WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » FILM: King Kong Czaja vs Primo Carnera in Australia in 1957

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FILM: King Kong Czaja vs Primo Carnera in Australia in 1957
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Primo Carnera and King Kong Czaja try to apply wrestling holds to each other in this 2/14/1957 match in Sydney, Australia -- RTT 2/21/1957. DQ-finish viewing is marred by lack of a spotlight to shine on the two wrestlers and by standing spectators.

As the narrator states, the combined age of the two in-ring...er... out-of-ring rasslers is over 100 years. Again, no footage of Czaja from his younger, less-extraordinarily-fat, more-agile years. I do my best to find earlier footage. What was it Lou Thesz said here about Czaja?

Ken

CLICK HERE and then click again.

-

[ 06-09-2013, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...

... *sigh* from the Sunshine State...

--------------------
Anybody who says 'I'm here to solve problems, not create them' is about to create a problem.

Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken,

I believe that the date of this Primo Carnera vs King Kong Czaja match in Sydney may have been 14 February 1957.

Results of the show were:
Emil Koroschenko defeated Constantin Popesco by 2 falls to 1
George Pencheff drew with Baron von Heczey 1 fall each
Wadi Ayoub drew with Tarlok Singh 1 fall each
Primo Carnera vs King Kong was declared a no contest in the fifth round (Carnera won the first fall in the second round; Czaja won the second fall in the fourth round).

The promoter was George Gardner.

The commentary contains tennis references as the bout was held at Sydney's White City Tennis Centre.

Jim Barnett regularly presented his Australian World Championship Wrestling shows at White City Tennis Centre from October 1970 to February 1971.

After the Sydney Stadium closed in July 1970 World Championship Wrestling events were presented in various suburban venues until the promotion moved to White City.

Residents' complaints about the noise level during shows eventually forced the promotion to leave the Tennis Centre.

Cheers!

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day, Ed,

The match date has been corrected thanks to your research, and the explanation of the specifics of the era is very much appreciated.

When was Czaja in his prime (and is there footage or at least photographic documentation), or was this 1950s era in fact that prime?

Ken

Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Ken,

My interest in pro wrestling began in 1964 with Jim Barnett's World Championship Wrestling promotion in Australia.

I never saw King Kong Czaja in action as he didn't work for Barnett's promotion.

Libnan Ayoub would be the best source for information regarding King Kong. Unfortunately, Lib hasn't posted here for quite some time.

Cheers!

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Steve,

Thanks very much for the article/obituary on Czaja. Among other things, makes me wonder why we don't spell his name as "CzaYa" here since it was spelled that way in the New Zealand/Australian publication. Anyone ever find out what happened to his wife?

Ken

[ 07-31-2013, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Czaja is the correct spelling, it's pronounced as Czaya.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Member # 76599

G'day Steve,

Thanks for posting the King Kong article written by my old pen pal and mate, Dave Cameron.

You noted that Czaja, the correct spelling, is pronounced as Czaya. How is Czaja actually pronounced please mate? When Czaya Nandor wrestled in Australia in 1965 and 1967 his name was pronounced "Chi –uh".

The photo of King Kong and Steve Rickard double teaming Eddie Williams in Dave's article also intrigues me. I believe that Ed Etifier (aka Eddie Morrow aka Jack Claybourne) also used the name Eddie Williams during his career. I have a vague recollection that he may have been called "Black Cat" Eddie Williams in France in the 1960s but can't find a particular old Wrestling Revue magazine to confirm same.

The photo accompanying Dave's article looks like Etifier (with his back to the camera) to me yet results from Singapore list Ed as wrestling there as Jack Claybourne in 1969. The original Jack Claybourne, of course, sadly died in 1960.

Can you confirm if Eddie Williams in the photo is Ed Etifier (aka Eddie Morrow aka Jack Claybourne), please mate?

Cheers!

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

I'm no expert on Hungarian pronunciation, but from what I picked up when we were discussing Sandor Szabo:

J - sounds like Y

C - sounds like ts

Sz or Zs - sounds like a soft s

S - sounds like sh

Cs - sounds like Ch, so Cz might also have a similar sound.

I don't know about Eddie Morrow/Jack Claybourne being billed as Eddie Williams. I can ask Dave C. Here are a couple of ads from Singapore, 1969, where he is billed as Claybourne:

-
 -

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Micawber
Member # 78610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Micawber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gday Ken,

King Kong and his wife actually lived on the next block to Micawber back in the day and he used to see them about the place. King Kong liked to lounge about all of the day at Bondi beach when he was in town. I don't konow much more than that.

I will put the question to him on his return to Oz in Sept when I will have to move back out of the big house to my more much cosy quarters.

Cheers
Davey

Member # 76599

G'day Davey,

Thanks for posting the info on Micawber's old neighbour, King Kong.

Good to hear from you, mate.

Cheers!

Ed

Member # 76599

G'day Steve,

Thanks for the Hungarian lesson and the Singapore ads, mate. [Smile]

Our good friend, the very knowledgeable Geoff from Melbourne, has confirmed via Wrestling Revue and Ring Wrestling magazine articles that Ed Etifier did indeed wrestle as Eddie Williams (as well as Eddy Williams, Jack Claybourne and Jackie Claybourne).

There are some interesting names in the Singapore ads that you posted.

To my knowledge, Shintaro Fuji was not the famous Mr Fuji (Harry Fujiwara). Mr Fuji used the name Shintaro Fuji in the World Championship Wrestling promotion of Jim Barnett and Johnny Doyle in Australia in 1967.

I recall seeing a picture of the wrestler who used the name Shintaro Fuji in Singapore and he appeared to be smaller than Mr Fuji and (with due respect to Harry Fujiwara) somewhat better looking.

I think that the Singapore version of Shintaro Fuji may have wrestled in New Zealand so perhaps you or Dave Cameron may know his identity.

The wrestler billed as Londos in the ads is Charlie Kontellis, who used the name Charlie Londos in Singapore. Charlie is, of course, the brother of Tony Kontellis. The Kontellis Brothers were Greek wrestlers who were domiciled in Australia. They were both mainstays of George Gardiner's promotion but later worked for Jim Barnett's World Championship Wrestling promotion.

Perhaps the wrestler listed as Walker is Red Walker. Do you know if that is the case, please Steve?

Mr X was Frank Black (aka Earl Black), who was born in England, trained by Steve Rickard in New Zealand and lived for a time in Australia. I'm sure that you are familiar with the globetrotting Black.

Do you have any idea which wrestler used the name M. Martin in Singapore, please Steve?

Sheikh Ali was, of course, Wadi Ayoub.

Cheers!

Member # 76599

G'day Steve Ogilvie,

Your posts on the Wrestling Classics Message Board over the last few days have prompted me to repeat these questions for you.

Do you know the identity of Shintaro Fuji on your 7 June 1969 Singapore poster, please?

As mentioned above, I don't believe that it was the famous Mr Fuji (Harry Fujiwara).

Is Red Walker the wrestler who is listed as Walker on the same poster? If not, do you know the identity of Walker, please?

Do you have any idea which wrestler used the name M. Martin in Singapore, please Steve? Mad Dog Martin and Kevin Martin don't fit in this time frame.

Thank you.

Cheers!

Micawber
Member # 78610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Micawber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This from my in-house family wrestling historian who doesn't ring his Dad often enough: these same six wrestlers were involved in a serious airport brawl in Indonesia. Guns were drawn, arrests made etc.

Although I have no personal memory, it was news in the Australian papers around the same time.

My historian does not lie often. I managed to dissuade him from that course at a crucial age.

As for Fuji, I have an idea he used a first name when he first landed here. Again though, my memory is diluted enough to draw a blank on the details.

Member # 76599

G'day Micawber,

Your "in-house family wrestling historian" is spot on, mate.

The 1969 airport brawl in Jakarta, Indonesia involved King Kong (your old neighbour in Bondi), Steve Rickard and the masked Mr X (Earl Black) vs Jack Claybourne ("Jr"), Shintaro Fuji (not Harry Fujiwara) and Charlie Londos (Charlie Kontellis).

Apparently the heels thought that an attack on the babyfaces, while all 6 were at the airport, would hype the upcoming wrestling show.

The airport security (purportedly army personnel) thought otherwise and interpreted the "assault" by a masked man and his cronies on, in particular, a Caribbean gentleman and an Asian fellow as an act of racial violence.

The story is that the wrestling promoter had to provide the soldiers with an inducement before the actual show could proceed in Jakarta.

Cheers!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations