WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Does anyone know the exact date of promoter Johnny Doyle’s death, please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone know the exact date of promoter Johnny Doyle’s death, please?
Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G’day,

I know that promoter Johnny Doyle died in 1969.

Can anyone tell me the exact date (day and month) of Doyle’s death, please?

Thank you.

Cheers!

IP: Logged
Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing Ed, as you've probably already discovered, is that there is very little information available on Johnny Doyle at all. I've wanted to do a profile on him for Australianwrestling.org for a long time, but I can't seem to find any worthwhile info on him at all!
Geoff from Melbourne
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff from Melbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its strange that the Australian Wrestling News never even made any mention of Doyle's passing in their 1969 or 1970 issues ? They simply went from calling WCW a Barnett & Doyle promotion to a Jim Barnett promotion. Possibly due to the behind the scenes people staying out of the spotlight back in those days ?

--------------------
Geoff from Melbourne

Geoff from Melbourne
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff from Melbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only real information I can find is from Tim Hornbakers book "National Wrestling Alliance-the untold story of the monopoly that strangled Pro Wrestling"...he wrote of Barnett..."In August 1969 his membership application into the National Wrestling Alliance was approved unanimously and two months later he suffered the loss of Doyle, his promotional partner of ten years, of cancer"....On that info it would mean Doyle died in October 1969 ?

--------------------
Geoff from Melbourne

Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff from Melbourne:
The only real information I can find is from Tim Hornbakers book "National Wrestling Alliance-the untold story of the monopoly that strangled Pro Wrestling"...he wrote of Barnett..."In August 1969 his membership application into the National Wrestling Alliance was approved unanimously and two months later he suffered the loss of Doyle, his promotional partner of ten years, of cancer"....On that info it would mean Doyle died in October 1969 ?

G’day Geoff,

Thanks very much mate.

Your information confirms my recollections of the time.

At the TV tapings on Saturday 11 October 1969 Billy Robinson defeated Dory Dixon in a (using old school terminology) scientific match. Commentator Sam Menacker announced that this bout was dedicated to the recently deceased Johnny Doyle.

As expected, Robinson and Dixon had a great match. Robinson won when he caught Dixson’s attempted Flying Cross Body Press and countered with a Bridging Fallaway Slam into a pin.

My research has revealed that this match was either replayed on Melbourne TV on Sunday 12 October 1969 or the contestants had a return bout on that date. The finish was exactly the same.

Hopefully, members of the Aussie Posse saw the Billy Robinson vs Dory Dixon contest/s.

Cheers!

Micawber
Member # 78610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Micawber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ed % all,

I relayed your question to Micawber as I knew he'd be interested. He's in the UK for Ascot he goes every year.
He won't be back for ages though as he'll be at The Ashes for the whole thing. He's been to every series since 1953 which was also his honeymoon. Grandma wasn't too impressed I still hear said.

He remembers Doyle dying because he attended a wake in his honour. Co-incidentaly he just recovered one of his old diaries recently from a home in Ireland that he hasnt seen since the early 1970s. There is an entry written on Monday October 13th 1969. It says that Johnny has passed away and Sam Menacker is awfully sad as they went way back. Micawber says he was told about it at the Stadium on the Friday night previous. There was a wake a week or two later & those that were there included lots of Kings Cross's most colourful identities and TV personalities from Channel 9 and actors and business people. The wrestlers he remembers being there included Blassie, Ron Miller, Sam Menacker, Roy Heffernen, Robinson, Brisco. Harry Miller was there & Young Dick came up with Jack Little too from Melbourne. Killer Kox and Dick Murdoch arrived together later and drunk. Some detectives came to question them about an incident in a club earlier but funnily enough it was all made to go away because the owners of all the clubs were at the wake.

He remembers Fred Blassie saying he had known Doyle forever and they sounded like good old friends. Later though all Fred's stories were about Johnnys lifestyle and womanising. He says the way Fred spoke it was hard to tell whether he loved the guy or hated his guts, he called him a son of a ***** so often. Barnett was away but they held a dinner at the Chevron when he got back. BTW, Micawber is walking with a cane himself nowadays after a fall at Randwick races a few months back. He's very Blassie himself, poking people with the stick after a few drinks. Am hoping he doesn't start wearing the shiney suits too.

He also says that the only reason Aus wrestling wasn't in the NWA earlier was because Doyle and Sam were against it. He doesn't think Sam was a partner but he had a lot of influence and was respected for his game knowledge. Barnett had another shareholder who was a Sydney business man who was sold on the idea to jump ship to NWA immediately. There was no longer any opposition. Sam didn't hang around long after that but Micawber reckons it had more to do with his reason for fleeing the country many years before when ever, but thats a story for another day and for a better story teller than myself. Give him a few months

That's all there is, there isn't any more.

Davey

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. 1derful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Davey.

That sort-of matches up with my thoughts which I posted elsewhere - once Doyle was gone, Barnett ran to the NWA post haste. I didn't realise that Sam Menacker had quite so much influence, but it makes sense because he was always a Verne ally.

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blassie first worked in Los Angeles in 1944 and returned in 1952 & 1953, Fred would have known Doyle really well. Doyle was king in LA until driven out. Doyle restarted the war in 1962 when Blassie was WWA WC. So Fred probably had a lot of feelings about him. Johnny Doyle was a major figure in the history of Los Angeles wrestling.

If someone could turn up the place of his death it would help also. Where was he living at the time? --Yohe

[ 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone going to write a biography of the mysterious Johnny Doyle beyond the article planned by Mr. 1derful, who, I hope, posts his tome here?

Ken

Mr. 1derful
Member # 5666

Actually Ken, when I get it, I'll post a link to our website for it, if that's ok.
Member # 76599

G'day Davey,

Thanks for sharing Micawber's always knowledgeable and interesting thoughts with us.

It's great to have you "minding the store", as such, while Micawber attends Ascot and The Ashes.

I had a big chuckle when I read that your Grandma wasn't real impressed about her honeymoon being a backdrop to the 1953 Ashes Tour of England. [Smile]

Micawber continues to enthral me even when he is not in our great country.

Mate, your post indicates that you might have had more than a passing interest in pro wrestling. If that is the case, I really hope that you will contribute your thoughts whenever you have an opportunity.

Cheers!

Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Davey,

Thanks fo your update on Micawbers latest adventure. I dunno mate looks like you are doing alright in the old story telling skills. Your Granfather ( if I am getting the lineage correct) has definitely passed on his writing skills to you.

Tell him the Aussie posse says Gidday and we are expecting more if his stories on his return. I think he should turn to writing an advice column if he can get away with that on his Honeymoon... I thought I did well to just slink away to drink a few beers !!

Cheers,

Aussie Mike in DC

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doyle passed away from cancer on Oct. 9, 1969 at Loma Linda Hospital not too far from where he lived in Palm Springs Calif.

It's all in Tim Hornbaker's book on the NWA. The greatest book on wrestling's history.--Steve Yohe

[ 07-03-2013, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Micawber
Member # 78610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Micawber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Steve that is spot on with Micawber's memory and diary. He heard the news on Friday 10/10 at the stadium so Johnny dying the day before tallys. My dad also told me today that it was California, as he has a great memory for all this and that no one seemed to know how badly sick he was out here. As Micawber says I'm glad you blokes are not forensic accountants looking into my affairs.

Mr Lock my own memory of wrestling only goes to the first Wrestlemania. I am a WWF tragic and can't remember the Aussie wrestling at all. My father can remember the first shows here in 1964 and lots of detail he used to go to the big Sunday lunches in Sydney as a kid, where Barnetts silent partner would host a crowd at his house. Barnett was there a lot and he got invites for the wrestlers but only those who could use a knife and fork if you get my drift. He says Kowalski was a very kind man to him as a kid and even gave him the claw a few times on the couch. Once Spoiler was asked to apologise for throwing food or something. He refused and walked out followed by Playboy Gary in protest. Wasn't invited back. I'm sure it would be easy to compile alist of wrestlers who never got that invite.

I only know a bit of this because of listening to them endlessly ratting on about it when there on the lager. My original answer was dicated to me by phone from London extremely loudly by Micawber at one of his dodgy London clubs after a big day out. Very hard to hear or get the spelling right and I got more than an earfull. Same club he used to go with the old legend Mick McManus but sadly Mick died in recent times. I went with him once years back and met Mick but never again. If youve ever watched Minder and remember the "Winchester club" then you will know what I mean.

Yes Mike for better or worse he's my grandad. He tells my own son that he's 117 years old and was NWA champion for 20+ years. Advice column is a bad idea. More than one listener has ended up in Long Bay after taking him seriously.

That's all there is, there isn't any more.

Davey

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations