credit card would soon enough have appeared from the executive's shoe.

That bum is still in the Hollywood production business and nicknamed "Quicksand" by some colleagues. And I ended up spending my years posting links on a wrestling board.

Ken

I bet the ***** would rather be you, Brudda.

--------------------

Member # 76599

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust: G'day Ken & doc,
Cheers!

doc rehearses:

G'day doc,

Maybe we could meet "halfway" (over 8,800 miles for you and over 4,200 miles for me) for that beer ... in Saigon!

I'll help you look for your wallet while Ken buys the first round of drinks. [Wink]

Cheers!

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, the video doesn't work for me. :-(

I reckon that we can get an international tag team match going here. Ed's gonna need some backup ala Costello and Heffernan, so I propose Lock and 1derful vs Viewer and doc in Saigon!

Member # 76599

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 1derful:
Unfortunately, the video doesn't work for me. :-(

I reckon that we can get an international tag team match going here. Ed's gonna need some backup ala Costello and Heffernan, so I propose Lock and 1derful vs Viewer and doc in Saigon!

G'day Mr 1derful,

I couldn't think of a better partner than you my friend.

Cheers!

doc
Member # 5897

Having just watched the clip again, I notice a brilliant little moment at the beginning of the third fall of the match where, for maybe one point one seconds, The Good Doctor mimics Big Heart's war dance before the Chief knocks him on his ass. Among other things, Jerry was funny.

--------------------

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

quote:
Having just watched the clip again, I notice a brilliant little moment at the beginning of the third fall of the match where, for maybe one point one seconds, The Good Doctor mimics Big Heart's war dance before the Chief knocks him on his ass. Among other things, Jerry was funny.

Brudda, did you ever nail that spot in the film.
The Good Doctor could do what mere fans can only admire.

Ken

doc
Member # 5897

1956 was a good year for The Good Doctor. In addition to having been graced with the signature Gene Stanlee-style side-cut workboots, at that moment in time, he had his lucrative feud with The Nature Boy that year, too. Two years later, he and Eddie would rocket, together, to the top of Neon Mountain in Broadwayville. Six years after that the long downhillslide began, and the rest is his story.

[ 08-16-2013, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: doc ]

--------------------

Member # 76599

The old link to this footage doesn't appear to be functional at this point in time.

For those who wish to view the Dr Jerry Graham vs Chief Big Heart footage and for those who can afford to buy the footage a new link is located at
http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/733013868-jerry-graham-richard-vest-title-sequence-sydney-stadium

No embed from me as I believe that all rights, including copyright, belong to the Framepool agency (which is owned by Rightsmith Limited).

Our mate Ken Viewer, who created the wrestling films archive on Wrestling Classics' Lou Thesz Forum, can explain the situation much better than me. [Smile]

Cheers!

Krapulax
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krapulax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does the referee count a pinfall when the chief has Graham locked in the submission hold? (at 1:10)
Member # 76599

quote:
Originally posted by Krapulax:
Why does the referee count a pinfall when the chief has Graham locked in the submission hold? (at 1:10)

G'day Krapulax,

I believe that the referee, Harold Norman, slapped the canvas on the two occasions when he asked Dr Jerry Graham if he wanted to submit to Chief Big Heart's Bow & Arrow hold.

Graham submitted on the second occasion.

Cheers!

Ed

50 years fan
Member # 5632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 years fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS FEUD WAS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE 56-58 TIME FRAME

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations